Did you shower after PE at school?

Comments

• DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently my younger friends have said that showers were no longer compulsory when they were at school. As much as I am cool with nudity myself, forcing people to strip off in front of other people is just plain wrong, especially when people are going through puberty. This only leads to embarrassment and bullying. They should look at installing a few private cubicles if they want more people to shower.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    only if it was unavoidable. they should have cubicles not a communal shower.
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

They were there, in cubicles next to the toilets. The only time we used them was when you got pushed under it and somebody else turned it on :(.

I remember having cross country every year, I remember one particular cross country where I got really muddy (Fell into the mud) but I didn`t have a shower...I think it was the end of the school day anywho so went home with muddy legs..either that or I did rub it all off with a towel.

I`m glad I didn`t get forced to have one, because my confidence is fine when my hair is in the style I want it to be, when it`s natural..Wavy..my self esteem/confidence drops.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after kids stopped showering, global warming began ........
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our school used to have this horrible shower block which you were forced to use after cross country running. I hated it. The water was always cold and I was always concerned about my cock being small! Also the PE teacher used to stand there and watch making sure all the boys were naked and throughly rinsed their bits. Awful. I still have a dread of gym showers now even though I pay £30 a month for the priviledge of using them!
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, never. Our showers always seemed to be locked but I think the sports teams might have used them after school.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only when made to which was about twice.

Still ran around like a loon and the same at luch time too playing football, cricket or tennis. Didn't care if stunk of sweat.
  • Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not if I could help it! Usually we'd run back to the changing rooms before the teacher got there and take off our PE kit, wrap our towels around us and wet our legs and shoulders in the shower before she got back. I got caught out once when the teacher spotted I'd managed to have a shower without getting my socks wet:D She used to sit directly opposite the doorway to make sure we all went in:o I seem to recall most of us were constantly on our periods during the first 3 years of senior school, as that was the only way we were excused, LOL!

It was one big communal shower and there were around 35-40 of us in each class, but I remember once there was this girl who never did PE, she was very overweight and had lots of body hair and was very self conscious of it and the sadistic cow that called herself our PE teacher forced her to go in the shower after the one time she did PE. The poor girl was mortified, in the end we were all asked to leave the changing room so she could shower in private.

As much as teenagers do need to shower and wash regularly, this was a horrible practice and I really hope kids aren't subjected to this now like we were!
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandatory for us too.

Most tried to get away with dipping their head in to get their hair wet. Depending on who the teacher was you got away with that or not. Coming in covered in mud after rugby or football in the middle of winter and I was quite glad of the shower.

Water pressure was abysmal and there was one temperature, scalding hot.

Usual risks getting flicked with a towel, some joker hiding your pants. The time of your life apparently.:D
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were never allowed enough time to wash or dry ourselves properly.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PE sessions were only an hour often - with 40 girls in a two form lesson, it would have been a ridiculously short lesson if you had to get us all showered in the three cubicles available.

No one from the prettiest, most preened girl to the least groomed nobody, ever took a shower. I don't remember anyone either slacking off in the lesson or smelling particularly afterwards either.

People who claim they need to shower after the slightest bit of activity and imply anything less is unsanitary are one of my biggest peeves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember our PE class was always the last double lesson of the day so we stopped 15 mins before the end of the second period for a compulsory shower.

We had a bath at home so having a shower was a bit of a new experience, one would be smart enough to bring in the biggest beach towel you could find so during the drying process one would reveal as little of your nakedness as possible and it also enabled the tricky manouvre of getting yer pants back on while under the towel.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was 50/50 for me.

When I first started secondary school they were mandatory because we were all covered head to toe in mud from playing Rugby. You couldn't not have a shower.

But we reached a point where the PE teachers didn't seem to care anymore.. we stopped playing Rugby in the winter and the showers stopped soon after.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I'm going back to the sixties here - you could only get out of a shower after P.E. if you were declared clinically dead.

