Options

quote: "I refuse to watch 'Elementary'"

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A thread from the UK section.
Anyone else? Im a fan of the BBC sherlock and i just can't accept a female 'watson'. Why? Do they do this? Sherlock and watson are fine as they are. Plus, the guy who plays sherlock in the american production is nothing more than an unoriginal try-hard actor who can't believe his luck anyone actually considered him good enough to be a lead.

Totally awful idea.

I wonder if people prefer one or the other. Anyone like both? If I'm right then it wasn't fair to only have this thread in the UK section.

I finally gave up on Sherlock after watching episode 1 of the new series. But that was really only out of loyalty having watched the previous series'. It's very King's New Clothes for me - when I see reviewers calling it adult tv that's multi layered I think: so you didn't really understand it either.

Elementary I find the more I watch it the more I enjoy it. Well told stories with a great dynamic between the characters. Watson in particular is excellent.

Comments

• Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I like both, and really wish that so many of the fans of each show would stop trying to wage war against the other show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I'm from the UK and I love both as well. I will admit I didn't think Elementary would be up to much because some times British programs don't translate well across the pond. For example, I was a massive fan of Being human but when the US version kicked off I thought this isn't going to work. Turned out I preferred that over the original UK version.

But when I watched the first episode of Elementary I was impressed and even changing Watsons gender didn't phase me, Lucy Liu does a cracking job as Joan Watson. To be fair I'm not a massive fan of Jonny Lee Miller but even he's won me over with his version of Holmes.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy both shows - they are very entertaining to me, hopefully will continue on for a few more years at least
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love watching Sherlock, and I have enjoyed all three series.:)

I don't have the channel which shows Elementary, so I can't really comment on that properly. However, someone on the other thread said that it's a bit like The Mentalist, which I used to enjoy. But as with all of that type of "procedural" show I eventually got bored. The characters were good, but felt a bit repetitive to me eventually.

I think I am probably the same with all shows like that, so not a criticism as such (as I haven't seen it!) but I'd love the chance to see one episode of Elementary, just to get the general flavour of it.:)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer Elementary. Mainly because there are more episodes (imo, 3 episodes for sherlock isn't enough for any television show to flesh out story arcs and character development) and I also adore the chemistry between Johnny and Lucy much more than Benedict and Martin Freeman. Benedict and Martin's chemistry comes across as too contrived and i don't buy the sexual chemistry, where as Jonny and Lucy's portryal is much more endearing and isn't going down the "will they or won't they" path.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Lee Miller is more than adequate to play Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu does such a good job as Watson that her gender really doesn't impact the character or the relationship between the two. I love Sherlock but prefer Elementary as there is more of it and I get to soak it in even better. Elementary is also being quite bold in its' direction.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Elementary is also being quite bold in its' direction.

Agreed. What they did with Moriarty and Irene Adler was pretty brilliant.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer Elementary. Mainly because there are more episodes (imo, 3 episodes for sherlock isn't enough for any television show to flesh out story arcs and character development) and I also adore the chemistry between Johnny and Lucy much more than Benedict and Martin Freeman. Benedict and Martin's chemistry comes across as too contrived and i don't buy the sexual chemistry, where as Jonny and Lucy's portryal is much more endearing and isn't going down the "will they or won't they" path.

:confused: Is there supposed to be sexual tension? I don't think that's their intention to portray it anyway.
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love both series. But will never compare the two. They are completely different shows. And Watson being female really is needed for the show imo. I don't think it would be as interesting with a male Watson, but you never know.
  • Options
    Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy both series, but have to say I prefer elementary,
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I see reviewers calling it adult tv that's multi layered I think: so you didn't really understand it either.

Pretty patronising. Just because you don't understand it or like it you presume the people that do are kidding themselves.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

It was a great twist and the actor pulls it off superbly.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both very good (prefer Sherlock myself).

The U.S.A version for me is perfect to sit down and just switch off and enjoy some good acting and writting. Yes I was against a female Watson and more so when I heard who got the part but then again I was the same when they cast Watson in Sherlock. But both have worked out very well
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    :confused: Is there supposed to be sexual tension? I don't think that's their intention to portray it anyway.

No, but a lot of fans think it is there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally gave up on Sherlock after watching episode 1 of the new series. But that was really only out of loyalty having watched the previous series'. It's very King's New Clothes for me - when I see reviewers calling it adult tv that's multi layered I think: so you didn't really understand it either.

