Options

Next Live Soap Episode?

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is Eastenders, Hollyoaks or Coronation Street going to do a live episode for their 30th, 20th and 55th birthdays? :)

Comments

• Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Did HO say they will if they won Best Soap?
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Corrie were doing a live Phelan/Anna reunion episode!
  • Options
    MrAndrewMrAndrew Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Hopefully not.

I've never understood the fuss about live episodes. A live episode doesn't mean better stories, or better stunts/ production values.... It only means 'there is a chance that the episode could go horribly wrong and the show will be ridiculed for weeks'. The actual content of the episode gets ZERO benefits from being live.

I get that it is 'event television' (aka, a ratings fad) and it is all a bit exciting, but I would be MUCH more impressed if any of the soaps could pull off a story with as many layers/ story strands as the Kat/ Zoe reveal, now that would be something...
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation Street's 55th anniversary is not really a 'big one' like Eastenders and Hollyoaks celebrating their 30th and 20th anniversaries respectively.

The next live episode will more likely be for Eastenders 30th or Hollyoaks 20th (depends which comes first)
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really need another one? is that really the only way a soap can celebrate a milestone? yawn
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Well EastEnders turns 30, Hollyoaks 20 (!) and Coronation Street 55 next year so we might get a bumper crop of 3.
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    Did HO say they will if they won Best Soap?

They said they would do a live challenge with the cast which was on the hollyoaks website and youtube on Tuesday it was quite good.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks doing one won't pay in the same way EastEnders,Emmerdale and Corrie will.

I doubt it will pull in massive figures. It would just be a waste of Money.

I can't see EastEnders doing one tbh. DTC made a comment about 'Been there and done that' it seems he doesn't want a LIVE reveal. Unless we just get a LIVE episode for a wedding or something.

Corrie might well be the next if they decide too.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    They said they would do a live challenge with the cast which was on the hollyoaks website and youtube on Tuesday it was quite good.

My mistake, the article I was thinking about does say live event.
    Surprised they havent done one anyway
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders aren't doing one for the 30th.

DTC commented on it and said it's been done, they should try and find something new to do.

Most people are thinking an entire flashback episode for the anniversary, which would be more fitting for the story.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Eastenders aren't doing one for the 30th.

DTC commented on it and said it's been done, they should try and find something new to do.

Most people are thinking an entire flashback episode for the anniversary, which would be more fitting for the story.
    All he said is it wont be a live reveal of the Lucy's killer he didn't rule out a live episode in general ( the BBC may force one on him if they think it would boost ratings)
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    All he said is it wont be a live reveal of the Lucy's killer he didn't rule out a live episode in general ( the BBC may force one on him if they think it would boost ratings)

He said been there, done that referring to a live episode to celebrate the anniversary and said he'd like to do something different.

There's still a chance they'll do one but DTC's answer to that question was that he'd rather do something else.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forwards to Pobol Y Cwm live. Should get dozens of viewers.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks doing one won't pay in the same way EastEnders,Emmerdale and Corrie will.

I doubt it will pull in massive figures. It would just be a waste of Money.

I can't see EastEnders doing one tbh. DTC made a comment about 'Been there and done that' it seems he doesn't want a LIVE reveal. Unless we just get a LIVE episode for a wedding or something.

Corrie might well be the next if they decide too.

He didn't rule out a live episode though did he, he just said he didn't want a live reveal so maybe the aftermath will be Live. I really want Hollyoaks to do one because even though it doesn't get high ratings then Corrie, Emmerdale or Eastenders a live episode would get intrest, possibly ratings could go as high as 3m?

I know you watch Doctors do you think Doctors, Causulty or Holby could do a Live episode in the future. :)
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a live Hollyoaks. It would be a bit of a pain for them to schedule with the E4 'preview' always being a day early.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I'd like to see a live Hollyoaks. It would be a bit of a pain for them to schedule with the E4 'preview' always being a day early.

They could do it twice? :D
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Tina hopefully rises from the dead.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    He didn't rule out a live episode though did he, he just said he didn't want a live reveal so maybe the aftermath will be Live. I really want Hollyoaks to do one because even though it doesn't get high ratings then Corrie, Emmerdale or Eastenders a live episode would get intrest, possibly ratings could go as high as 3m?

I know you watch Doctors do you think Doctors, Causulty or Holby could do a Live episode in the future. :)
    Doctors again is daytime so it will be pointless. I think it's highest rating this year is around 2.2million.

Holby and Casualty could go LIVE. EastEnders got 16.4m,Corrie 2010 LIVE ep got 14m+and Emmerdale got around 9 m i think. Hollyoaks,Doctors wouldn't get close in their 1:45/6:30 time slots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughing at some of the memebers of Hollyoaks trying to do a live episode. Mostly the Roscoes.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find live eps to be exciting, it's nice to sit through one & look at what mistakes they make but they're not thrilling entertainment. Once they're done once then there's no point of doing another one.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I heard Corrie were doing a live Phelan/Anna reunion episode!

That will have to be an hour long then
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC said they won't do one for the 30th
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live eps have been done. Don't see the point of another.