Options

Have Britney, Beyoncé or Rihanna ever written a song by themselves?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
Forum Member
I know out of the big stars of the industry these 3 are more singers than singer/songwriters and so there is always debate as to how much they actually contribute to songs, especially when their name is tacked onto the end of a list of 8/9 songwriters (and Bey getting caught out a few times).

So have any of them actually written a whole song by themselves, lyrics and melody? Failing that have any of them written a song with maybe just one other writer?

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Britney Everytime written by her and Annette Stamatelatos.

Not sure about the other two doubt Rihanna has Beyonce probably
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney Spears wrote Everytime with just one other writer and that is one of her most beautiful songs she's ever done! She's co-written a handful of other songs but most of them are pre-Blackout. She wrote a song called Whiplash for Selena Gomez too (can't tell you what it's like cause I haven't heard it!). Femme Fatale has no songs co-written by her, her lack of involvement in the project was one of the key negatives that critics picked up on frequently.

Beyoncé has co-written a lot of Destiny's Child material, she bragged about it at her Roseland Shows when she introduced a few of the older hits like Bootylicious. She co-wrote all of her latest album 4 and has contributed to tracks on Dangerously In Love, B-Day and I...Am Sasha Fierce. But like you said, as much as I love Beyoncé and she is my favourite artist, she is known to lie about her contributions to songs.

Rihanna has increased her writing contribution over the years. She co-wrote Break It Off, Hard, Wait Your Turn, Rockstar 101, Rude Boy, Run This Town (think this was more Jay-Z/Kanye though), Te Amo and a handful of tracks from Talk that Talk including Birthday Cake, Cockiness and You da One.

They've all done more writing than anyone would think! I hope Britney particularly writes songs on her next album or becomes more involved rather than letting the label and her producers do all the work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you brought their music then you would no that. Read the booklet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    Britney Spears wrote Everytime with just one other writer and that is one of her most beautiful songs she's ever done! She's co-written a handful of other songs but most of them are pre-Blackout. She wrote a song called Whiplash for Selena Gomez too (can't tell you what it's like cause I haven't heard it!). Femme Fatale has no songs co-written by her, her lack of involvement in the project was one of the key negatives that critics picked up on frequently.

Beyoncé has co-written a lot of Destiny's Child material, she bragged about it at her Roseland Shows when she introduced a few of the older hits like Bootylicious. She co-wrote all of her latest album 4 and has contributed to tracks on Dangerously In Love, B-Day and I...Am Sasha Fierce. But like you said, as much as I love Beyoncé and she is my favourite artist, she is known to lie about her contributions to songs.

Rihanna has increased her writing contribution over the years. She co-wrote Break It Off, Hard, Wait Your Turn, Rockstar 101, Rude Boy, Run This Town (think this was more Jay-Z/Kanye though), Te Amo and a handful of tracks from Talk that Talk including Birthday Cake, Cockiness and You da One.

They've all done more writing than anyone would think! I hope Britney particularly writes songs on her next album or becomes more involved rather than letting the label and her producers do all the work.

But they've never written a song by themselves, only co-writes?

So as far as we know they may have only changed one word, like "smack" into "smash".
    If you brought their music then you would no that. Read the booklet!

I'm hardly going to buy 20 something albums just to get the answer to this question :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most likely answer to that is... no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Stating the obvious here, but co-writing doesn't constitute as writing a song by themselves. ;)
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a producer Scott Scorch confirmed that Britney was the main (if not only) writer for Rebellion...a track on her lost 'Original Doll' album....she wrote a lot of very personal tracks during that era which mysteriously have all been kept locked away in the vaults....a few snippets here and there are starting to leak however...but I do think that ironically, the one album that shows Britney at her most artistic will never see the light of day.

Beyoncé tends to steal or claim to write songs...just ask BC Jean or Ne-Yo...and Rihanna occasionally co-writes on her music, though it's not clear how much involvement she actually has. Other songwriters/singers appear to have delivered her the majority of her hits...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been pointed in the direction of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtBfGxNqpY&ob=av2e

Which according to wikipedia Britney is the sole writer for...anything for the other two?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they've never written a song by themselves, only co-writes?

So as far as we know they may have only changed one word, like "smack" into "smash".

