CNN removes British journalist Diana Magnay from Israel

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This seems really unjust to me, it seems some may not have even read what she tweeted & assumed she referred to Israeli scum or similar. She was broadcasting live as Israeli crowds had gathered to cheer the Gaza invasion on a hilltop above Sderot. She & her colleagues had been threatened and harassed by men on the hill, who threatened to destroy their car, after the live piece she tweeted referring to the 'scum' who had been harassing her. She has now been removed from Israel & reassigned to Russia, seems really heavy handed by CNN:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/cnn-removes-diana-magnay-from-gaza-after-tweet.html

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40dimagnayCNN&src=typd

this is what she tweeted

“Israelis on hill above Sderot cheer as bombs land on #gaza; threaten to ‘destroy our car if I say a word wrong’. Scum.”

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/489898511723679744/photo/1

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This shouldn't come as any sort of major suprise really.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That one little word made her tweet unprofessional and, more importantly, compromises the USA`s unfailing support of Israel which would be a bit of a disaster for CNN. They can't be seen to be taking sides, especially the side that isn't supported by their Government.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    That one little word made her tweet unprofessional...
    Really, what else should she have called people who threatened to destroy her car if she said the wrong thing? Unreasonable gentleman? Black hearted fellows?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who lived in Israel for a few years I absolutely love the country and fully agree with CNN's decision. That journalist clearly had no brain.

Russia is a more fitting place for her description.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Really, what else should she have called people who threatened to destroy her car if she said the wrong thing? Unreasonable gentleman? Black hearted fellows?

It was unprofessional for a journalist - period. Pugamo would seem to be speaking sense if you read the rest of his/her post though.
    Xela M wrote: »
    As someone who lived in Israel for a few years I absolutely love the country and fully agree with CNN's decision. That journalist clearly had no brain.

Russia is a more fitting place for her description.

Why, why and why to the bits in bold?

What do you think about Israels war crimes and killing of innocent children? :confused: Are you oblivious to it?
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

She could have called them whatever she felt like... In private. She was specifically sent to cover the situation between Israel and Palestine with an unjaundiced perspective by a news organization. Right or wrong, by publicly posting those statements on twitter she has compromised both her and CNN's integrity in being able to report on the conflict unbiasedly.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    She could have called them whatever she felt like... In private.
    So if she was directly threatened with rape, and she called the people who did so, say, bastards, do you think they would have removed her? What do you think the people threatening to destroy her car would have done after removing her means of leaving, do you think they would have stopped there? Do you not realise how afraid she would have been? I think CNN need to reconsider their decision here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of getting upset about a word, what about the fact crowds gathered to watch Gaza being flattened and cheered it on?

Quite a number make a big thing of claiming Palestinians do the same thing, though no invasion, heavy weaponry or trained army there. They claim Israel is above that sort of thing, that they care about the innocent folk and take care not to injure or kill them.

So what were they gathered to watch and cheer about then?
  • James_GrahamJames_Graham Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Obviously compromised her own position by showing bias.

A journalist must stay neutral.

It's no wonder Israel accuses the likes of the CNN and BBC when they have these types of reporters.

CNN has previously had to apologise for releasing anti-Israel propaganda as fact.

Back in 2006 they doctored photos to make the destruction by Israeli strikes appear worse than they were.

Very underhand, but shows the lengths to which people will go to vilify Israel on behalf of terrorists and left wing ideology.
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    They claim Israel is above that sort of thing, that they care about the innocent folk and take care not to injure or kill them.

If I lived in Sderot being bombarded for 13 years by 'palestinian' rockets day in and day out, with a life spent running from shelter to shelter, I'd be happy that the army was doing something about it too.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    If I lived in Sderot being bombarded for 13 years by 'palestinian' rockets day in and day out, with a life spent running from shelter to shelter, I'd be happy that the army was doing something about it too.

What would you feel if you'd lived in Palestine over the decades, where countless thousands have been slaughtered by the Middle Eastern superpower?

A superpower who constantly disobeys international law while at the same time desperately trying (and of course failing) to attain some sort of moral high ground?

We see on a daily basis the terrorism of Hamas vs. the state terrorism of a powerful country.

Zionism? Islamism? Both unacceptable extreme belief systems in today's modern world.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you feel if you'd lived in Palestine over the decades, where countless thousands have been slaughtered by the Middle Eastern superpower?

A superpower who constantly disobeys international law while at the same time desperately trying (and of course failing) to attain some sort of moral high ground?

We see on a daily basis the terrorism of Hamas vs. the state terrorism of a powerful country.

