Options

Cameron considering staying on past 2020?

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
This was inevitable:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11795172/David-Cameron-will-fight-2020-election-senior-Tories-believe.html

When Cameron made the comment it was assumed by everyone including the Tories that we were heading for another hung parliament and DC would be lucky to still be PM. The shock majority together with the imploding Labour party has completely changed things.

I imagine the public wouldn't hold it against him. Sure there would be some noise from Labour but that would blow over. The issue would probably be Osborne. It may trigger a Tory version of Brown vs Blair.. with Osborne angry that Cameron had gone back on his word to step down.

Comments

• Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Cameron doing a u turn, how unexpected.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't all politicians just say what folk want to hear in the main?

Im sure he will not be the last politician to do a U turn.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was inevitable:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11795172/David-Cameron-will-fight-2020-election-senior-Tories-believe.html

When Cameron made the comment it was assumed by everyone including the Tories that we were heading for another hung parliament and DC would be lucky to still be PM. The shock majority together with the imploding Labour party has completely changed things.

I imagine the public wouldn't hold it against him. Sure there would be some noise from Labour but that would blow over. The issue would probably be Osborne. It may trigger a Tory version of Brown vs Blair.. with Osborne angry that Cameron had gone back on his word to step down.

I don't think Cameron has any intention of staying on. All the noise on this coming from those that want him out. They're doing their level best to remind him of what he's said and make sure that he stands by his word.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    If it works for Farage...
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be gone...with a chance Dave will manage to lose two referendums he brought on himself by 2020 what chance the Tories would trust him with another election?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The issue would probably be Osborne. It may trigger a Tory version of Brown vs Blair.. with Osborne angry that Cameron had gone back on his word to step down.

If that's the worst problem the party has to face nearing 2020 they'll have done very well.

As previously mentioned the referendum, and its fallout is likely to prove far more 'interesting' for the Tories than what Cameron decides to do.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member

With Dave the u turn is the norm. A paper bag in a hurricane gets blown about less than him.
  • Options
    johnny121johnny121 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I guess he figured that a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour party would mean a landslide Tory election win. I bet George Osborne will be seriously peed off, if Cameron does indeed change his mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny121 wrote: »
    I guess he figured that a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour party would mean a landslide Tory election win. I bet George Osborne will be seriously peed off, if Cameron does indeed change his mind.

This ^^^^

Old Dave will be sweating like Eric Pickles in a sauna if JC is elected.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegraph talking to Boris who is stirring. Boris has been sidelined with Osborne in accendance. Cameron will go. He's said all along two terms is enough.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He copped so much flack for the statement that he wouldn't run for a third term (which was given off the cuff) that he's now got a well rehearsed line making it clear he intends to stay for the full five years.

I suspect that's disappointed a few in the party who are trying to desperately spin it into something it isn't.

It doesn't sound any different from what I expected to be honest, Cameron to remain to the end of term with the war king crowned in September 2019 to lead the campaign
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems like if he just said what folk wanted to hear then folk must have wanted him to step down.

So is it Cameron who has done a U Turn or is it the folk ?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Telegraph talking to Boris who is stirring. Boris has been sidelined with Osborne in accendance. Cameron will go. He's said all along two terms is enough.

Think theres a bit more to it than that. The Sun originally broke the story suggesting some Tory MPs feel Cameron would be better staying on. And a suggestion that it's going to come down to if Sam allows him to or not.

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/want-cam-work-on-sam-a-third-term-depends-on-the-missus/
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think theres a bit more to it than that. The Sun originally broke the story suggesting some Tory MPs feel Cameron would be better staying on. And a suggestion that it's going to come down to if Sam allows him to or not.

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/want-cam-work-on-sam-a-third-term-depends-on-the-missus/

As if. Sam openly admits that she looks forward to day her and kids are out of Downing St bubble. Sounds very sensible to me. Sam never seems caught up in prestige of it all. This is papers stirring as per.