I'm hardly going to buy 20 something albums just to get the answer to this question :rolleyes:

Well go on wikipedia then!
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the amount of writers should matter, as long as it turns out to be a great song. I don't have too much info on Rihanna's songwriting skills, but didn't Loud have no credits, and Talk That Talk have very little songwriting, from Rihanna? She's more about the image and performances and what not though, I suppose.
    Beyonce, apparently, co-/writes many of her songs, but for some reason doubt is cast on it a lot. I don't see her being in the industry this long and not having an ear for a hook or lyrics in a verse. I think she's very involved in her music, but she can't write a song on her own, and I don't see an issue with that.

Britney does co-write/produce.
    BOMT only had 2 songs she either wrote of produced, but seeing as she was targetted as a bubblegum pop princess I doubt the label expected or allowed much input. The same applies to OIDIA .
    Britney began to co-write a lot more on her 3rd self-titled album, co-writing 5 songs on the album. On her 4th album, In The Zone, she co-wrote most (9/13) of the album and it is seen as a contender for her best album. On the album was "Everytime" which was written and composed by Britney along with only one other writer.
    In between ITZ and Blackout, Britney was apparently heavily involved in the song writing for the unreleased album "THe Original Doll", but also solely wrote and produced the song "Someday (I Will Understand)" for the Chaotic EP.
    Blackout had an ITZ level of contribution from Britney on songwriting, which is also seen as a strong contender for her best work (Mainly for the production, though).
    Many fans feel that after Blackout, when the conservatorship came into effect she was stripped of her creative control and the label pushed for songs written and produced by people who are seen as a safe bet (Max Martin, Dr. Luke). Circus, however, had the song "My Baby" (Which I hate) which was written by Britney and one other writer.

So, in conclusion, Britney's contribution to her lyrics are often deemed minimal, but she has delivered great songs she has co-wriote throughout most of her career. Also, many producers she has worked with have praised her for being very hands on in her work, and if she makes a suggestion to change lyrics or arrangements she doesn't feel the need to take a writing credit for it. It's the opposite of what people claim Beyonce does.

:)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce did used to write a lot of her stuff but she has become more of a co writer since her third album. Taking the back seat. Especially with her 4th album.

Rihanna and Britney are more of producers than songwriters. It doesn't matter if they don't write, does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyonce did used to write a lot of her stuff but she has become more of a co writer since her third album. Taking the back seat. Especially with her 4th album.

Rihanna and Britney are more of producers than songwriters. It doesn't matter if they don't write, does it?

No it doesnt :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Stating the obvious here, but co-writing doesn't constitute as writing a song by themselves. ;)
    True, but it's extremely rare to have only one songwriter credited for a song. There are so many people who contribute to the song (in production, in vocal arrangement, in slight changes in the lyrics), so I don't think it's possible to find a song (in the mainstream genres) that is written exclusively by one composer...
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I don't think the amount of writers should matter, as long as it turns out to be a great song. I don't have too much info on Rihanna's songwriting skills, but didn't Loud have no credits, and Talk That Talk have very little songwriting, from Rihanna? She's more about the image and performances and what not though, I suppose.
    Beyonce, apparently, co-/writes many of her songs, but for some reason doubt is cast on it a lot. I don't see her being in the industry this long and not having an ear for a hook or lyrics in a verse. I think she's very involved in her music, but she can't write a song on her own, and I don't see an issue with that.

Britney does co-write/produce.
    BOMT only had 2 songs she either wrote of produced, but seeing as she was targetted as a bubblegum pop princess I doubt the label expected or allowed much input. The same applies to OIDIA .
    Britney began to co-write a lot more on her 3rd self-titled album, co-writing 5 songs on the album. On her 4th album, In The Zone, she co-wrote most (9/13) of the album and it is seen as a contender for her best album. On the album was "Everytime" which was written and composed by Britney along with only one other writer.
    In between ITZ and Blackout, Britney was apparently heavily involved in the song writing for the unreleased album "THe Original Doll", but also solely wrote and produced the song "Someday (I Will Understand)" for the Chaotic EP.
    Blackout had an ITZ level of contribution from Britney on songwriting, which is also seen as a strong contender for her best work (Mainly for the production, though).
    Many fans feel that after Blackout, when the conservatorship came into effect she was stripped of her creative control and the label pushed for songs written and produced by people who are seen as a safe bet (Max Martin, Dr. Luke). Circus, however, had the song "My Baby" (Which I hate) which was written by Britney and one other writer.

