UFC Discussion Thread

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching on BT Sports see the numbers in the top right appear, looked like a Sky Viewing Card number so I checked my Sky+ box number and it wasn't mine. I'm recording it as well, just played it back and the numbers aren't there - must be some anti-piracy measure to catch streamers, perhaps.

Very Odd.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching via youview and my box has had another failed recoding, seems to be an on going problem. Just as well I checked when I did. Looks like I tuned in at the right time.

I will go for tyron and then ali for winners tonight:)
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Chael has also failed a random drug test.

Think they should probably just stop trying to book the TRT guys in Vegas.

Chael has decided to retire from UFC though I suspect he'll carry on as a broadcaster for them.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/chael-sonnen-retires-mma-fallout-005403653--mma.html
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancelled the heavyweight fight, was looking forward to that. Very last moment. :(
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at them putting rousey on the spot for August 2nd. She should have just said '**** off I'm a heel' ;)
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess that we are left waiting on Cat's fitness, as the only challenger to Rousey, if the chmp were to be the winner in that bout, then I don't quite see who could be another opponent for her, and with just the one weight class for the women at the moment in the UFC, there isn't the same opportunities to move between divisions like there is for the men, so she would be stuck waiting for someone to reach her level.

As for the other co-main event, the champ there did very well, and fully deserved to retain his title, hopefully with that being a talent rich division, we can see some more good fights there.

Anyone watching the next PPV tomorrow morning/tonight?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Weidman proved he was a good champion last night, i was really impressed with him, controlled rounds 1 to 3, and withstood some real pressure in rounds 4 and 5. I thought he caught a sloppy Anderson Silva to win the title, got lucky Silva broke his leg in the defence, but his fight showed he could be a good champ. it was a really exciting 4th and 5th rounds, very good fight.

Rousey was outstanding, right hand punch, knee to the body, awesome judo throw and punches to the face. She looks bigger at the weight than her opponents, hopefully there is someone to test her but its difficult to see who. Plus it was nice to see her without the silly WWE histrionics, although she is still pulling her sulking child face on her entrance :D
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UFC is on a Loser showing womens fighting.. it is just horrendous to watch fights that last 16 seconds and the most boring slap fests time to let some other organisation show them

The Wiedman v Machida was a good fight though making up for the womans garbage
  • 18days18days Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's Ronda's hand after the fight. Although i love the fights, i do not know how long it takes to get over an injury. Is a month long enough?

pic.twitter.com/New2hEzgED
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Edgar V Penn fight was a bitter disappointment
    BJ is a long way past his sell by date - he has been a great fighter but it is very sad to see him performing so badly
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18days wrote: »
    Here's Ronda's hand after the fight. Although i love the fights, i do not know how long it takes to get over an injury. Is a month long enough?

pic.twitter.com/New2hEzgED

She won't be able to fight next month, I think they require a certain amount of time out of action automatically for things like that, no matter how minor.

Holy shit at Ronda winning so fast though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Conor McGregor has talked his way to the headline fight in Dublin... never in History of the sport can I recall a fighter topping the bill after two fights... so it is hardly surprising that the other fighters are moaning about it

he has been subbed twice in the first round fights a bunch of 2nd raters and talks his way to being the headline fight and greatest of all time blah blah

I dont believe Diego Brandau is top drawer either - so after this weekends fight I hope we see Mcgregor fight some real top competition worthy of top of the bill status
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Conor McGregor has talked his way to the headline fight in Dublin... never in History of the sport can I recall a fighter topping the bill after two fights... so it is hardly surprising that the other fighters are moaning about it

he has been subbed twice in the first round fights a bunch of 2nd raters and talks his way to being the headline fight and greatest of all time blah blah

I dont believe Diego Brandau is top drawer either - so after this weekends fight I hope we see Mcgregor fight some real top competition worthy of top of the bill status

I know that it is very different circumstances, but after how many MMA fights did Lesner headline? Wasn't it in his second or third fight he got a title fight? So it is not exactly unheard of for a fighter to be topping the bill so early, but he has sort of done a Sonnen to get himself where he has, now he has to deliver, which will be far tougher.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I know that it is very different circumstances, but after how many MMA fights did Lesner headline? Wasn't it in his second or third fight he got a title fight? So it is not exactly unheard of for a fighter to be topping the bill so early, but he has sort of done a Sonnen to get himself where he has, now he has to deliver, which will be far tougher.

