NEW [program name]

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Are there that many repeats these days that programs on the EPG have to be prefixed by it.

The main one is South Park on CC. Ok, it's nice to know that it's a new episode, but then once you've seen it it's not new anymore and they show about 4 repeats during the week.

On the latest episode I watched there was even a "NEW" logo on the titles (in the animation, not just a DOG)) and i'm not sure if it was added by the creators or CC.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Nick UK and Disney (far too often) do it. Disney's worse, but Nick started it just this week :p
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rtetv32010 wrote: »
    Nick UK and Disney (far too often) do it. Disney's worse, but Nick started it just this week :p

Sky have shown ''The Lion Man'' so many times the tape must be falling to bits.And never once have they told us why the series was axed:rolleyes:
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly appreciate some kind of "new" marker in EPGs. I record Gossip Girl, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives for a student who can't rely on being able to watch them at college, and trying to make sure that I have got the latest (and only the latest) episodes recorded for her is a nightmare.
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I would certainly appreciate some kind of "new" marker in EPGs. I record Gossip Girl, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives for a student who can't rely on being able to watch them at college, and trying to make sure that I have got the latest (and only the latest) episodes recorded for her is a nightmare.

I recommend TVGuide.co.uk, their brilliant for episode numbers for when a programme is broadcast.

Gossip Girl: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Gossip%20Girl

Ugly Betty: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Ugly%20Betty

Desperate Housewives: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Desperate%20Housewives
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    I recommend TVGuide.co.uk, their brilliant for episode numbers for when a programme is broadcast
    Many thanks, that looks very helpful.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    As I say, it might be helpful if there is one new episode a week and that's all the channel show, but taking South Park as the example then even it gets confusing with the amounts of repeats and double bills of new episodes.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind it being in the EPG or listings info of magazines at all, but I just don't want such things onscreen!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I have noticed is that some shows are now including the series number in the opening titles AND the EPG.

This can help when multiple channels show different series of the same show.

FX HD for instance billed the just ended Dexter as Dexter Season 4 and the new NCIS is also billed as NCIS Season 8.

The season number is prominently displayed on the opening credits of both shows.

The 'New' thing helps with all the repeats but I do wonder about the tendancy to say 'All New'.

Begs the question what is a 'Part New' episode and why do they think we need to be told there is a difference?

Surely an episode is either new or a repeat making All New just silly.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    YBF is the worst for this. ITV2 airs "All New You've Been Framed!" on Wednesday nights which is a repeat of Saturday night's ITV1 episode.

Each episode of this programme is virtually the same anyway, so it's odd that they have chosen to mark it in this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'New' thing helps with all the repeats but I do wonder about the tendancy to say 'All New'.

Begs the question what is a 'Part New' episode and why do they think we need to be told there is a difference?

It's a revised repeat. Hence, when Busty Beeny goes back to revisit someone's house being done up, it's a 'new' episodes, but it's not 'all new'. It's just the further introduction of stupid Americanisms into our programming.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    It's a revised repeat. Hence, when Busty Beeny goes back to revisit someone's house being done up, it's a 'new' episodes, but it's not 'all new'. It's just the further introduction of stupid Americanisms into our programming.

another Americanism.. 'Season' no they are 'Series'

If the USA wish to call it Season 2 or whatever, but in the UK is's Series 2 !

Give it 12 months and we will have the ad breaks the same as the USA too:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »

American series as 'seasons' wherever they are. UK series are 'series' wherever they are.

And Doctor Who was on Series 31, not Series 5.

I think Sky once tried US-style ad breaks in the Simpsons, or I might be imagining that, I can't remember exactly.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    abc1 used to mirror the ad patterns of the U.S. networks. I actually grew to quite like it, it meant you got a big massive uninterrupted chunk of the programme in the middle with an ad break near the very start and end.

It worked well with U.S. sitcoms because the programmes were designed to be watched that way. Whether it would work quite so well with UK content, I don't know.
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »

DVDfever wrote: »
    American series as 'seasons' wherever they are. UK series are 'series' wherever they are.

And Doctor Who was on Series 31, not Series 5.

I think Sky once tried US-style ad breaks in the Simpsons, or I might be imagining that, I can't remember exactly.
    I thought the "season" was so called because they schedule shows for the seasons throughout the year. Isn't the big deal in the US the AUTUMN (not Fall :p) season?

and yes, The Simpsons on Sky1 did use the US style/timed ad breaks for their Thurday night premier double with The Simpsons and Modern Family.
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that on FX. Do they regularly show older series along side the "new" series?
    I suppose that is one bonus for CC as they show different episodes/series of SP all the time.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    rtetv32010 wrote: »

Nick UK is the same company as comedy central there all owned by MTV
    Forum Member
    I know it's bumping an old thread but I was just looking through the Sky EPG and was surprised to see just how many shows are now preceded by "New:"

BBC, ITV and C4 seem to avoid it but after that there seems to be a New: listing on many of the channels each night.

A sample from tonight

Channel 5 - New: The First Great Escape
    Sky1 HD - New: Hawaii Five-O > New: NCIS: Los Angeles

Sky Living HD - New: Chicago Fire > New: Harley Street
    Universal HD - New: Rake > New: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
    SyFy HD - New: The Originals > New: Lost Girl
    Fox HD - New: The Walking Dead
    TLC HD - New: Breaking Amish
    MTV HD - New: The Valleys > New: Are You The One?
    Sky Arts 1 HD - New: Soulpower
    Challenge - New: TNA Impact: 2014

Ah and there is a one for BBC Three - New: Wilfred
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't they do it so that the series link knows it's a new program to record and not a repeat you don't want?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Don't they do it so that the series link knows it's a new program to record and not a repeat you don't want?

Yes but how many times do they put "new" in front of a programme - then another episode straight after is not a new episode - and they put "New" in front of that as well.
    You still have to trawl through the "info" button to find out if a "new" episode is actually "new" or not.

If you get my drift !!
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEW should be in the I information section
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was a good idea when it was the first showing a new episode but now you'll find at least the first repeat of the show will also hold the "New" prefix and I tend to find that "All New" is now being used a lot as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ah and there is a one for BBC Three - New: Wilfred

Is that because people can't believe it's premiering new episodes at midnight? ;)

That really smacks of contractual obligation.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something of note to make me a little happy.

Alibi are no longer shoving the world 'New' in front of its showings of Murdoch Mysteries (the 'premiere' is on a Monday) anymore.

I did have to smirk over 'New' being placed ahead of New Tricks.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re my post #3 after months of research I have discovered the answer: it was axed because Busch was convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend after he found her in bed with a man and another woman.He was eventually removed from having anything to do with Zion although he denied all the various allegations against him.