Options

Who do you consider to be the Queen of soul?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
Forum Member
✭✭
Same rules as the King of soul thread, feel free to add your own suggestions. Here are my top 4

4. Aretha Franklin; I need to listen to more of her songs to be honest, but I like the soothing sound of You make me feel like a natural woman and Respect is such an awesome song

3. Gladys Knight & the Pips; Best and most iconic song has to be Midnight Train to Georgia, but Gladys Knight & the Pips are equally good at ballads. Best thing that ever happened to me being a personal favourite

2. Tina Turner; A bit of a controversial suggestion as some would consider Tina Turner to be a rock singer. But I can't get enough of What's love got to do with it, while Private Dancer and I don't wanna lose you are such raw and vulnerable songs

1. Diana Ross & the Supremes; Diana Ross has such a vast back catalogue both as a solo artist and in the Supremes. My favourite ballads are Baby Love and Remember Me while favourite uptempo tracks are You keep me hangin' on and Why do fools fall in love

Who do you consider to be the Queen of soul? 24 votes

Aretha Franklin
83% 20 votes
Gladys Knight & the Pips
0% 0 votes
Tina Turner
0% 0 votes
Diana Ross & the Supremes
4% 1 vote
Other
12% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aretha!!!! At her peak that voice could chop wood at a 100 paces.

Diana Ross had some great tunes but her voice was weedy in comparison.

Feel your love for Tina Turner too. River Deep is a tuuuuuuune!!!

Honourable mentions to Patti Labelle and Gloria Jones too. Actually there's loads of fantastic female singers I could name.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulu.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one answer. Aretha.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unlike 'whos the king of soul' , a title that appears never to have been applied to anyone, aretha has been referred to as 'the queen of soul' for several decades now.

id argue that tina turners best material was her early output, with hubby ike, produced by phil spector.. you dont get much better then 'river deep, mountain high'.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted for Aretha but this is a very subjective topic. Aretha's style was almost pure gospel whereas Diana Ross was much more of a pop singer, Tina Turner had a strong blues influence and so on - which one you prefer depends on which style of singing works for you.

In fact having thought about it I wish Nina Simone had been an option.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aretha is the queen of soul, you just need to google it
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    aretha is the queen of soul, you just need to google it

What's Google got to do, got to do with it?
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    What's Google got to do, got to do with it?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aretha, but Nina Simone is a close second.

Tina Turner wasnt really soul imo.
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it would always be Aretha. Even when you take her technical vocal ability out of the equation, the way she could interpret a song (particularly in her prime) was phenomenal.

If anyone is looking for a good Aretha collection I would recommend 'The Delta Meets Detroit' which has her more blues-influenced numbers. It includes 'good to me as I'm good to you' which is my favourite Aretha track ever :-)
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Other...all her albums are great and she can still cut it live after all these years.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    I love Other...all her albums are great and she can still cut it live after all these years.

That made me lol.

Wish there was a like button on this forum.