Capital Or Heart National Breakfast - Drivetime Show?

occyoccy Posts: 64,630
Forum Member
✭✭
Which station will go for the national breakfast and drivetime shows first?

I know I havn't mentioned Magic London, but could the station follow?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Which station will go for the national breakfast and drivetime shows first?

I know I havn't mentioned Magic London, but could the station follow?

Obviously, both Heart and Capital are now perfectly placed to do it as soon as the law allows.

Drivetime? 18 months, I hear.
  • jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I think youll find Heart will happen first, most think a year to 18 months(max), it wont be staggered either both breakfast & drive will go at the same time.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going with 18-24 months. Certainly it'll be there by 2014.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,670
    Forum Member
    I think youll find Heart will happen first, most think a year to 18 months(max), it wont be staggered either both breakfast & drive will go at the same time.

Tend to agree there, Heart first, maybe from January 2013 and then Capital to follow later in the year of January 2014.

Don't think they will do both stations simultaneously, think it will be staggered as they did with networking both brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would get the gigs though? Almost definitely Jamie & Harriet for Heart, but I still wouldn't rule out Chris Moyles on Capital - but only once it's national.

Drive I'm not sure - but I'd happily put a wager on Scott Mills for Heart drive.

In any case I think the stations will lose drive first, wait 18 months, then lose breakfast. They'll trickle out the local content rather than just wipe it out.
    Forum Member
    In any case I think the stations will lose drive first, wait 18 months, then lose breakfast. They'll trickle out the local content rather than just wipe it out.[/QUOTE]

Nice idea, but thres no point finacially doing that, the plan is to sell the brand nationally . The big draw is breakfast and until the agencies see one breakfast show across the network theyll be less inclined to jump in. Global plan to run Capital and Heart in the same way as Classic Fm, with no local sales staff, Pcs or MDs. The staff savings would be millions. Local content doesn't figure with the final outcome for these brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it'll go quite that far, the local advertising will still bring in significant income.
    Forum Member
    Don't think it'll go quite that far, the local advertising will still bring in significant income.

The staff savings would be a million plus per year.. you do the math

Classic FM is by far the most profitable Global station, because it has national advertisers.

Anyway, neither of us know what will happen for sure, I hope you're right & Im wrong to be honest
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would get the gigs though? Almost definitely Jamie & Harriet for Heart, but I still wouldn't rule out Chris Moyles on Capital - but only once it's national.

Drive I'm not sure - but I'd happily put a wager on Scott Mills for Heart drive.

In any case I think the stations will lose drive first, wait 18 months, then lose breakfast. They'll trickle out the local content rather than just wipe it out.

But would Global allow talents like Moyles and Mills to have fun, interactive shows or stifle them to be bland Global Presenters?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    But would Global allow talents like Moyles and Mills to have fun, interactive shows or stifle them to be bland Global Presenters?

if it was breakfast or drive... No. Most global staions are perosnality driven at this time with only 12ish records an hour.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither station is or is going to be national.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember five years ago being told that no station would be allowed to network during the day, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you not set heart to be a bit like BBC 1 TV or Daybreak.

You have a national breakfast show and then every 20mins have a opt out to the local station which is basically a producer / voiceover with News, Traffic & weather info. (traffic being the main reason)

personally, i have just come back home to the south coast and i have discovered that Capital South Coast is late going to the break and therefore late back from the break. Only talking a fraction, but enough to crash into the join. (cant hear the opening word on the news) or the mix is just awful into the song.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do listeners know who Jamie T and Johnny V are from outside London? Do listeners know who Chris M and Scott M are from outside London? Although they have all appeared on TV. This is how Smooth worked. Lynn Parsons covered until Simon Bates, as listeners know her from Radio 1 & 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    solij09 wrote: »
    if it was breakfast or drive... No. Most global staions are perosnality driven at this time with only 12ish records an hour.

Still 10 or 11 more than Moyles likes to play.
    Forum Member
    Do listeners know who Jamie T and Johnny V are from outside London? Do listeners know who Chris M and Scott M are from outside London? Although they have all appeared on TV. This is how Smooth worked. Lynn Parsons covered until Simon Bates, as listeners know her from Radio 1 & 2.

Jamie & Johnny were both quite well known TV presenters before venturing into radio so mu guesses is that they are countrywide recognised but what they don't have is national radio heritage like Smooth have gone for with Simon Bates.

The trouble you have is that Capital is a youth station and most of the youth presenters aren't known on a national basis unless they are already on Radio 1.

Heaven help us in a couple of years down the line that we have Capital 95-106FM breakfast with Fearne Cotton:eek:
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you honestly saying that Lynn Parsons is more well known than Johnny Vaughan or Jamie Theakston?
  • Crunch & RollCrunch & Roll Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, both Heart and Capital are now perfectly placed to do it as soon as the law allows.

Drivetime? 18 months, I hear.

I think they'll choose to keep local drivetime and opt to network breakfast first. Local drive jocks are cheaper than local breakfast shows. Plus Parky has made no secret of the fact he wants to network London breakfast.
  • mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice idea, but thres no point finacially doing that, the plan is to sell the brand nationally . The big draw is breakfast and until the agencies see one breakfast show across the network theyll be less inclined to jump in. Global plan to run Capital and Heart in the same way as Classic Fm, with no local sales staff, Pcs or MDs. The staff savings would be millions. Local content doesn't figure with the final outcome for these brands.
    Errr quite frankly CRAP once again lets not justify one network one show on Media Buying agencies demands - ~its not there, its not asked for and its a lame justification by Global for actions ytaken - Its not us its the agencies and its BS.
    Forum Member
    mbessex wrote: »
    Errr quite frankly CRAP once again lets not justify one network one show on Media Buying agencies demands - ~its not there, its not asked for and its a lame justification by Global for actions ytaken - Its not us its the agencies and its BS.

Global arent saying that mate, of course they want to save a shit load of money by networking, I was assuming that was a given. What I was saying is thats its much easier to sell radio to big advertisers nationally when the content is the same nationally, thats a given too surely ??

Classic FM as I said, is the model.
    Forum Member
    I think they'll choose to keep local drivetime and opt to network breakfast first. Local drive jocks are cheaper than local breakfast shows. Plus Parky has made no secret of the fact he wants to network London breakfast.

What network the current London Breakfast Show with Johnny & Lisa or just a show networked from London presented by whoever .... ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's likely breakfast will go before drive too. I'm still saying Chris Moyles will get it, and yes - adaptations will have to be made on both sides.

Love him or hate him, Moyles brings in results. He could go to any station and put on listeners right now.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Park made no secret that he wants Heart's London breakfast networked, however in an interview in the Independent last week, that isn't the strategy he wants for Capital.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Park made no secret that he wants Heart's London breakfast networked, however in an interview in the Independent last week, that isn't the strategy he wants for Capital.

My reading of the new Ofcom rules is that Theakston could be broadcast on Heart WM and Vaughan & Snowdon could be broadcast on Capital Yorks & Capital NE as things currently stand, but Global have decided not to do this.

As I read it they and the London stations are all qualifying regionals with Heart & Capital both having 70% UK DAB coverage (or close to it).
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, but he's also said that up to 2 years ago he didn't think Capital could be rolled out nationally. Now he thinks it's a great idea. When the money men start putting pressure on to streamline the network, and the Ofcom rules change of course, it'll happen. Heart will go first. But by that point will any of the listeners care? The 'local' Heart breakfast shows seem fairly generic already.