Did Girls Aloud make a mistake splitting?

swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
Forum Member
They could easily have squeezed in another couple of studio albums over the next couple of years.

Just because their latest greatest hits was a small success doesn't mean a new studio album wouldn't have continued their run of platinum albums. Kimberley's solo album tanked, Nadine & Nicola's albums before that tanked & Cheryl's most recent one couldn't even manage to go gold on the back of a huge number 1.

They are fools. Cheryl isn't nealy as popular on her own as she was three years ago & she knows it. GA as a brand however could have had a few more years in it.

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was all about sales though, they clearly want to focus on other things and maybe just want to be done with GA.

Cheryl is taking a break and has no plans to do anything at the minute according to her.
    Sarah has been working on solo material for a while and wants to release that.
    Nicola is apparently releasing more material later this year.
    Kimberly probably wants to explore other areas now her popularity has risen thanks to Strictly.
    Nadine was the only one who said she didn't want it to end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as much as i love them, i think they ended at the right time imo and i will forever enjoy their back catalogue.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I think they easily could have done at least one more album. IMO, the only reason the album didn't sell as well is that their last greatest hits sold over a million and only two albums have been released since them. As far as I'm aware they still have two albums owing on their deal with Fascination as they signed a three album deal after Out Of Control and only Ten has been released since

Like JLS, they can probably make more money from a reunion in 5-10 years than they would on an album/tour now
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I don't think it was all about sales though, they clearly want to focus on other things and maybe just want to be done with GA.

Cheryl is taking a break and has no plans to do anything at the minute according to her.
    Sarah has been working on solo material for a while and wants to release that.
    Nicola is apparently releasing more material later this year.
    Kimberly probably wants to explore other areas now her popularity has risen thanks to Strictly.
    Nadine was the only one who said she didn't want it to end.

Who cares about more flop solo albums though? ok maybe some GA fanatics but other than Fight for this Love none of it has been any good imo

A Sarah Harding solo album will be a top 100 smash in the making. I doubt any label would touch Nicola Roberts & even Cheryl's solo artist days seem to be all but over.
    Forum Member
    I think they easily could have done at least one more album. IMO, the only reason the album didn't sell as well is that their last greatest hits sold over a million and only two albums have been released since them. As far as I'm aware they still have two albums owing on their deal with Fascination as they signed a three album deal after Out Of Control and only Ten has been released since

Like JLS, they can probably make more money from a reunion in 5-10 years than they would on an album/tour now

Definetly. They could easily have clocked up a seven or eight studio albums back catalogue before quitting it all for families etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could easily have squeezed in another couple of studio albums over the next couple of years.

Just because their latest greatest hits was a small success doesn't mean a new studio album wouldn't have continued their run of platinum albums. Kimberley's solo album tanked, Nadine & Nicola's albums before that tanked & Cheryl's most recent one couldn't even manage to go gold on the back of a huge number 1.

They are fools. Cheryl isn't nealy as popular on her own as she was three years ago & she knows it. GA as a brand however could have had a few more years in it.
    Girls Aloud was a mere franchise, on a par with the Spice Girls....and as much as band members may think of miming karaoke requires a skill, they need not delude themselves.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was certainly more mileage left in GA.
    Tangled Up and Out Of Control were fab, and they seemed to growing with each album release.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Rename them.

Nadine Coyle feat Girls Aloud
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    There was certainly more mileage left in GA.
    Tangled Up and Out Of Control were fab, and they seemed to growing with each album release.

True they are the only two I really listen to nowadays, their first three are quite corny.

Tangled Up > Out of Control > Something New was a great transition in sound & maturity. On the Metro & Every Now & Then would have been great additions to album six.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,551
    Forum Member
    Most of their new tracks on ten suggested to me they still had life in them and I would have loved a new album, but I don't think their hearts were in it anymore so I'm quite glad they've decided to call it a day rather than go through the motions
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame because judging from most of the new songs on Ten it seemed that they could have made an amazing studio album full of songs like On The Metro, it would have been a great way to bow out, I'm sad all they gave us at the end was another greatest hits and 4 new songs, they could have just saved those 4 songs, made 6-8 more and released a whole new final album.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore them, so i would have loved another album... however they would have probably gone in a more R&B/Pop direction (without Xenomania) so in that respect i'm glad they are finished.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares about more flop solo albums though? ok maybe some GA fanatics but other than Fight for this Love none of it has been any good imo

A Sarah Harding solo album will be a top 100 smash in the making. I doubt any label would touch Nicola Roberts & even Cheryl's solo artist days seem to be all but over.

You are missing the point, I am not saying they are going to be more successful alone than together, I am saying their hearts aren't with GA anymore and they want to explore new areas, I don't think the split had anything to do with not believing they would be a success if they continued, it was just they were done with that chapter of their life.

As for Cheryl she still managed a successful arena tour a few months before GA reuinion, yeah it may not have sold out but it did well and their is still interest in her solo work.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think they could have done another album. An album similar to Out Of Control with some Xenomania-produced songs would have been good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think a fair few people, myself included, would care about another Nicola Roberts solo release. I'm far from a Girls Aloud fanatic but I thought her debut was a very solid pop album, and she got plenty of critical acclaim for it (far more than Cheryl Cole has had for her solo work). So even if she's not setting the charts on fire, I reckon she could do OK as a less chart-focused, more 'credible' pop artist if she wanted to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

speak for yourself, take Nicola`s album that might have under performed but it`s still one of my fave pop albums now, & is the one solo aloud i`m looking forward to hearing more solo material from.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they made a mistake with their three year hiatus when they had just hit their peak
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    They'll get back together in a few years to enjoy the cash-cow reunion tour and album (again). Especially once they realise their solo careers are not going to give them the same payday they're used to.
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a stunt . Give it 4 years and they will be back together
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I think they shouldn't have split in 2009 tbh. They would've continued getting lots of big hits like The Promise if they stayed together.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think they shouldn't have split in 2009 tbh. They would've continued getting lots of big hits like The Promise if they stayed together.

I agree 100%.. They were at their peak in terms of sales and quality IMO and had they kept moving with Xenomania, they could have kept going and going.

In the three years they were away, we have had Little Mix, Stooshe and Wonderland debut, The Saturdays have their lowest selling album and the Sugababes kind of shoot their popularity to pieces, Girls Aloud would have been the biggest UK girl group still had they continued and I think gotten even bigger than Out Of Control