A bit of a let down so far....?

Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
Forum Member
I was really looking forward to this, after not really watching for the last couple of years, but it's all been a bit meh for me so far and I'm not sure why...? Maybe it was because I was expecting them all to be good and no one has really shone except Suzanne so far (and I always thought Chris Fountain was robbed that year)

The lack of theme is bugging me. It just all seems just a load of random stuff thrown together. I mean are we just going to see someone doing a headbanger every week? 😴

I also don't understand the skate off format. Why are they doing their favourite routines from the old series? Is it going to be like that every week or has that just been for this knock out stage?

Comments

• strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I don't get the skate off either. Tonight only a few shone. Zarrah and Suzanne.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    I was really looking forward to this, after not really watching for the last couple of years, but it's all been a bit meh for me so far and I'm not sure why...? Maybe it was because I was expecting them all to be good and no one has really shone except Suzanne so far (and I always thought Chris Fountain was robbed that year)

The lack of theme is bugging me. It just all seems just a load of random stuff thrown together. I mean are we just going to see someone doing a headbanger every week? ��

I also don't understand the skate off format. Why are they doing their favourite routines from the old series? Is it going to be like that every week or has that just been for this knock out stage?

The skate off idea is that we saw their past glory. The problem is its a past routine, and doesn't show hat they can do now, and some have much better ones to reuse. The question is can they use the same routine multiple times - which isn't fair if you don't have 2 good routines, or the judges tire of one.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    The skate off idea is that we saw their past glory. The problem is its a past routine, and doesn't show hat they can do now, and some have much better ones to reuse. The question is can they use the same routine multiple times - which isn't fair if you don't have 2 good routines, or the judges tire of one.

Agreed. Are we going to see Hayley in her Jai Ho get up every week just in case? Or Sam "River Dancing" each time he's in the skate off? :o

Surely, it should revert back to a better performance of the routine performed in the show?
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would hope we don't get the same routine multiple times. I don't see what would stop them changing parts of the choreography either.

I've enjoyed it so far though & I am really looking forward to the rest of the competition. And thankfully it is a genuine competition & not a Ray Quinn walkover as feared.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I would hope we don't get the same routine multiple times. I don't see what would stop them changing parts of the choreography either.

I've enjoyed it so far though & I am really looking forward to the rest of the competition. And thankfully it is a genuine competition & not a Ray Quinn walkover as feared.

I think they are all shorter versions, so far, and some started longer than others too - as routines differ in length between series. Its down to who has the best routine, who can do it again, and whether its mangled by being cut, or has improvements added? Bonnie's had an even stronger final lift, but bits missing. Sam's I thought wasn't as slick as before?

Its a real competition, with at least 3 major runners already - its just a bit distorted, so far, by Jorgie - who probably was the second best female performer, on what we saw - going out far too early. Its a bit disapointing too that Bonnie hasn't got a safe vote again - although at least she escaped Jorgie's fate. The banana skin unknowns may be whether Gareth and Todd keep on staying on a big fanbase/comedy vote.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed it.

I thought the skate-off was being done like that to avoid having too many brand new performances to choreograph and rehearse. Adjusting the length was a potential problem, but easier than a brand new routine.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only bit I feel let down by is having less competent skaters knocking out potential winners

In my opinion, if they were going for an "all star" series, we should have just that

Nothing against the likes of Todd and Joe and to a lesser extent, David and Gareth, they were fine in their respective series as the comedy act or entertaining BUT in a series pitted as THE all star series, I dont think they should have been invited back
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I know he was a stupid boy but I really miss Chris Fountain. He has to be my all time favourite :(
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping it gets better from this Sunday when everyone is skating, the first 2 weeks felt really disjointed!
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the first Dancing On Ice which doesn't hold my attention - I find myself on my laptop or reading a book or doing household chores - and they're more interesting.

If Matty Lapinskas had been taking part that would have grabbed my attention.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I found Show 1 pretty disappointing, and of course the Sylvain debacle ruined it. I enjoyed Show 2 a lot more - probably because some of the skaters exceeded my expectations (Zaraah, Suzanne & David). It was also a much nicer atmosphere, and Suzanne's performance was a genuine 'moment'.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    the only bit I feel let down by is having less competent skaters knocking out potential winners

In my opinion, if they were going for an "all star" series, we should have just that

Nothing against the likes of Todd and Joe and to a lesser extent, David and Gareth, they were fine in their respective series as the comedy act or entertaining BUT in a series pitted as THE all star series, I dont think they should have been invited back

I agree, imo All Star should mean only the 1st/ 2nd, with no also rans...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit of a let-down until Suzanne skated, and she has now set the standard for the others to aspire to. But, I still think the show would have been better had Clare Buckfield also been skating.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be bothered, this show just isn't worth the effort it takes to watch it.

I'm not watching the godawful itv player, with its 5 mins of adverts for every 30s of skating (ok so I might be exaggerating a bit there, but it feels like that), and now I just discovered that most of the vids on YouTube aren't available (they're getting really efficient at taking down vids now).

The result being that I've just watched an epic performance by Davis and White at the US Nationals, and it's at this point that DOI becomes totally irrelevant to me.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of the series, I'm going to go watch some real skating.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    2nd show better than the first. I do really think the producers are totally out of touch with the public. The Jorgie and Sylvain partnership was deliberately done to get headlines. The Pamela Anderson fiasco from last year was dreadful, paying thousands for a fading US celeb who now makes her money from going on one reality show after the other in the States and she was voted off during the first show!!! Shame it used to be great to watch Dancing on Ice after Strictly.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    It's the first Dancing On Ice which doesn't hold my attention - I find myself on my laptop or reading a book or doing household chores - and they're more interesting.

If Matty Lapinskas had been taking part that would have grabbed my attention.

Yes, I am doing the same thing. Checking emails, DS Forum, Facebook!!
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first show "live" and was extremely underwhelmed.

I recorded the second show and skipped through all the adverts - a much better experience!

I do think it has run out of steam. The only routines that I have enjoyed so far are Suzanne and Zara. I had expected the routines to be more exciting than they have been tbh.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. It is easy to watch on a Sunday evening. I am not really into Sherlock and just find Call the Midwife boring so I am happy to watch this harmless show
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not writing it off just yet. I think now everyone's seen where the standard is at, you're going to get more fierce competition and better routines. Some people (Ray and Sam) aren't back up to their full potential just yet: others (Kyran and yes, ok, Hayley) haven't had a real chance to show what they can do. The surprise packages I'd say were Zaraah and Suzanne, neither of whom I expected to be as strong as they were despite Suzanne's win. They're only going to get better.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Chris Fountain. I think he was as good as Ray Quinn. Would of been great if those two were in the final!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under other circumstances Chris would certainly have been there.

I think it will pick up now they are all competing together, and we should get some great performances as the others try to narrow the gap that Susanne has created. Sam and Zaraah are under pressure to stay ahead of Ray and Kyran, and the latter two will be upping their game. So I'm looking forward to Sunday :)
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    I miss Chris Fountain. I think he was as good as Ray Quinn. Would of been great if those two were in the final!

that would have been good.