Mass Effect 4

mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
Forum Member
Anyone else buzzing for this?

Apparently there are strong rumours that a trailer could be released soon, and that the game is playable, although i reckon we won't hear anything before E3 :( and maybe a launch date of Q1/Q2 2015.

Really hope its after the events of ME3!

Comments

• JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully we'll see something at E3 this year, but like you said, I can't see ME4 coming out this year, it will be late next year imo.

I loved all 3 Mass Effect games, can not wait to play some new material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want it if it has nothing or almost nothing to do with the first three

It should be set in a new universe with new characters or at the least at a time so far in the future that anything you did in the first three games could be forgotten or it could become legend and have been his told throughout the years so nobody knows what is true anymore

Maybe its set 50,000 years later and it seems that the reapers could once again be returning, are they? is it a new threat? what of the legends of the people who stopped them before?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    See, i would kinda like to see some of Shepard's ex team mates at some point in ME4.

And graphics should be insane!

Cannot wait for this, and its not even been announced lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    See, i would kinda like to see some of Shepard's ex team mates at some point in ME4.

That would require to much work though, first off which Companies would feature, some of mine may have died in ME2, some i may never of recruited, yet they'd have to animate them, then they'd have to bring in three games where of history, could saves even be continued between generation

Who do you follow and why and more important how can the stakes be raised directly after the end of the galaxy
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I want it if it has nothing or almost nothing to do with the first three

It should be set in a new universe with new characters or at the least at a time so far in the future that anything you did in the first three games could be forgotten or it could become legend and have been his told throughout the years so nobody knows what is true anymore

Maybe its set 50,000 years later and it seems that the reapers could once again be returning, are they? is it a new threat? what of the legends of the people who stopped them before?

That's the story of the first trilogy :p

Why not go back to the first contact war or something ? Or the Rachni war, although think that was before humans even new of the mass relays.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The original trilogy was superb. Personally, I didn't care for the way that they ended it, but that doesn't detract from the overall brilliance of the trilogy and I can't wait to see where they take the series next.

As for direction - prequel, side-quel or sequel, well they all have their problems. You can probably rule out a prequel though - that idea has proven consistently unpopular on BSN and I can't see BW NOT taking notice of that. Plus the stories that you could hang such a prequel around - the Prothean War, or the Rachni Wars, have no Human presence, and that's almost certainly a no-go for BW based on previous comments. The only other idea would be the First Contact war, but that's more of a minor skirmish than a war, it just wouldn't have the depth necessary to support a major narrative.

Sequel - gives you huge problems as there's no real way of doing that without knocking out at least some of the choices from the end of the trilogy.

Personally, I think they should canonize the 'Destroy' ending - it's what the overwhelming majority of players picked anyway, and the one that lends itself easiest to continuing a narrative afterwards.

Failing all that, I'd agree with Thomas - just draw a line under the original trilogy and ignore it completely.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Personally, I think they should canonize the 'Destroy' ending - it's what the overwhelming majority of players picked anyway, and the one that lends itself easiest to continuing a narrative afterwards.

Better that than the rainbows & unicorns space magic ending...
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Better that than the rainbows & unicorns space magic ending...

You mean the one that turns Shepard into a galactic space rapist?
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I loved all mass effects, but they did get progressively worse as they went along. Plus the entire ending of the last one was just awful.

Add to that the major disappointment of DA2, Bioware need to regain my trust a bit before i get hyped up again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original trilogy was superb. Personally, I didn't care for the way that they ended it, but that doesn't detract from the overall brilliance of the trilogy and I can't wait to see where they take the series next.

As for direction - prequel, side-quel or sequel, well they all have their problems. You can probably rule out a prequel though - that idea has proven consistently unpopular on BSN and I can't see BW NOT taking notice of that. Plus the stories that you could hang such a prequel around - the Prothean War, or the Rachni Wars, have no Human presence, and that's almost certainly a no-go for BW based on previous comments. The only other idea would be the First Contact war, but that's more of a minor skirmish than a war, it just wouldn't have the depth necessary to support a major narrative.

