Nytol

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody found this actually to work? I remember taking it many years ago and found that I couldn't sleep all night.

After finding it difficult to sleep last night I thought I would give it another go, thinking the first time must have been a fluke.

The result is why I'm now sitting here with the computer on and typing; when I was lying in bed, my legs felt as if they wanted to go on a five mile run.

Comments

• LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Totally useless.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Nytol not that effective - but expensive. Instead, try Asda's own make "Sleep Aid Tablets" Cost about £1.25 for a packet of about 18. 2 of these, and I get a much better sleep - but I only take them rarely as I'd hate to become addicted.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It keeps me awake . Tried it twice and both times I never slept a wink
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a few years ago I went for a few drinks after work, which turned into me falling through the front door at 3 in the morning. I woke up the next day with a hangover, but I was supposed to be going out that night for my best friends birthday which there was no way I could get out of. I knew that all I needed was a good sleep and I would be fine. So, I made myself sick, managed to get read of the hangover headache. Just needed to sleep but I couldn't...so I thought I would take Nytol. I took them at about 4pm, got into bed...but I could just not sleep at all...nothing. Anyway, with my headache gone and no longer feeling sick, I pulled myself together and went out that night for my friends birthday. We were all sitting in a bar and it must have been about 11pm and the Nytol must have kicked in because I couldn't keep my eyes open. There was scaffolding near where we were sitting and I had to hold onto the pole!! I was practically sliding down it.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I found that I had a good night's sleep but was not refreshed in the morning ~ in fact I felt like sh*t.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use nytol as I have trouble sleeping, I buy the packet where you only have to take one not two tablets.
    I bite it in half and take with water, about half an hour later I have a mug of warm milk, about an hour later I'm asleep.
    Btw I don't take it every night, just maybe once a week if I really need to get some sleep, also someone told me I shouldn't have the warm milk after, but it relaxes me.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I find Nytol not that effective - but expensive. Instead, try Asda's own make "Sleep Aid Tablets" Cost about £1.25 for a packet of about 18. 2 of these, and I get a much better sleep - but I only take them rarely as I'd hate to become addicted.

It's the same ingredient in Nytol as in Asda Sleep Aid. There is also herbal Nytol in a green packet though which is something different.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I find it works. Can't sleep without it TBH.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    One Nytol will knock me out for about fifteen hours. I have to halve the tablet and only take it if I'm not doing much the next day.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the ones where you have to take two. I'm convinced you could grind it up and sell it as amphetamine.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sominex works for me, except I feel like a Zombie all the next day.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Nope. Totally useless.

Yes, both the pharmaceutical and herbal Nytols are no good. Another easily available over the counter sleep aid, Sominex, is better.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night nurse will make you sleep..one glug of that and sweet dreams

Nytol is terrible if it makes you sleep you feel crap in the morning
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've tried many and apart from Kirland they have all been useless, especially the own brand ones. Some taste utterly disgusting as well.

I haven't tried sominex or night nurse. Might give them a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My husband has started working during the night on a Sunday and Monday night. I just can't sleep when he is not there. I feel ok on the Monday but feet totally shit on the tuesday. Have just been thinking of buying Nytol. Will not bother now (thanks to this thread) but will try the Night Nurse. I even tried 2 Diazepam tablets and a glass of Whisky, nope didn't work. >:(
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Has anybody found this actually to work? I remember taking it many years ago and found that I couldn't sleep all night.

After finding it difficult to sleep last night I thought I would give it another go, thinking the first time must have been a fluke.

The result is why I'm now sitting here with the computer on and typing; when I was lying in bed, my legs felt as if they wanted to go on a five mile run.

No. Nytol is an antihistamine, it's really not a very powerful drug. Sure it might work on some people, particularly those that want it to work, but for serious insomnia you seed something sedating.
    grumpyscot wrote: »

You really can't get addicted to antihistamines in any sort of meaningful way.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've tried many and apart from Kirland they have all been useless, especially the own brand ones. Some taste utterly disgusting as well.

I haven't tried sominex or night nurse. Might give them a try.

Yes, Kirkland Sleep Aid is also very effective but it does have to be imported from the USA.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to find that a couple of Piritons and a pint or two of cider worked wonders, but it seems they've altered all the formulas now and you have to be more particular of buying the correct type (of anti-histamine - not the cider).

I used to find that I felt a bit dulled when I woke up, but not in an unpleasant way. I wouldn't have felt inclined to go on to perform delicate cataract operations or intricate brain surgery, but it was certainly a huge relief on those two or three occasions a year when I just can't get to sleep.

I know of somebody who swears by Night Nurse for emergency oblivion when afflicted by a terrible cold, although he tends to drink the entire bottle.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes, Kirkland Sleep Aid is also very effective but it does have to be imported from the USA.
    Only recently though. Amazon used to stock it from UK vendors.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought some Nytol once - I'd had about a week of unbroken sleep so tried it. Didn't work and made me feel awful the next day so I threw them away. Never used them again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I find Nytol's very good at keeping you asleep one you're there, but not so good at getting you off in the first place!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on Nytol myself. They do work, but you have to be careful what you take with them - even a small alcohol drink, and prescribed drugs (including statins) can cause adverse effects and can cause the opposite effect of helping sleep!

Nytol herbal (for me) were worse than useless and made me feel really queasy all night.

Like mentioned above, I have found Asda Sleep Aid tablets worth trying. At only £1.35 a pack of 20 (2 recommended a night, though sometimes 1 is enough) they're cheap enough to try.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked my GP about these medications and she replied 'crap'.
  • garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    nytol for me was a complete waste of time could never sleep well on it and it gave me raging headache

went to the doctor and got some zopiclone and they done wonders for a while until i built tolerance to them.

went back to the doctors and he prescribed Temazepam and they were the best by far take a tab half an hour before wanting to go to bed and before I knew it i was out for the count.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works for me. I have one night every couple of months where I just can't sleep, and the longer it goes on the more i have no chance of sleeping (probably what insomniacs go through every night). It used to mess me up for a couple of days until I discovered nytol, now I knock myself out and then carry on as normal

Also use them the first couple of nights of a holiday

Edit - I use the one-a-night and sometimes half is enough. The herbal kept me awake and made me pee about 25 times. Also it doesn't feel like real sleep and I don't feel great for an hour after waking up, but it's better than not sleeping a wink