Newbie to Parks and Recreation

LMLM Posts: 63,477
Forum Member
✭✭
I began watching Parks and Rec this morning on Netflix and I have to say, i love it. Season 1 was only six episodes and I am starting season 2 tonight. I think Amy Poehler is just brilliant as Lesley Knope.

Any fans here?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC4 Wednesday 1am (Thursday morning) Episode 17 of season 2.
    Followed by episode 18.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently just finished it. All in all it's a good show. Some of the cast, Chris Pratt in particular, almost phone in their performance in the later seasons. They all seem a little bored.
  • cf80cf80 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Parks & Recreation, when it is on form, is a brilliant show. The first season was a bit slow but they really started to get things right from season two onwards. I thought that Season Five was a bit poor but then they got things back on track for the sixth season.

Season 7 will be the last, so hopefully they go out with on a high!!!
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there were one or two gems in S1 but so far s2 at BBC4 pace has been disappointing (apart from Sister City)
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    One of my favorite shows that keeps getting better as it goes. The season 6 finale was one of the best episodes of a TV comedy ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only started watching after i'd seen an episode on a flight home from New York last year, it's brilliant!! I've only seen to the end of season 3 (watching on BBC4) but there are genuine laugh out loud moments at least once per episode
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am nearly at the end of season 2 and I am already finding it dull to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am nearly at the end of season 2 and I am already finding it dull to be honest.

Maybe try a bit of season 3 i think the addition of Ben and Chris helps alot
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried watching on Netflix, but I just couldn't get into it and gave up after episode 3. Amy Poehler actually irritated me a little bit if I am being honest. I was really disappointed as so many people really love it.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC1983 wrote: »
    I tried watching on Netflix, but I just couldn't get into it and gave up after episode 3. Amy Poehler actually irritated me a little bit if I am being honest. I was really disappointed as so many people really love it.

Jump to season 2 and watch from there...
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    i think the addition of Ben and Chris helps alot

Agreed. Once Rob Lowe and Adam Scott joined towards the end of Season 2 the show really became great. Ron Swanson and Chris Traeger are two of the greatest comedy creations ever, IMO.

The first season had a mixed to negative response from both viewers and critcs so the writers and producers took on board the comments that were being posted online and it was really from Season 2 onwards that the critical acclaim began.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Has anyone noticed Parks & Rec is being shown at much later times. It's on tonight, but not till 2am, after the repeats of the evening showing of Indian Hill Railways. I'm really suprised the bbc don't show it at a more convenient time, which would also help with it's popularity. So many people are missing out on this show, as they probably don't even know it exists.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I set it to series record and watch it the next day anyway ;-)

s2 has been disappointing apart from Sis City + Telethon but we're now down to the last 2 eps when Rob Lowe & Adam Scott join
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Fun show. Really picks up about 6 or 7 episodes into Season 2 right through seasons 3 and 4. Tails off a bit after that.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    The show definitely took time in finding its feet - but stick with it from the beginning.

I'm currently binge-watching it at the minute and I'm midway through Season 6. Some of the actors, Chris Pratt especially, seem to be phoning in their performances by this point. But considering he was off shooting Guardians of the Galaxy at the time, maybe the idea of being a major Hollywood leading man is overriding his motivation. I'm glad Amy Poehler won her Golden Globe this year as it gained the show some well-deserved recognition.

The show is still excellent though. From Season 3 onwards it knew the direction it wanted to go in. Leslie Knope is very likeable and charming, played marvellously by Amy Poehler. Ron Swanson is perhaps one of the best comedy characters in recent years. :D

I think the vast array of Pawnee/Eagleton residents who have appeared on a regular basis over all the seasons have contributed to why I enjoy this show too.

It's frustrating that this show doesn't have much of a platform over here. If I tell anyone I'm watching this show they look at me like I have 2 heads. Granted, explaining that it's a TV comedy after telling them the actual name of the show does sound odd. But perhaps the fact it's very underrated right now is a great thing.

Just 13 more episodes to come for its 7th and final season in 2015. :(

One of my favourite moments is when Leslie is sick with the flu. Andy looks up the internet to diagnose her symptoms... ''Leslie, I typed your symptoms into the thing up here and it says you could have network connectivity problems.'' :D
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is an excllent line. One I've used myself since. :D

Andy is brilliant. Quite amazing how Chris Pratt has gone from that to a action movie hero. Good luck to him.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I've just completed my binge-watch of this wonderful show, taking me right up to the Season 6 finale, so I'll put the rest of my post within spoilers so I don't ruin it for anyone else.
    First of all, Michelle Obama! Yikes! How many other sitcoms get the First Lady of the United States guest starring? Anyway, I'm glad Leslie took her new job but managed to keep working from Pawnee. I guess I could discuss the entire episode but let's be honest - the only thing I need to talk about is that final minute where the show jumps 3 years into the future. We don't see Ron, Tom or Donna on the busy 3rd floor - we do however see Leslie and Ben about to step out to attend an important event. Just before Andy and April take on their triplets.

But there's a surprise with a cameo from Jon Hamm - or a ''Hammeo'' if you will... (sorry! :blush:) Anyway, Leslie fires him for being the most incompetent employee she's ever worked with (and that's including Terry, formally known as Gary/Gerry/Larry!). Jon Hamm thanks her for 3 wonderful years - is this a nod to Rob Lowe's departure, as he had spent 3 years on the show? The character's lines and Jon Hamm's delivery was very much played like Lowe's character Chris too. I had heard rumours that Lowe was unpopular amongst the cast and crew. Was this an obvious nod to it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when bbc4 will be continuing with season 3? The second season ended last week, but there's no sign of the third 😨
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any programme with Ron Swanson in it gets my vote...

(Watched a movie other day called "In A World" - a comedy set in the world of movie trailer voiceover artists (it's far better than that sounds) - and Nick Heffernan has a small, but crucial part in it. No Ron 'tache, so you double take, but it is him, with that laid back voice).