BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brush wrote: »
    Jesus now she's sliding and rolling down the pink steps/platform in a ridiculous attempt at dance/performance art aka not knowing how to get down and still trying to maintain her pretentious zany-ness.

If her music wasn't so good I'd have turned over ages ago.

:D She did the same on Jools Holland rolling down the steps.

These try-hard affectations usually annoy me but I don't mind it too much from her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    An unmiked drum kit wouldn't go very far in a venue the size of Glastonbury, would it?

Yeh, good point :confused:
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tried to watch and listen to her with an open mind, but just as before, the reason for all this adulation is completely lost on me. It's just a naff old bird with too many facelifts and no dress sense singing bland, easy listening for people of a pensionable age. Or is it a gay thing, in the way that the stereotype dictates that they all like Judy Garland?
  • Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Well ellie goulding loves showing a bit of flesh doesn't she
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well ellie goulding loves showing a bit of flesh doesn't she

Shame about that face and her bland music tho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    :D She did the same on Jools Holland rolling down the steps.

These try-hard affectations usually annoy me but I don't mind it too much from her.

I didn't see her on Jools but a friend of mine had seen her live but neglected to mention all the wackiness. She was intently looking at the crowd all the way through to check their reactions and the bits where she jumped into the crowd at the end seem even less improvised and in the moment and more contrived and part of the act.

I think her music doesn't need the theatrics. Anyway, James Blake up next which should be more intimate and genuine. Then I might watch some Disclosure seeing as Massive Attack don't want the Beeb to film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see her on Jools but a friend of mine had seen her live but neglected to mention all the wackiness. She was intently looking at the crowd all the way through to check their reactions and the bits where she jumped into the crowd at the end seem even less improvised and in the moment and more contrived and part of the act.

I think her music doesn't need the theatrics. Anyway, James Blake up next which should be more intimate and genuine. Then I might watch some Disclosure seeing as Massive Attack don't want the Beeb to film.

I do agree :) The robot woman theatrics and crowd loopyness do veer more towards comedy than anything. I think security thought she was having a fit.

Cool, am gonna give James Blake a whirl an all.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the 'older" brigade have realy owned this Glasto and showed just how poor a lot of todays acts are. The highlights for me have been Dolly, Robert Plant, Bryan Ferry, Blondie, Chvrches ad Rodrigo y Gabriela.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There appears to be a hooker committing cultural appropriation who has wandered onto the stage and started singing like a dying cat. Time to change the channel.

Where's St. Vincent?
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Well the 'older" brigade have realy owned this Glasto and showed just how poor a lot of todays acts are. The highlights for me have been Dolly, Robert Plant, Bryan Ferry, Blondie, Chvrches ad Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Really? Blimey! There are lots of great acts today, you just have to be prepared to look instead of turning to the comfortable sound of nostalgia.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Ed Sheeran was bloody amazing.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree :) The robot woman theatrics and crowd loopyness do veer more towards comedy than anything. I think security thought she was having a fit.
    'St Vincent' is one of the more talented female guitarists in the business. It's a pity in one respect that she's chosen to go down the whackiness route as it detracts from what she's capable of . On the other other hand her antics keeps some people amused.
    Forum Member
    Just watching James Blake... Interesting use of some old satellite dishes at the back of the stage, repurpose them as lights!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    'St Vincent' is one of the more talented female guitarists in the business. It's a pity in one respect that she's chosen to go down the whackiness route as it detracts from what she's capable of . On the other other hand her antics keeps some people amused.

Yeh, great guitarist. Hmm, I'm undecided about the crazy lady antics..they do amuse me.

Just watching James Blake... Interesting use of some old satellite dishes at the back of the stage, repurpose them as lights!

Good spot!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Glasto girl has made it to the stage.
    Ooh maybe it's Ellie Goulding?
    Forum Member
    JB and his band are great! Really enjoying this, a good minimal setup and with proper instruments. It would be so easy for him to do it all on a laptop and twiddle some knobs pretending to actually be doing something.

I love the blend of electronic and what is essentially easy-listening piano (albeit with modern sounds rather than a Steinway).
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive Attacked blocked all broadcasting of their set. Pissed off, I am. Spent all bloody weekend looking forward to that set. I know I'm just a freeloader watching on TV at home but I wish I'd known a bit earlier. Got all set in front of the TV ready and then noticed the sorry message on the stream.
  • digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disclosure on now!

Should be great! :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I didn't know that Chvrches were classed as old farts. The singer looked recently out of school to me.
    I was surprised at how good Blondie were but Robert Plant was absolutely dreadful, embarrassing even. I've never heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela so can't comment on him/her/them. I suppose the Manics count as old codgers now and I'm afraid they sounded it.

I don't own any Mogwai albums but I'll be putting that right very soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB and his band are great! Really enjoying this, a good minimal setup and with proper instruments. It would be so easy for him to do it all on a laptop and twiddle some knobs pretending to actually be doing something.

I love the blend of electronic and what is essentially easy-listening piano (albeit with modern sounds rather than a Steinway).

Yeh, excellent description that. All seems very 'genuine', the crowd are lapping him up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive Attacked blocked all broadcasting of their set. Pissed off, I am. Spent all bloody weekend looking forward to that set. I know I'm just a freeloader watching on TV at home but I wish I'd known a bit earlier. Got all set in front of the TV ready and then noticed the sorry message on the stream.

Yeh, was looking forward to it an all >:( The news only came a couple of hours ago.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I don't own any Mogwai albums but I'll be putting that right very soon.

Yes Mogwai are fantastic, their early stuff is a little heavier but overall you can't go wrong with any album really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disclosure are so young :o excellent acid house beats tho
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hes a rich boy too

Jake Bugg was brought up on the Clifton Council estate in Nottingham. His parents were separated, his dad was a nurse and his mum a sales assistant. Where do you get the idea that he's a rich boy?
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Button for me tonight:

Phospherescent - a good set but a sadly pitiful crowd for them.

St Vincent - enjoyed this massively.

Manic Street Preachers - love them as a band - Holy Bible my number one all time album - but they have seemed to have lost their self-righteous anger which made them so enthralling. They seem to be more professional now and that was not the point of them.

Massive Attack - massive cocks. Was looking forward to seeing them. Maybe appearing at Glastonbury should be a certain portion of the set should be mandatory to be filmed. Maybe they should learn a bit of humility from Metallica.