Options

BT to give free HD Youview box to new customers from 26/10.£49 for existing customers

stej86stej86 Posts: 921
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=4EE9DE54-23A8-4655-A90B-9E83E0DB2B47

BT offers YouView box worth £299 for free

BT has announced today that it will offer a free YouView set top box* with no TV subscription to new BT Infinity customers. Broadband customers not in an Infinity enabled area will also be able to get a free YouView box* when they subscribe to TV Essential, starting at £4/month. Both offer a massive saving on the retail price of the YouView set top box, which is priced at £299 at retailers across the country.

With YouView from BT customers can enjoy:
• More than 100 digital TV and radio channels
• Seven day catch-up TV allowing customers to scroll back and catch up across all the channels from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
• On-demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, Demand5, Milkshake and NowTV with more content providers on the way
• Access to BT Vision, the largest library of video on-demand on YouView, with over five thousand programmes, including blockbuster and classic films, the best UK and US TV shows, kids shows, sports and the only place where you can find the latest HD films and music videos on YouView.
• Self-install YouView HUMAX box – customers with BT broadband can be up and running as soon as it arrives
• BT’s YouView box comes with 500Gb hard drive, able to store up to 300 hours of SD TV or around 125 hours of HD TV
• All of this with market leading broadband, up to 8x faster than the UK average**

YouView from BT will be available with all of BT’s TV and broadband packages and will launch on 26 October. Existing customers can also upgrade to YouView for £49 ***.

Customers who register their interest in YouView in advance (with no obligation) at www.bt.com/youview will have the opportunity to be first to place their order for YouView, during an exclusive window between October 19-26. These customers will be sent an e-mail invitation with a link to a special web site.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mention yet on if those who have vision with Sky Sports/ESPN can move to the new box and keep the sports channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very interesting that in there own press release, BT are promoting one of the features of there new box as being you can use it to get NOW TV from Sky.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=4EE9DE54-23A8-4655-A90B-9E83E0DB2B47

"• On-demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, Demand5, Milkshake and NowTV with more content providers on the way"

Make you wonder are BT going to allow Sky to give access to Sky Sports and Movie channels through NOW TV on the BT Vision platform and not need to provide it themselves as they do now.

If so you would be paying sky directly for a subscription for Sky Sports/ Movies / Sky Channels etc through NOW TV on BT Vision. Then you would pay BT for your broadband, essential tv and telephone.

Very interesting times and could see a whole new world where you get premium channels directly from Sky on other companies platforms.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press release actually raises just as many questions as it answers. Over on the main YouView thread I posed these questions yesterday, which I believe are still valid.
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    A further unknown is what software will be on the boxes that BT provides. They could be:
    i) New HD BT Vision 2 box with a merged IPTV-Freeview EPG as shown here.
    ii) YouView box with a Talk Talk TV approach ie with a separate EPG for the subscription channels accessed via app.
    iii) One box which offers both the merged EPG and a YouView app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stej86 wrote: »
    Make you wonder are BT going to allow Sky to give access to Sky Sports and Movie channels through NOW TV on the BT Vision platform and not need to provide it themselves as they do now.

If so you would be paying sky directly for a subscription for Sky Sports/ Movies / Sky Channels etc through NOW TV on BT Vision. Then you would pay BT for your broadband, essential tv and telephone.

Very interesting times and could see a whole new world where you get premium channels directly from Sky on other companies platforms.
    YouView is not BT's platform, it's YouView's. If Sky or anyone else agrees with YouView to provide access to its content there is nothing that BT can do about it. YouView's shareholders which include BT and TalkTalk have signed up to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouView is not BT's platform, it's YouView's. If Sky or anyone else agrees with YouView to provide access to its content there is nothing that BT can do about it. YouView's shareholders which include BT and TalkTalk have signed up to this.

BT maybe able to restrict certain content from other providers going onto the boxes they provide though, or through the bt broadband multi cast network.

Think of it being similar to how Android is on mobile phones. Same interface for all but some providers offer extra apps, dont allow other companies apps to run etc. Youview maybe similar to this.

No one knows for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT maybe able to restrict certain content from other providers going onto the boxes they provide though, or through the bt broadband multi cast network.

Think of it being similar to how Android is on mobile phones. Same interface for all but some providers offer extra apps, dont allow other companies apps to run etc. Youview maybe similar to this.

