HDR-1800T not recording

BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
Forum Member
✭✭
My mum recently bought an 1800T. It will tune all the channels and the EPG works fine, but recordings don't work most of the time - the recorder just doesn't record anything at all, despite the record indicator appearing on the EPG, the machine just doesn't attempt to record and there's nothing showing in the Media list.

Various programmes on various channels. Occasionally one or two will record but 9 times out of 10, nothing.

Faulty box? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a known issue where the 1800T does not record when in standby. It has been reported on some other forum sites as well as mentioned on some user reviews.

Barry at myhumax .org was hoping that he would be able to report something on the matter by the end of this week. This does not mean that he will be able to or that a fix is imminent. I suggest you contact Humax support to see if they can do something for the 1800T now, or your mum asks for her money back.

As far as I am aware the only other alternative is not switch the 1800T to standby but leave it fully switched on all the time. I do not know for certain if switching power saving in standby off would help.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    ...As far as I am aware the only other alternative is not switch the 1800T to standby but leave it fully switched on all the time. I do not know for certain if switching power saving in standby off would help.
    It would be good for someone to try this and repoort back.
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll try both options and see what happens. Thanks again
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try both options and see what happens.
    I suggest you register at myhumax.org and add your report to the relevant thread and see if you get a PM from Barry.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If users head over to the forum mentioned in previous post they will find new software available for 1800T and 2000T.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote: »
    If users head over to the forum mentioned in previous post they will find new software available for 1800T and 2000T.
    Thanks's for the heads up. Having recently just bought a 1800T, I found it hard to believe that such an important feature had such a bug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Updated the software earlier, I'll see what happens now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem seems to be solved now - everything set to record was on the HDD this morning.

Yes it was silly for the software to be released with such a major bug (was it tested?!), but credit to Humax for getting it sorted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After downloading and putting the update onto a USB memory stick ready to install, the Mrs then tells me that the box offered her an update during the week, for which she said yes to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    After downloading and putting the update onto a USB memory stick ready to install, the Mrs then tells me that the box offered her an update during the week, for which she said yes to.
    Presumably the box is connected to the Internet and will have received the update that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the box is connected to the Internet and will have received the update that way.
    Yes, I did look for an option on the box to manually initiate over the internet but there isn't one. You have to wait for it to be offered unless you download it yourself and put it on a memory stick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Have had correspondence with Humax about this problem.
    They say:
    To fix, requires an software update.
    File to be downloaded, unzipped and placed on a Pen Drive (formatted Fat 32)
    To be inserted into unit, power-up and continuously hit the channel change on the remote
    ( V on the remote).
    How Humax could bring something out onto the market with this problem is a total mystery to me.
    My Humax bought in 2008 records in standby without a problem.
    My Humax 1800T was bought December 2014.
    Very dissatisfied, annoyed, in fact disgusted.
    Would not buy Humax in future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    helpoort wrote: »
    File to be downloaded, unzipped and placed on a Pen Drive (formatted Fat 32)
    To be inserted into unit, power-up and continuously hit the channel change on the remote
    ( V on the remote).
    It is V on the box not the remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To fix, requires an software update.
    An alternative way to do the update would be to temporarily connect the Humax to your router and leave it in standby. It should prompt you to install the update the next morning.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine had this problem when purchased. But as said, easy to download the update file via internet - a phone is fine - put on memory stick, insert that in the 1800, then update software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or as also said, defeat the ''auto power off'' in main settings, until you get it fixed.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baffled by the last 5 posts. The issue dates from 2014,

Especially post 13, the 1800T is not even a current box and it follows a post from 2014, it was replaced by the 2000T.

Afaik there is no new software for this box, and no recent reports of the issue on MyHumax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1800 is smaller version 2000 and still available. Mine purchased 1 year ago and needed update. Since when, been very good. Update at humax site, forums, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially post 13, the 1800T is not even a current box and it follows a post from 2014, it was replaced by the 2000T.
    Sorry that is wrong; the HDR-200T came first and then the HDR-1800T which is basically the same box with a smaller capacity hard drive. Both boxes are still listed on the Humax web site.
    Afaik there is no new software for this box, and no recent reports of the issue on MyHumax.
    The most recent software was released less than four months ago so I think it is perfectly feasible for there still to be some stock in the supply chain with old software versions although I agree it is a bit odd that this box appears to be on an original version.
    Forum Member
    In response to the post by LUIS ESSEX.
    Will attempt to update by pressing the 'V' on the box not the remote.
    This is possibly my error, will see and report back.
    Forum Member
    Tried as previous poster advised, 'press V on unit not remote, this also FAILED.
    All I can try now, is to connect the unit to my Router and leave it connected day and night.
    Will see what happens then.
    I remain frustrated and annoyed with Humax especially as my 'Old humax bought in 2008 will record in standby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried as previous poster advised, 'press V on unit not remote, this also FAILED.
    All I can try now, is to connect the unit to my Router and leave it connected day and night.
    Will see what happens then.
    I remain frustrated and annoyed with Humax especially as my 'Old humax bought in 2008 will record in standby.
    Was the HDR-1800T fully off , or just in standby?

If it was in standby try again and but this time start with the HDSR-1800T switched off at the plug.

Also what sometimes happens is that some people add an extra '.hdf' to the file name without realising that it is there already but hidden by default by windows. If you are using windows where or not you can see the true filename will depend on your windows setup.
    If in doubt download from humax support again but do not edit the name.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_releases.php?gid=554&pid=6
    Forum Member
    In reply, the unit was switched off at the wall plug and then on, immediately pressing the 'V' on the front of the unit, as reported, the attempt failed.
    I asked Humax AFTER connecting the unit to my Router DAY AND NIGHT
    Their reply was, NO, the only way to rectify the fault was as advised, to download, unzip file to pen drive and follow instructions.
    Have asked a friend who is more computer literate than me, to down load the file, unzip and place onto a pen drive. Will try again and report back.
    Forum Member
    Friend has been unable to help, busy with the aftermath of flooding at present.
    Will just wait until he has time. (my attempts to download, unzip put onto pen drive failed as previously reported).
    When I switch on after a short period of time it goes into standby.
    Will try as as another Poster recommended to 'Defeat Power in main settings'.
    Forum Member
    Turned off the 'power down' when not active.
    That seems to have done the 'trick', have recorded several times successfully.
    Will leave the pen drive solution for now.
    As a side comment, Honda has recalled 2 million of their cars because of THEIR fault (with air bags),
    Maybe Japanese Ethical and Integrity standards are rather better than Korean.
    Will never buy Humax again.