Options

Antiques Road Trip - Legal shenanigans?

StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
The second half of Antiques Road Trip tonight (28 Jan, with Anita Manning and James Braxton) had a very odd set up where Anita Manning was shown with the background blurred out and a voice over from Wonnacott saying "due to ongoing legal reasons" they couldn't show where she had shopped and what she didn't buy, Anyone got an idea what caused the ruckus?

Comments

• Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a sign there saying the Government is all mad, the BBC had to blurr it for revealing a state secret.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, but I wish "for legal reasons" they couldn't show the programmes at all. Antiques Roadshow yes.
    Any programme where they buy antiques at "retail" and try "to sell them at "wholesale, i.e, auctions where many bidders are dealers wanting to buy things to sell on) seems mostly a waste of time.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second half of Antiques Road Trip tonight (28 Jan, with Anita Manning and James Braxton) had a very odd set up where Anita Manning was shown with the background blurred out and a voice over from Wonnacott saying "due to ongoing legal reasons" they couldn't show where she had shopped and what she didn't buy, Anyone got an idea what caused the ruckus?

Possibly the shop in question had been trying to pass off repro stuff as genuine, and got called out on it?

*goes to see if it's on iPlayer...*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the description on the iPlayer of the episode you're talking about, yes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05132yv/antiques-road-trip-series-8-reversions-episode-3
    Antiques Road Trip - Series 8 Reversions: Episode 3

Antiques experts travel the length and breadth of the country in search of rare curiosities and antiquities. Anita Manning and James Braxton head out to Stamford and Boston.

First shown: 7pm 28 Jan 2015
    Available for 29 days Duration 60 mins

However, when I hit play it was an episode featuring Phillip Serrell and Charles Hanson.

Very odd.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the description on the iPlayer of the episode you're talking about, yes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05132yv/antiques-road-trip-series-8-reversions-episode-3

However, when I hit play it was an episode featuring Phillip Serrell and Charles Hanson.

Very odd.

There were two episodes shown, one immediately after the other. Firstly Phillip Serrell competing against Charles Hanson (who made well over a thousand pounds) and then straight on to another episode with Anita and James Braxton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That second one doesn't seem to be on there.

Edit: Yes it is. I didn't think to skip to the second half as I thought it would be only one episode. It's a double. Too tired to watch now though, so maybe tomorrow.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own, but I wish "for legal reasons" they couldn't show the programmes at all. Antiques Roadshow yes.
    Any programme where they buy antiques at "retail" and try "to sell them at "wholesale, i.e, auctions where many bidders are dealers wanting to buy things to sell on) seems mostly a waste of time.

It has to be hard to make a substantial profit in buying to sell at auction.

But I find it very funny when the experts haggle the dealer in the antiques shop to buy an item for less than half the price on the label and yet they still make a loss on it at the auction anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    It has to be hard to make a substantial profit in buying to sell.

But I fond it when the experts haggle the dealer to buy an item in the antiques shop for less than half the price and they still make a loss on it at the auction anyway.

It always make me smile when they go into raptures having "made" a few quid at an auction. By the time you take off the agent's commission, the traveling expenses to the auction and the time taken, they've "made" nothing.
    But it does make for a relatively cheap programme and a lot of people watch it.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always confused me that the factor in certain costs and not other.

Once someone sold an old vinyl record and had to deduct the £4 postage from their profits, yet the gallons of fuel used delivering cheap items all over country is ignored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    It has to be hard to make a substantial profit in buying to sell at auction.

But I find it very funny when the experts haggle the dealer in the antiques shop to buy an item for less than half the price on the label and yet they still make a loss on it at the auction anyway.

It's just a question of economics.
    Many bidders at auctions are looking to buy something they can sell on at a profit.
    But "the world and his wife" are also trying to make a profit before and when it finally goes up for sale.

They can't all win.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I know the mechanics of buying and selling for auction (I am currently waiting for an auction where there is a group of medals which were bought at auction in September 2013 for £500; appeared on a dealer's list in February 2014 priced at £1300, reappeared in another auction in August 2014 with an estimate of £500-600 pounds and sold for £600.. and are for sale at another auction tomorrow with an estimate of £600-800...)

I just wondered if anyone knew what had caused the legal punch up!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I prefer auction shows.

On Antiques Roadshow they can just give any old value off the top of their head without having to prove it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I prefer auction shows.

On Antiques Roadshow they can just give any old value off the top of their head without having to prove it.

I always wonder about these auctions, how many people actually turn up. Won't get a decent price for anything if there's very few punters there.
    I buy and sell a few things, but I always use eBay. The ways you can display stuff on there is very comprehensive, yet so few people take full advantage. I've always made money on stuff I've sold on there.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always wonder about these auctions, how many people actually turn up. Won't get a decent price for anything if there's very few punters there.
    I buy and sell a few things, but I always use eBay. The ways you can display stuff on there is very comprehensive, yet so few people take full advantage. I've always made money on stuff I've sold on there.

Some places seem to be good for buying. Some seem to be good for selling.

Always commission & VAT to take into account.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Some places seem to be good for buying. Some seem to be good for selling.

Always commission & VAT to take into account.

commission now reaching 20% which is a fair chunk..
    best place to sell Anita's in Scotland.. and Nantwich in Cheshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just ran through the clip... all you see is Anita walking through a closed market. no shops around, just empty market stalls..
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy ARS because of the interaction between the contestants. But much of the antique trade seems to be people recycling utter rubbish in the hope of making a profit from a punter. I would put much of it on a bonfire!
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    It's always confused me that the factor in certain costs and not other.

Once someone sold an old vinyl record and had to deduct the £4 postage from their profits, yet the gallons of fuel used delivering cheap items all over country is ignored.

You seem to be under the impression that the show is an educational documentary.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much ado about nothing really, prolly filmed then were told they didn't have permission to do so. Clip > https://vid.me/y0Zf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much ado about nothing really, prolly filmed then were told they didn't have permission to do so. Clip > https://vid.me/y0Zf

which is what i saw..nothing..
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of when I watched an episode of Speaking Our Language on BBC iPlayer and on the episode of Cairdeas (something like that) during the theme, the host said that for legal reasons, one of the characters was being played by a different actor.
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member

Mmmm....

Wouldn't it be great if there was some vast resource of information that was fully indexed in some way that you could easily search it by entering a few pertinent terms.

Errrmmm...

"Antiques Road Trip"
    "Legal Issues"
    "Stamford"

Oh!
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be under the impression that the show is an educational documentary.

Not really Just wondering why some costs are considered and not others
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    It always make me smile when they go into raptures having "made" a few quid at an auction. By the time you take off the agent's commission, the traveling expenses to the auction and the time taken, they've "made" nothing.
    But it does make for a relatively cheap programme and a lot of people watch it.

The aim is to make as much profit as possible as it all goes to Children In Need. Their "rapture" comes from being able to make money for the charity through the choices they made. The pairing up just gives it that element of competition and shows how different things sell at the same auction. It's a good mix for a TV show.

It's choice, chance and charity.
  • Options
    stopgostopgo Posts: 5,961
    Forum Member
    Lass with big boobs enlivened tonight's show.