Options

Sound Bar + Tv

2»

Comments

• Options
    cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even a pair of PC speakers plugged in the headphone socket greatly improves the sound from modern TV's, there simply isn't room for speakers inside the sets.

If you have a headphone sockets it's well worth trying, on the grounds that you may well have a pair of PC speakers 'knocking around', so it's zero cost.

I had some knocking around & connected them to a 32" Sony in the kids playroom & the sound is so much better now :)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    cockney wrote: »
    I had some knocking around & connected them to a 32" Sony in the kids playroom & the sound is so much better now :)

I know, incredible isn't it :D

I've hard wired bookshelf speakers to sets for a number of customers, and they sound absolutely amazing, the amps in the TV's aren't bad at all, it's just the puny speakers.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, a sound bar is just two speakers under the TV, and perhaps a sub.

my yamaha soundbar has 21 speakers that are all phased differently, along with a 14" sub in a separate enclosure that can make the room shake.

setting up entails plugging a microphone into the unit and leaving the room while a number of tones and white noise is played and analysed to set all the speaker phases to provide a surround sound effect.

It works brilliantly, and is far superior in sound to the sony 5.1 system it replaced.
  • Options
    kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    my yamaha soundbar has 21 speakers that are all phased differently, along with a 14" sub in a separate enclosure that can make the room shake.

setting up entails plugging a microphone into the unit and leaving the room while a number of tones and white noise is played and analysed to set all the speaker phases to provide a surround sound effect.

It works brilliantly, and is far superior in sound to the sony 5.1 system it replaced.

I will second that! I have a Yamaha YSP 2200, which works on the same basis as you described and sounds miles better than the 5.1 set up it replaced.

Now, I'm clearly not saying that this will be the case compared to better 5.1 set ups, but the YSP2200 creates surround sound amazingly well using this method. To write off all soundbars as an other poster has said above is woefully ignorant and shortsighted as for some people they are the only option and a good one at that depending on which soundbar you opt for.