The **** shaming of Moira in tonight's episodes...

thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I might be over reacting but I am fuming at some of the remarks from the majority of the key players during tonight's episodes, particularly a lot of male characters.

Furthermore, James did not receive nearly as much as the flack for a night that involved both of them.

Am I overreacting? Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it too. I'd understand if it was addressed on screen, but it just seemed to he accepted that Moira is a slag and should be seen in that way by the audience. That isn't on. :(
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, JoP.
  • DeputyGuttersonDeputyGutterson Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I might be over reacting but I am fuming at some of the remarks from the majority of the key players during tonight's episodes, particularly a lot of male characters.

Furthermore, James did not receive nearly as much as the flack for a night that involved both of them.

Am I overreacting? Does anyone else feel this way?

Way of the world. Women always get more blame. Men blame them and other women blame them too. Chas taking the high road about Moira not caring whether James was ok was ridiculous! Why should Moira give a f**k about James? And why should someone who tried to burn another person alive and did a hit 'n run judge someone else? I'll not touch Cain, because we all know what his past his like. Adam saying Moira didn't deserve him made me laugh out loud, and I like Cain and he and Moira together!
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not alone. TBH it really started yesterday with Adam talking to Moira in an appalling way. I seen the second episode first and that was too much now I'm half way through the first and it's breaking the camel's back, the conversation between Finn, Pete & Ross was just too much talking about their auntie like that "She's like putting it about, she gave me the once over, have you had her as well!?" PIGS!!!
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite amazing how she has been treated :(
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really disappointed in the writing.

We sussed out months ago that James would be Adams dad but to end the reveal like this is very disappointing.

I know it makes for good drama to have her lose everything but the way everyone spoke to her was disgusting.

Meanwhile, James Barton is pulling pints in the pub having had a telling off from his sons - double standards or what? >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Adam has treated his mother unforgivably. But mothers are soft things, and she will still love the unlovable.
    As for the Bartons: do they know the word Gratitude Who took them all in and looked after them when they were on their uppers?
    A most unpleasant couple of episodes.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the one thing that's made me angry about this entire storyline.

I find it so laughable and hypocritical at how they all point the finger at Moira - she should have taken that shotgun and shot the lot of them >:(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed in the writing.

We sussed out months ago that James would be Adams dad but to end the reveal like this is very disappointing.

I know it makes for good drama to have her lose everything but the way everyone spoke to her was disgusting.

Meanwhile, James Barton is pulling pints in the pub having had a telling off from his sons - double standards or what? >:(

and they seem to be 'ok' with seeing him tomorrow? While Moira is up on her farming crying her heart out, her husband and son walked away and her daughters knowing and probably never speaking to her again. It's not on at all! Media is a very power tool and the flip and black and white view that's being cast over Moira is deeply worrying.
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cain walked away because she lied to him after he asked her point blank if he knew all her history with James and I'm sorry but sleeping with your husbands brother is a pretty slaggy thing to do IMO.

that's said James Barton is an A Grade C*** for sleeping with his brother's wife also
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urggh...we live in a sexist, misogynistic culture/world so this should come as no surprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cain walked away because she lied to him after he asked her point blank if he knew all her history with James and I'm sorry but sleeping with your husbands brother is a pretty slaggy thing to do IMO.

that's said James Barton is an A Grade C*** for sleeping with his brother's wife also

so why hasn't he been shammed then? Oh that's right because he doesn't have a v*gina! I'm sorry I'm not mad at you and what you have said but it's completely one sided. That's my issue. James still has his family and his relationship with Chas but Moira lost it all? And again she's being judged by a village that made her an outcast only a couple of months ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJM91 wrote: »
    Urggh...we live in a sexist, misogynistic culture/world so this should come as no surprise.

Only we have the power to fix it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so why hasn't he been shammed then? Oh that's right because he doesn't have a v*gina! I'm sorry I'm not mad at you and what you have said but it's completely one sided. That's my issue. James still has his family and his relationship with Chas but Moira lost it all? And again she's being judged by a village that made her an outcast only a couple of months ago.

other than his boys who has James lie to? Chas knew, he told her remember, hopefully he will get some stick, I haven't seen the eps yet I have then to watch when I get home from work tomorrow morning so I may change my stance then.

Adam is hurt as in his eyes his whole life was a lie as the man he thought was his dad wasn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    other than his boys who has James lie to? Chas knew, he told her remember, hopefully he will get some stick, I haven't seen the eps yet I have then to watch when I get home from work tomorrow morning so I may change my stance then.