Sequel - gives you huge problems as there's no real way of doing that without knocking out at least some of the choices from the end of the trilogy.

Failing all that, I'd agree with Thomas - just draw a line under the original trilogy and ignore it completely.

I agree with on Prequels, they can work sometimes but in case of Mass Effect me know that every single attempt to stop the reapers before the one we played failed, so it stands to reason if we play in a prequel universe than its entirely pointless

We would already no that no matter how much or how little we did, it would make no difference because its Shepard and his companies that find everything they need to win the war and its the protheans that help them to do it

Even a side-quel would be pointless, it would be like Shepard is saving all life that we know off but i'm over here doing this stuff that isn't really important to the war and if i didn't do it the outcome would be the same anyway
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I loved all mass effects, but they did get progressively worse as they went along. Plus the entire ending of the last one was just awful.

Add to that the major disappointment of DA2, Bioware need to regain my trust a bit before i get hyped up again.

Well hopefully DAI will help restore a little faith.

Fingers crossed! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A side game could be interesting, it could take place between the years (I think it was two?) that Shepard was being rebuilt by Cerberus. That could leave some options for returning characters, too. Maybe a game where you're the Illusive Man?
  • SSL2010SSL2010 Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new slate for me. Shepherds story and the team shouldn't be anymore then legend in mass effect 4.

The odd flashback or mention would be a nice touch to the masses who enjoyed the trilogy but no more then that.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked the Mass Effect games (awful ending not withstanding), but the idea of more stories in the same universe really doesn't appeal to me all that much. Something brand new would be far better.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive ME fan here. Loved all 3, despite being slightly disappointed with the original endings for Mass Effect 3. I'm much more happier with what they changed after they heard how many fans were a bit let down by them.

I'm extremely excited for ME4. Having a brand new character is the right idea IMO, even though I would love to play more Shepard. I'll miss his companions the most, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they put in ME4.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This could work given how long some of the species can live for, you could have it set hundreds of years after the trilogy and Liara and Wrex could feature.

Not sure where you could go with a 4th game though, the Reapers were pretty much the biggest threat to the galaxy for billions of years as evidenced by things like The Leviathan of Dis and other things that Harbinger and Soverign said. Maybe the Repears actually served a higher power, or maybe there is something just as bad/worse that has happened in the past that Bioware could trot out as the next antagonist.

I actually wouldn't mind a prequel, set it back before humanity discovered the mass relays and go more for the 'Space Cop' kind of thing that Mass Effect 1 & 2 did really well.

After all is said and done though, I will be there Day 1, I just cannot resist Mass Effect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never understood the hate for the ending this game got and I doubt I'll ever will, I mean the hate was massively over the top.

It's just an ending to me, the overall experience and journey was great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Never understood the hate for the ending this game got and I doubt I'll ever will, I mean the hate was massively over the top.

It's just an ending to me, the overall experience and journey was great.

Imagine every decision you have made over the past 5 years no matter whether they where good or bad led to a room where an AI said well all that stuff meant **** all whats your favorite colour red, green or blue

That is why the ending was bad not the content of the endings, though that was poor as well, but the games themselves where marketed as if your chooses would give you a unique ending when it didn't

People where lied to people got mad, the end
    Forum Member
    Casey Hudson specifically said that we wouldn't get an ABC ending. Then we got there and it was Red/Green/Blue - which may as well have been ABC.