That really is fascinating. You see other people appreciating the depth they perceived in something but because you couldn't work it out and didn't even have the patience to *try* (watching the next two episodes means you'll have seen the full series and will finally be able to comment on it as a complete work) you just dismiss their opinions as nonsense ramblings from people who also didn't understand it.

So basically: you are the only person in the world that matters, and nobody is cleverer than you, therefore why do they lie and claim they are?

Brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Pretty patronising. Just because you don't understand it or like it you presume the people that do are kidding themselves.

Nailed it.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I wonder if people prefer one or the other. Anyone like both?

We do like both. But feel that the Serlock of Elementary is far more realistic, and slightly better acted. There is something distinctly abnormal about Johnny Lee Millar's interpretation, but in a way we can believe would be possible, and his character is strangely endearing. Benedict Cumberbatch, on the other hand, is so totally aloof and untouchable, his take on the character is much harder to empathise with, or believe in for that matter.

Martin freeman's Watson, is much better than Lucy Li's Watson, probably because he's a) a better actor, and b) a man. We can see why they chose her, and the twist intended does work to some extent. But, the fact reamins that Dr Watson was never supposed to be woman. So it's a bit like recasting Wonder Woman as a big hairy bloke!
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more, I thought it was silly, especially the way Moriarty was caught in the end. I actually thought it was a real low point and I almost didn't watch series 2 as a result. I also don't like what they've done to Lestrade or Mycroft.

I enjoy Elementary although I find JLM portraying Holmes as an overgrown toddler to be grating at times. The revelation of the series has been Lucy Liu as Watson. What was probably a gimmick has worked out very well. I prefer Sherlock though despite its shortcomings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of both shows but watching new episodes of each over New Year's, I felt like both shows ended up highlighting the weaknesses of each other rather than their strengths. Elementary needs higher stakes and bigger villians, I like the tone the series sets but it can feel pedestrian even compared to a dissapointing episode of Sherlock. Sherlock needs more time, more detective work. You watch one of their crime solving montages and I can't help but feel like I'm missing a better show. You get a character like Magnussen, played to perfection by Lars Mikkelsen and it's one and done in Sherlock, whilst Elementary would have gotten so much more mileage out of him.

On the plus side, I do think all four main actors are fantastic though and have the right performances for their Sherlock universe.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Elementary needs higher stakes and bigger villians...

No, I don't think it does, because it is not that kind of show, and its legitimacy (in other words, the reason it is NOT a "rip-off" of Sherlock like so many Sherlock fans foolishly insist) is that it is a true detective show with its feet much more firmly planted in the real world than the BBC's Sherlock. Moffat has now gone on record insisting that Sherlock is not a detective show, and he is right. A Sherlock episode is like a Batman film mixed with a screwball comedy. If The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler, or Catwoman showed up in Sherlock, scarcely anybody would blink an eye. Hell, Sherlock's crazed Moriarty practically fits right in with that lot. And I can absolutely enjoy such a novel take on the Sherlock Holmes mythos -- damn the purists. But Elementary is wisely not copying that approach.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a week to week basis, I think you're absolutely right, as I said I am a fan of the tone of the show. But every now and then I think it would be to the shows advantage to have a two parter like the first season's finale, where they introduced Adler/Moriarty, which felt like a much bigger story. And the first episode after New Year's had a big character return, so it was the perfect opportunity to have a similar tone but instead it felt too much like a normal case of the week.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am another fan of both shows, and as much as I love the their original premise of a consulting detective, I love them for their differing approaches too.

Martins Watson has always been played as an out of his depth innocent, while Elementary is showing Lucy as more of a Sherlock "in training". I also loved the way they played the Moriarty card in Elementary, and in Sherlock the way M "died" at the end of series 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Anyone like both?

I tried, i really did with the US incarnation but it's very much the ugly member of the family.

I actually like the casting of Lucy Liu as Watson & think she plays the role very well, JLM must have thought all his Christmases had come at once bagging this role.....

I think the writing is dumbed-down in comparison on the whole.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elementary's okay, but it's a generic American detective show - reminds me of Castle a bit. I like it, but it's not exceptional and doesn't really stand out.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch both and enjoy both very much.