So, in conclusion, Britney's contribution to her lyrics are often deemed minimal, but she has delivered great songs she has co-wriote throughout most of her career. Also, many producers she has worked with have praised her for being very hands on in her work, and if she makes a suggestion to change lyrics or arrangements she doesn't feel the need to take a writing credit for it. It's the opposite of what people claim Beyonce does.

:)

So true ever since the CS came into effect shes just become this different person :( I mean Blackout she was HEAVILY involved with everything she picked the songs she chose the direction of the album, she picked the producers etc etc She basically shut the door on Jive from being any part of it and Blackout is her best album to date and one of the best albums of the Decade imo and im not just saying that as a fan:p

Orignal Doll would of been the one album she Write/produced herself but Jive got there hands on it and scrapped it :mad:

Britney does write alot of songs to which is what alot of people forget her songs just never make the cut cause her team want to take the SAFE route and pick the writers themselves :rolleyes:

I jut hope one day when this CS is over Britney will shock everyone with an Original Doll Style album :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney has written quite a lot, she also writes the melodies on her piano. The last song on her last album 'Scary' was all her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    True, but it's extremely rare to have only one songwriter credited for a song. There are so many people who contribute to the song (in production, in vocal arrangement, in slight changes in the lyrics), so I don't think it's possible to find a song (in the mainstream genres) that is written exclusively by one composer...

I don't think its a rare as people think, maybe not for the mega-successful singers but I'm sure there are plenty of songs lower down the top 40 written by one person.

Its strange that Britney once wrote a single all by herself and now she doesn't bother.

Do Rihanna or Beyoncé play any instruments because that would get in the way of writing their own songs without help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Britney has written quite a lot, she also writes the melodies on her piano. The last song on her last album 'Scary' was all her.

Yes rue :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I don't think its a rare as people think, maybe not for the mega-successful singers but I'm sure there are plenty of songs lower down the top 40 written by one person.

Its strange that Britney once wrote a single all by herself and now she doesn't bother.

Do Rihanna or Beyoncé play any instruments because that would get in the way of writing their own songs without help.
    That's why I mentioned mainstream genres only, I know that there are a lot of low key acts that don't enter the charts that write their own music with no help. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say Beyoncé has taken a back seat, especially with 4 as she's credited with co-writing every single song on the record and began to get involved with the production side of things, that's anything but a backseat.

At the end of the day, as long as the artists I love keep going on and having successful careers and making music I enjoy and come back to time and time again, I don't mind if they didn't make it all themselves, I'm just happy that they are still doing what they do!
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce is a strange one in my opinion. There have been a few claims over the years about her wanting credits on songs she never had any part in. I honestly don't know what to think about her on that front.

Incredible performer however.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Yes and no. Writing songs is not cut and dry people. It is NOT pure lyricism. Beyonce always composes her songs on a vocal level (example, Countdown and Get me Bodied) and occasionally on a musical level hence the credit. You can't steal a song, it's impossible. Rihanna also co-writes on some of her songs. You can tell she does because her name isn't on some songs. Britney has done a lot too, although I don't get why her label don't like her own songs..is it the quality? People keep saying she writes on them but doesn't want the credit, which to me is bullshit. I'll happily lose $20-30m to appear humble...:rolleyes: Ridiculous. Adele in comparison wrote a demo of a song (Chasing Pavements) with a basic melody on guitar and it was added to in the studio. Songs don't come together in the same way. 'tis not a simple matter of changing words.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    If you can't play an instrument, then you'll hardly never write a song alone. Because someone will have to compose it (Elton John + Bernie Taupin are the most famous examples). So you can write a verse/bridge but it has no other place, and someone will write the rest of a song around it, which is what each 3 of the ladies have done. There are teams of people (ie 3/4) for a reason. A lyricist, composer, vocal producer (occasionally 2 lyricists). Hence the 3/4 people.
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna co-wrote most tracks most songs on her Rated R album. Know it co-wrote doesnt say a whole lot, but she must of done enough of it, because I dont think she has taken any writing crediting on any other albums..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney didn't produce "Someday (I Will Understand)". That was Guy Sigsworth. She did write the song on her own, however, and it's a beautiful song. So is Everytime.

She should use her creativity more.