That's just the tip of the iceberg though - from having your character hijacked in the closing moments of the story and having it buy into everything that Starjar was telling it, to the sheer ludicrousness of two of the choices - yes, I've spent the entire game trying to get into a position where I can destroy the Reapers, and yes, I've been fighting tooth and nail to stop TIM gaining control of them as well, but hey, let's go ultra hypocritical for a novel twist and seize control ourselves! Makes perfect sense, after all I am Space Jesus and am obviously impervious to corruption. I mean, it's not like Shepard was unbalanced at the end or anything, not like the character had slowly been cracking up over the course of the game.....cant think of anyone better to have supreme control of the mighty fleet of death machines.....And then there's Synthesis - give me a fooking break. Shepard saves the galaxy by genetically raping the DNA of every other sentient form of life in it? Genius, and BW seriously wondered why this is the least popular choice. It's not exactly rocket science as to why almost everyone went with Destroy. So even when BW did give us an ABC ending, it's really only an A ending, which again, highlights the twisted irony of this supposedly being a game about choice.

I love the series as a whole, but BW seriously fooked the pooch with the ending.

Another reason why they're best totally ignoring it in a new game.

IMO ;)
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that people are "buzzing" over the 4th re-tread of a title is the reason we get what we deserve - largely the safe option i.e. the same game in a slightly different wrapper time and again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Imagine every decision you have made over the past 5 years no matter whether they where good or bad led to a room where an AI said well all that stuff meant **** all whats your favorite colour red, green or blue

That is why the ending was bad not the content of the endings, though that was poor as well, but the games themselves where marketed as if your chooses would give you a unique ending when it didn't

People where lied to people got mad, the end
    All the endings I saw were good in my opinion, I never thought the choices I made would effect the ending though and not really a big problem.didn't bother me.

Fine if people didn't like it, but when I say some people went over the top crazy is when they sent death threats, signed a petition got overly mad about it is kind of pathetic and dumb.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I hated the ending on ME3, and then the DLC made me even more confused!

And still didn't clear up my main question. How the hell did the squad mates i took into the final battle with me, get back on the normandy, and crash landed on a unknown planet?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSL2010 wrote: »
    A new slate for me. Shepherds story and the team shouldn't be anymore then legend in mass effect 4.

The odd flashback or mention would be a nice touch to the masses who enjoyed the trilogy but no more then that.

Yeah that's what I think too. There's no harm in remembering what happened previously, but there's no need to make it central to the plot.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casey Hudson specifically said that we wouldn't get an ABC ending. Then we got there and it was Red/Green/Blue - which may as well have been ABC.

That's just the tip of the iceberg though - from having your character hijacked in the closing moments of the story and having it buy into everything that Starjar was telling it, to the sheer ludicrousness of two of the choices - yes, I've spent the entire game trying to get into a position where I can destroy the Reapers, and yes, I've been fighting tooth and nail to stop TIM gaining control of them as well, but hey, let's go ultra hypocritical for a novel twist and seize control ourselves! Makes perfect sense, after all I am Space Jesus and am obviously impervious to corruption. I mean, it's not like Shepard was unbalanced at the end or anything, not like the character had slowly been cracking up over the course of the game.....cant think of anyone better to have supreme control of the mighty fleet of death machines.....And then there's Synthesis - give me a fooking break. Shepard saves the galaxy by genetically raping the DNA of every other sentient form of life in it? Genius, and BW seriously wondered why this is the least popular choice. It's not exactly rocket science as to why almost everyone went with Destroy. So even when BW did give us an ABC ending, it's really only an A ending, which again, highlights the twisted irony of this supposedly being a game about choice.

I love the series as a whole, but BW seriously fooked the pooch with the ending.

Another reason why they're best totally ignoring it in a new game.

IMO ;)

Agreed.

Did BW release the stats then on the ending choices? Did they really seem confused as to Destroy being the most popular?
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the ending on ME3, and then the DLC made me even more confused!

And still didn't clear up my main question. How the hell did the squad mates i took into the final battle with me, get back on the normandy, and crash landed on a unknown planet?

It's better in the extended cut. The two companions you take with you in the final battle are picked up by the Normandy before you enter the final area where you meet the Illusive Man. After the part with the explosion.

The Normandy then warped off before the explosion at the end when you make your final choice. They then lose power in the ship because of the shockwave from the explosion, making them crash on the nearest planet.