Lesnar was a completely different beast. A monster of a draw, not really comparable.

The weigh in's were mental for anybody that didn't see them. Dana said they were the best he's done in 13 years. Crazy showdown between McGregor and Brandao. Personally I still think people are underestimating Brandao. In the long run it'll benefit the UFC if McGregor wins but Brandao is certainly capable of pulling out the upset if he doesn't let his emotions get the better of him like he has a couple of times, needs to close the distance though and explode early. Should be brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Lesnar was a completely different beast. A monster of a draw, not really comparable.

The weigh in's were mental for anybody that didn't see them. Dana said they were the best he's done in 13 years. Crazy showdown between McGregor and Brandao. Personally I still think people are underestimating Brandao. In the long run it'll benefit the UFC if McGregor wins but Brandao is certainly capable of pulling out the upset if he doesn't let his emotions get the better of him like he has a couple of times, needs to close the distance though and explode early. Should be brilliant.

I said that it was completely different circumstances with Brock, but it does show that it can be achieved at a very early stage with the right conditions.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    No love for the Conor McGregor fight/ hypetrain?
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Quality show, great performance from McGregor. Brandao looked dangerous as expected quite early but from there on it was all about McGregor controlling the fight and putting him away, really good performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah McGregor did well indeed, put his fists where his mouth got him, great credit to Parke as well, he looked very good as well in the first fight shown.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brock Lesnar and Kimbo Slice immediately come to mind in MMA, and Audley Harrison headlined in his first professional fight. I'm sure if I give it more thought I can think of others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brock Lesnar and Kimbo Slice immediately come to mind in MMA, and Audley Harrison headlined in his first professional fight. I'm sure if I give it more thought I can think of others.

Kimbo Slice never topped the bill for the UFC

Brock Lesnar topped the bill for the first time when he fought Randy Couture and it was his 4th MMA fight but at the time a multi millionaire superstar name across the USA

Audley Harrison did top the bill courtesy of him signing a TV deal for £1 million with the BBC - they drip fed him one bum after another further helping boxing going into the doldrums in this country... there was a time when every schoolboy in the Country knew who the British heavyweight champ was
    these days not half of 1% could name todays champ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimbo Slice never topped the bill for the UFC

Brock Lesnar topped the bill for the first time when he fought Randy Couture and it was his 4th MMA fight but at the time a multi millionaire superstar name across the USA

Audley Harrison did top the bill courtesy of him signing a TV deal for £1 million with the BBC - they drip fed him one bum after another further helping boxing going into the doldrums in this country... there was a time when every schoolboy in the Country knew who the British heavyweight champ was
    these days not half of 1% could name todays champ
    Brock Lesnar headlined the Dynamite USA card in his MMA debut against Min-Soo Kim.

Kimbo Slice headlined an Elite XC card against Tank Abott in his second fight.

There's more to MMA than the UFC you know.

The fact remains, Audley also headlined in his first professional fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to seeing the Lawler V Brown fight... has the makings of fight of the year written all over it..
    I see Lawler taking it by TKO at some point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to seeing the Lawler V Brown fight... has the makings of fight of the year written all over it..
    I see Lawler taking it by TKO at some point

What a great card too. Not like that joke of a boxing card Frank Warren has put on tonight.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Ruthless Robbie Lawler vs Matt the Immortal Brown!

Come on people this has OMG written all over it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the Lawler fight had a few too many tricks up his sleeve for Brown