No one knows for sure.

Sorry, disagree, we do know for sure that BT and TalkTalk have signed up to the concept of platform neutrality so they will not restrict other providers' apps. Otherwise the BBC's investment could be seen as an unfair subsidy to BT and TalkTalk. This was one of the key conditions that the BBC Trust specified for licence fee payers' money to be spent on developing YouView.

However, I do agree that the ISPs will offer addittional apps exclusively to their own broadband subscribers.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No one knows for sure.

BT will not be able to restrict anything. The only thing they'll be restricting is access to their own player for BT customers only.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the email they sent...

Customers within their minimum term can purchase the YouView box for £299.

Which is extremely gracious of them - especially when you can buy the box for around £270 online.
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff but im in the states when its becomes available!!!. Will be getting it anyway. Cant wait.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M_at wrote: »
    From the email they sent...

Customers within their minimum term can purchase the YouView box for £299.

Which is extremely gracious of them - especially when you can buy the box for around £270 online.

Moan if you want but im getting rather cheap youview box for next to nowt. I guess thats still to expensive for the haters :yawn:
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press release is contradictory. Read the bottom of it:

* £49 activation charge, £6.95 delivery charge for the hub and line rental applies. To get a free YouView box you’ll need to sign up to BT Infinity/BT Broadband and BT Vision Essential (rising to £5/month on 5 Jan) both with a 12 month minimum term. You’ll also need a fast-enough line and a BT Home Hub. Quality of content depends on local transmitter, suitable rooftop aerial and availability of digital channels (www.youview.com). We’ll charge you for some On Demand content. Terms apply.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one knows for sure.

To clear this up Youview own the software on youview boxes talktalk and bt just simply add their own players to it.
    Any app on the Youview platfor (talktalk and bt players exempt) have been agreed between the company launching the app and Youview direct. BT or Talktalk can not restrict anything offered via the Youview platform except for their own players/apps.
    Youview is owned by Youview not bt or talktalk. Now tv is on the youview box provided by talktalk even though talktalk offer skysports and movies themselves.
    What i'd expect BT to do is what talktalk did simply just offer Skymovies for £15p/m on a monthly contract. This would then make it the same price as Skymovies via Nowtv.
    I expect Skysports will be around £30p/m when it launches via Nowtv too hence BT and TT would ideally charge £30p/m for Skysports matching the price on Now tv.
    Also be aware the Humax Youview box is physically incampable of multicast this has come from Humax directly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of Vision when I moved, just been offered the new YouView box from them but not happy about the 49 connection fee, regardless of this, is it worth getting as I have not missed Vision? I have HD Freeview already, is the You View aspect going to be worth it?
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that mean that will BT shifting their bum into gear and roll out Infinity to those areas like mine who still have not got it ,

Also will I be able to get the new box for the 49 quid even tho I am only half way thru a 12 month contract I can't wait till next year I want it next month
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got an email from BT about it the day as well. It just talks about YouView and get BTVision on it no talk of other channels and services BT may may offer. I thinkj for now I may get it with the £4 a month basic package. I woluld keep my Sagemcam Freeview + HD box that I use the now in living room as a spare box.
    Anyone know if the Humax made YouView box is any good and if the EPG will load ok. For my sister had an old Humax Freeview + box a few years back and it take a good few seconds for the EPG to fully load up after the box fully booted up.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Also be aware the Humax Youview box is physically incampable of multicast this has come from Humax directly.

I dont believe that. This box is meant to be BTs new platform for the new sport channels etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Moan if you want but im getting rather cheap youview box for next to nowt. I guess thats still to expensive for the haters :yawn:

I'm moaning that they're charging over the odds for the box. Even John Lewis only charge £279 for it.

Hughes Direct are selling at £254.39 with a code.

If they don't want to provide people who have a contract term to go (even if they extend by the 12 months) then they could at least offer a competitive price for the unit.

As I have 16 months of contract left and Virgin Media about to cable up our apartment block I'm more likely to take Virgin's TiVo service and cancel the BT Vision down the the £4 per month package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M_at wrote: »
    I'm moaning that they're charging over the odds for the box. Even John Lewis only charge £279 for it.

Hughes Direct are selling at £254.39 with a code.

If they don't want to provide people who have a contract term to go (even if they extend by the 12 months) then they could at least offer a competitive price for the unit.