Zionism? Islamism? Both unacceptable extreme belief systems in today's modern world.

Well said, GGP.

Having used terrorism to seize land and set up their own state, it's a bit rich to condemn others who take to arms in order to achieve some sort of autonomy.
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Well said, GGP.

Having used terrorism to seize land and set up their own state, it's a bit rich to condemn others who take to arms in order to achieve some sort of autonomy.

How much terrorism did the Arab use to set up their states?

I wonder what the Berbers in North Africa make of the Arab invaders.

How many countries were born organically without conflict? not many I would imagine.

Still, it's one rule for everyone and another set of rules for the Jews ;-)
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much terrorism did the Arab use to set up their states?

I wonder what the Berbers in North Africa make of the Arab invaders.

How many countries were born organically without conflict? not many I would imagine.

Still, it's one rule for everyone and another set of rules for the Jews ;-)

and that's where your post lost any reason at all

They are Israelies, they do not represent all jews, indeed a sizable minority of jews are against Israel and its government's illegal terrorist activities
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why, why and why to the bits in bold?

What do you think about Israels war crimes and killing of innocent children? :confused: Are you oblivious to it?

I have lived in Israel when suicide bombs went off almost every week - on buses, in supermarkets, malls etc killing dozens of innocent children. After each such horrific incident, there were huge celebrations among the Palestinians.

It is absolutely shameful for the West who has no clue about what is going on in Israel to take a moral highground and treat the Israeli as the "criminals". It is not possible to negotiate with terrorists and the situation would have been different by now had the West not interfered for so many years forcing Israel to give up more and more of its territory to people who are hellbent on destroying it.

I love Israel because it is a gorgeous country with the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere and I would still be living there if not for the constant terror and harassment from Palestinians.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lived in Israel when suicide bombs went off almost every week - on buses, in supermarkets, malls etc killing dozens of innocent children. After each such horrific incident, there were huge celebrations among the Palestinians.

It is absolutely shameful for the West who has no clue about what is going on in Israel to take a moral highground and treat the Israeli as the "criminals". It is not possible to negotiate with terrorists and the situation would have been different by now had the West not interfered for so many years forcing Israel to give up more and more of its territory to people who are hellbent on destroying it.

I love Israel because it is a gorgeous country with the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere and I would still be living there if not for the constant terror and harassment from Palestinians.

I have no doubt that everything you have posted is true, but with regards to the journalist who has been removed she should have remained neutral and not made an inflammatory comment.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

What about the continual breaking of international law by Israel?

How do you justify that? Is that not a form of state terrorism?
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that everything you have posted is true, but with regards to the journalist who has been removed she should have remained neutral and not made an inflammatory comment.

Correct.

Which is why she was rightly removed.

Sadly the BBC doesn't have the same high standards and continues to employ the grotesque Jeremy Bowen despite being caught out numerous times for his anti-Israel bile, including leaked emails.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »

If her reporting had suffered I would agree - but in this case it was only a response to being hassled by a few idiots. CNN should have grown a pair and kept her in place.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct.

Which is why she was rightly removed.

Sadly the BBC doesn't have the same high standards and continues to employ the grotesque Jeremy Bowen despite being caught out numerous times for his anti-Israel bile, including leaked emails.

I feel exactly the same way about Jeremy Bowen.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, anyone who uses the word 'Scum' to describe a person or group, is someone I wouldn't listen to. It's usually Left-wing people who use it.
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way about Jeremy Bowen.

He is rather despicable. I switch off when he comes on and don't read his articles.
    RobMiles wrote: »
    For me, anyone who uses the word 'Scum' to describe a person or group, is someone I wouldn't listen to. It's usually Left-wing people who use it.

Correct.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not possible to negotiate with terrorists and the situation would have been different by now had the West not interfered for so many years forcing Israel to give up more and more of its territory to people who are hellbent on destroying it.

Ideally the West wouldn't have interfered in 1948 and Israel wouldn't have been created in the first place.

If only...
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Ideally the West wouldn't have interfered in 1948 and Israel wouldn't have been created in the first place.

If only...

Neither would 'palestine' - as it wasn't a country, but a region.

Of course, if the Europeans had not invaded Judea and destroyed the Jewish nation, we would never have heard of the fabricated entity called 'palestinians'.

If only...:)
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither would 'palestine' - as it wasn't a country, but a region.

Of course, if the Europeans had not invaded Judea and destroyed the Jewish nation, we would never have heard of the fabricated entity called 'palestinians'.

If only...:)

Hey, what's happened has happened.

The best we can hope for is mutually assured destruction so we can all get on with our lives.