Anyone caught trying to bunk off having a shower was given a whacking and in just your gym shorts that really hurt.

Having said that I used to like a shower after an hour or so on the playing fields. Embarrassment and shyness was not something we knew about in the sixties - this is a recent phenomenon of our precious society of today. :blush:
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    I'm going back to the sixties here - you could only get out of a shower after P.E. if you were declared clinically dead.

Anyone caught trying to bunk off having a shower was given a whacking and in just your gym shorts that really hurt.

Having said that I used to like a shower after an hour or so on the playing fields. Embarrassment and shyness was not something we knew about in the sixties - this is a recent phenomenon of our precious society of today. :blush:

That is rubbish. Kids and their mindset havnt changed. I'm absolutely certain most teenage boys would NOT have wanted to get stark naked with their peers in a communal shower, whether now,mthe sixties or before that. The difference frankly was that back then you just were not allowed to complain or were scared to and were forced to. Considering your amazing sixties generation gave birth to our "precious" generation, it must not have done you must good in the end.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They were compulsory at my school until the year I started. A new PE block had been built over the summer before I started, complete with shower facilities, but they were never used.

As I heard it, the compulsory rule was dropped for boys and girls after two boys were seriously attacked by a group of other boys in the showers for being allegedly gay. The school got held responsible and never forced showering again.

As someone who went through a lot of sexuality questioning through school, it was enough to worry the hell out of me, as much as I just wanted to be clean. There was nothing worse than having to run around in the middle of a summers day for an hour, and then having to get back into a sweaty uniform for an endless lesson of maths.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I never did P.E but those that did had to shower after.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Only in middle school thankfully. It was horrible. You had to undress, hang your towel up at the end of the showers then walk naked across the changing room to get to the shower entrance. I developed first out of my year so I got picked on quite a bit. I remember crying more than once in the changing room.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    Our school used to have this horrible shower block which you were forced to use after cross country running. I hated it. The water was always cold and I was always concerned about my cock being small!

I feel your shame, especially after a cold winter run when you looked down to see a hairy acorn.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We had a hateful PE teacher, she enjoyed seeing us upset and would stand there watching us naked at the age of 12 :( one day I felt unwell and went to the nurse at PE time, she came up after the lesson , dragged me back by my arm and forced me to undress in front of her and go in while she watched, I had never felt so ashamed and embarrassed, I was so upset I left my socks on and had to wear wet socks for the rest of the day :(

She kept a 'period' book, and would only let us miss showers for one lesson a month, she wrote it all down in her book.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We had a hateful PE teacher, she enjoyed seeing us upset and would stand there watching us naked at the age of 12 :( one day I felt unwell and went to the nurse at PE time, she came up after the lesson , dragged me back by my arm and forced me to undress in front of her and go in while she watched, I had never felt so ashamed and embarrassed, I was so upset I left my socks on and had to wear wet socks for the rest of the day :(

She kept a 'period' book, and would only let us miss showers for one lesson a month, she wrote it all down in her book.

Sounds like a sadistic les to me........
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    Sounds like a sadistic les to me........

Yes, at the time we just thought she was a bit evil, but looking back I am sure she got a thrill out of it :(
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Compulsory run through the cold showers at my school. With the PE master watching. We all suspected he enjoyed that bit of the lesson most. Unless he could give someone the plimsoll of course. That made his day.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    That is rubbish. Kids and their mindset havnt changed. I'm absolutely certain most teenage boys would NOT have wanted to get stark naked with their peers in a communal shower, whether now,mthe sixties or before that. The difference frankly was that back then you just were not allowed to complain or were scared to and were forced to. Considering your amazing sixties generation gave birth to our "precious" generation, it must not have done you must good in the end.

I was there, were you? Your comments reveal much. We used to get into trouble for larking about in the showers not because anyone was embarrassed.
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I always enjoyed singing the Rugby songs in the communal showers after PE. I can remember all the words now ... Nearly forty years later.