As I have 16 months of contract left and Virgin Media about to cable up our apartment block I'm more likely to take Virgin's TiVo service and cancel the BT Vision down the the £4 per month package.

Spend £250 at Hughs Direct then. You can still access BTV content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Multicast is a BT fibre term, it's nothing to do with the receiving equipment. The Humax can receive IPTV channels as TalkTalk will be using the Humax too which will get its range of premium channels. However, the box can't currently get the IPTV channels managed by Connect TV in the 200s; this is a software constraint which is likely to be changed in the future. Connect TV is now part of Arqiva who own a stake in YouView hence this looking likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Multicast is a BT fibre term, it's nothing to do with the receiving equipment. The Humax can receive IPTV channels as TalkTalk will be using the Humax too which will get its range of premium channels. However, the box can't currently get the IPTV channels managed by Connect TV in the 200s; this is a software constraint which is likely to be changed in the future. Connect TV is now part of Arqiva who own a stake in YouView hence this looking likely.

Talktalks channels are being received via the talktalk player and cant be recorded. BTs channels are supposed to be proper channels in the guide and can be recorded cant they?. Tell me ive understood this correctly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talktalks channels are being received via the talktalk player and cant be recorded. BTs channels are supposed to be proper channels in the guide and can be recorded cant they?. Tell me ive understood this correctly!

Hope you will be able to record the channels on BT for the likes of whan you are at work or away on holiday.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Hope you will be able to record the channels on BT for the likes of whan you are at work or away on holiday.

Darren

You cant record vod of course but like you im hoping we can record BTs new multicast channels.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT's channels will be delivered via the BT Player - no mention from anybody, at any time, about the channels being delivered in any other way other than through stand alone apps and players! The channels BT offer will not be recordable just as the channels from TalkTalk aren't!

This is come up again and again but I fail to see how they can add channels to the guide when numbers have already been assigned to Freeview services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BT offers YouView box worth £299 for free

BT has announced today that it will offer a free YouView set top box* with no TV subscription to new BT Infinity customers. Broadband customers not in an Infinity enabled area will also be able to get a free YouView box* when they subscribe to TV Essential, starting at £4/month. Both offer a massive saving on the retail price of the YouView set top box, which is priced at £299 at retailers across the country.

With YouView from BT customers can enjoy:
    • More than 100 digital TV and radio channels
    • Seven day catch-up TV allowing customers to scroll back and catch up across all the channels from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
    • On-demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, Demand5, Milkshake and NowTV with more content providers on the way
    • Access to BT Vision, the largest library of video on-demand on YouView, with over five thousand programmes, including blockbuster and classic films, the best UK and US TV shows, kids shows, sports and the only place where you can find the latest HD films and music videos on YouView.
    • Self-install YouView HUMAX box – customers with BT broadband can be up and running as soon as it arrives
    • BT’s YouView box comes with 500Gb hard drive, able to store up to 300 hours of SD TV or around 125 hours of HD TV
    • All of this with market leading broadband, up to 8x faster than the UK average**

YouView from BT will be available with all of BT’s TV and broadband packages and will launch on 26 October. Existing customers can also upgrade to YouView for £49 ***.

Customers who register their interest in YouView in advance (with no obligation) at www.bt.com/youview will have the opportunity to be first to place their order for YouView, during an exclusive window between October 19-26. These customers will be sent an e-mail invitation with a link to a special web site.

As I already have BT Infinity will I be offered a free box. I still got just under 9 months of a 12 month contract to go. As I tane a new 12 months contract when I got the BT Ininfinity speed upgrade and £2.50 a month of the Infinity with Evening and weekend call package for a year.
    As I said I got an email from BT the day like some others as I registered for BT YouView 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    BT's channels will be delivered via the BT Player - no mention from anybody, at any time, about the channels being delivered in any other way other than through stand alone apps and players! The channels BT offer will not be recordable just as the channels from TalkTalk aren't!

This is come up again and again but I fail to see how they can add channels to the guide when numbers have already been assigned to Freeview services.

Of course, BT Vision 2 might be an entirely separate box from YouView but this video on You Tube (1.24mins) shows an EPG integrating the Freeview and IPTV channels. If the two are really separate what benefit does BT get from offering YouView as well as BT Vision?