Presta Valve Adaptor.

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a Muddy Fox pump which according to the box is suitable for Presta and Schrader valves...but it doesn't come with the adaptors.I need a presta adaptor but am a bit confused on what that is. Searching online i've seen Presta to Schrader adaptors, long fabric type adaptors and little brass adaptors which sit in the pump (which is what i need i think)? Which should i get, or should i give up and just get a pump from Tesco? But looking at their website, their pumps are suitable for both types of valves so will a be looking for an adaptor for that?
I just want to pump up me tyre...how hard can it be?!
Thanks.

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My searching says that you may need to reverse the adaptor piece to make it take te smaller Presta nipple ( and remember to unscrew the valve)

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/post230392.html
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know the Muddy Fox pump, but are you sure you actually need an adaptor?
    1. Determine your bike's valve type. The two most common valve types are the Schrader valve and Presta valve. Schrader valves are most commonly found on car tires and kids bikes, while Presta valves are most commonly found on higher end bicycles.

2 Configure your pump for the valve type. Some pumps have a dual head, with one side that works for each valve type. In other pumps, you may have to disassemble the nozzle and flip over a plastic and rubber piece so it will fit the type of valve you have. Check your instruction manual to figure out which type of pump you have.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4620346_use-mini-bicycle-pump.html

ETA: In other words, much as technologist said, really! :D
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the thing, there's nothing else with the pump. There is a diagram on the packaging that says "your adaptor" pointing to where on the pump it fits, which if i had realised at the time of buying would have alerted me that the adaptor isn't included. I've unscrewed the the end of the pump but its just a rubber sealing ring and nothing else.
    I tried using it as is, but have went from having a slightly deflated tyre to having a flat tyre!
    Wasn't this hard when i was a kid with a Grifter!!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the pump's new and you think part of it is missing, could you take it back to where you bought it and ask them to give you a new one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it's missing. The pump came in one of those blister packs and there isn't any unused space. Plus the wording on the packet..Although it says it fits both types of valves, it doesn't say anything about adaptors included.
    The only adaptor that gets mentioned in the instructions is called "YOUR adaptor". It wasn't till i got home i realised that.
    Buy cheap pay twice, I'll never learn!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PIcked up a crackin pump from Tesco in the end and problem solved. Thats me finished getting stuff from Sport and Soccer, was thinking back and the lights i got from there were pretty shoddy too (back light broke from it's holder when i hit a bump!).
    Looking online i found a few other people have had trouble with muddy fox stuff..