Adam is hurt as in his eyes his whole life was a lie as the man he thought was his dad wasn't

I will be interested to hear your opinion when you have seen the episodes.
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I think this Moira bashing episode was appallingly written.. it was one night stand 22 years ago... and even Moira wasn't sure who the father was... and I certainly wouldn't be explaining myself to a room full of people who weren't even born, when this occurred... how very dare they....

and Chas.. the most hypocritical bint in the dales.. steals her neices bloke.. bla bla the list is endless... she has the Brass beck to be calling anyone..

Sorry Emmerdale.. but this was poor writing...
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    I think this Moira bashing episode was appallingly written.. it was one night stand 22 years ago... and even Moira wasn't sure who the father was... and I certainly wouldn't be explaining myself to a room full of people who weren't even born, when this occurred... how very dare they....

and Chas.. the most hypocritical bint in the dales.. steals her neices bloke.. bla bla the list is endless... she has the Brass beck to be calling anyone..

Sorry Emmerdale.. but this was poor writing...

Totally agree. It is way too over the top. It was a one night stand years ago why the moralising against Moira - a disgrace.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see sexism on the internet every single day. This site is no different. Just about every female character has been called a slapper at one point. Sometimes, after sleeping with one man. Not to mention comments like "her legs are always open". Is that ok because we're talking about fictional females?

When a male character sleeps around, it's usually fine. Sometimes it's even joked about. Phelan cheats on his wife repeatedly and blackmails a woman into sleeping with him and he gets called a "sex God". Anna though, gets insulting sordid comment after comment. In ED, Katy is rarely mentioned without someone calling her a slapper or making a joke about her being on her knees. Not one male character gets that though.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what Cain would do to Moira if she cheated on him. After his behaviour tonight you have to wonder how far he'd take his revenge if she betrayed him like that >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree op, it was absolutely appalling. The writers should be ashamed of their misogyny, I was disgusted.
  • rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I perceived it as Moira getting the brunt of it because she's the character we care about - the more established character. They could spend loads of time slagging James off, but who would really care? He's barely been on screen five minutes. He's not really got off lightly, his sons aren't willing to speak to him properly, he got a punch off Adam and then whole gun drama, but the focus was more on Moira because the dialogue is supposed to sting as she's the character we're meant to care more about.

That being said, I think the storyline has been a bit meh, as they're potentially going to ruin Moira in the long term and the only way they could successfully get out of it now really is to determine that the DNA test was false.
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least she can take comfort in the fact that she has a year to get Cain to love her again because until then he can't get a divorce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Im furious that a mistake 23 years ago could destroy a family as much as it has! Whys Moria being punished by cain? Er what?? Wasnt he on his wedding night tempting fate with charity? Ohh I can not be bothered!! Im so annoyed at the lack of compassion for Moria! Sorry one night stand! Dont make it right but this much ppunishment?? Really??surely Cain should know you protect yours!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MegMog2014 wrote: »
    Im furious that a mistake 23 years ago could destroy a family as much as it has! Whys Moria being punished by cain? Er what?? Wasnt he on his wedding night tempting fate with charity? Ohh I can not be bothered!! Im so annoyed at the lack of compassion for Moria! Sorry one night stand! Dont make it right but this much ppunishment?? Really??surely Cain should know you protect yours!!

Cain asked Moira a few weeks back if he knew everything and she promised him he did he is angry because she lied to him
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James still has his family and his relationship with Chas but Moira lost it all? And again she's being judged by a village that made her an outcast only a couple of months ago.

I admit I haven't seen episode 2 yet from tonight :blush: ... but I was wondering if Moira's getting so much stick because of the lies she's told long term. James' marriage ended and he lost contact with his brother (even though John didn't know about the one night stand); whilst Moira carried on with her life despite knowing John wasn't the father and kept her husband and son in the dark for years.

James' on-going bad luck seems to be constantly referenced. The three sons don't really respect James already (and perhaps have their mother on a pedestal?) so now they know the real reason their mother left them and Moira's getting all of the blame.

Also, Moira tried to get rid of James by setting him up and she locked Chas in the cellar to scare her into not saying anything.

I do agree though that the writing of Moira has been totally hit and miss lately.

I too have a hard time sympathising with Cain considering ALL he's done in the past :p but I guess the emphasis is on the fact he asked her straight out to admit if anything had happened...