Options

Milk

2»

Comments

• Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I liked the grainy original footage, I wonder what Anita (or her family) think of her image being used so much in the film... (or maybe it was an actress). :confused:

The bits with Anita Bryant were all original footage. I think that in real life she has become much more liberal and has renounced her former bigoted views.

There was a famous incident (although it was not shown in the film and was not directly related to the Harvey Milk story) when Anita Bryant was appearing live on television when a groups of gay-rights protestors managed to invade the studio and splat a custard pie into her face. After the initial shock, her immediate reaction was to start praying for the people who had attacked her, and asked God that they should be delivered from their deviant lifestyle. :D:):rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    The bits with Anita Bryant were all original footage. I think that in real life she has become much more liberal and has renounced her former bigoted views.

There was a famous incident (although it was not shown in the film and was not directly related to the Harvey Milk story) when Anita Bryant was appearing live on television when a groups of gay-rights protestors managed to invade the studio and splat a custard pie into her face. After the initial shock, her immediate reaction was to start praying for the people who had attacked her, and asked God that they should be delivered from their deviant lifestyle. :D:):rolleyes:

Apparently Anita Bryant got a taste of her own medicine when shunned by her church when her marriage failed, after which she adopted a more 'live and let live' attitude. Her life is an equally fascinating story and would make a great companion film.

As for the film, I enjoyed it. Loved the period detail of 70's SF and of course Penn's performance was incredible. My 2nd favourite BP nominee behind Slumdog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »

No, I don't think she has, and she certainly hasn't said sorry for the times when her hate caused the taunting, beating up, murder and suicides of our gay brothers and sisters. Every time she 'preached', more hate and misery happened.

She needs to take responsibility for what she did. She certainly hasn't done that. But, she's not dead yet, so I guess there's time for her to repent.

However, for us, we don't actually need her to. She's done her worst.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought it was pretty dull.

Good acting I'd say but other than that.. Meh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I thought it was good. Not great, just good. Penn was superb and didn't resort to a stereotypical portrayal of a gay man.

But overall something was missing. I felt no emotional connection with the characters and ultimately who was Harvey Milk?? In the UK very people would have known who he was (I did because I've been on a tour of the Castro district) but in America I'm sure he was an icon of gay activism. We don't really have that over here.

Typical American film vying for Oscar glory.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oi_cheeky! wrote: »
    I thought it was good. Not great, just good. Penn was superb and didn't resort to a stereotypical portrayal of a gay man.

But overall something was missing. I felt no emotional connection with the characters and ultimately who was Harvey Milk?? In the UK very people would have known who he was (I did because I've been on a tour of the Castro district) but in America I'm sure he was an icon of gay activism. We don't really have that over here.
    Interesting. I'm sure many people in the UK are aware of Harvey Milk. I was in my twenties when he was murdered and it was definitely in the news here, but maybe it's an event in that twilight area between current affairs and history.

As far as the Oscars are concerned, I think Penn's acting is worth the award. Mickey Rourke is fantastic in The Wrestler but is it great acting or is it that he empathises with the character so much he becomes him?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm sure many people in the UK are aware of Harvey Milk. I was in my twenties when he was murdered and it was definitely in the news here, but maybe it's an event in that twilight area between current affairs and history.

As far as the Oscars are concerned, I think Penn's acting is worth the award. Mickey Rourke is fantastic in The Wrestler but is it great acting or is it that he empathises with the character so much he becomes him?

I had a similar conversation with friends after we saw the film. If you didn't remember the events of his death then how do you find out about him? He wouldn't necessarily be mentioned in schools and in Britain I feel he doesn't have the same iconic status.

I guess that is way LGBT History Month is so important. How else would you know about important events like this?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i thought it was a good film, Sean Penn was great, am not useally fan of his films but he really did a good job in this one