Options

Time to stop hating Ben Elton? I feel sorry for him

2»

Comments

• Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton deserves all the vitriol he gets. Mark Steel sums him up pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eubSLL9v68
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In his prime when he was host of Saturday Live and The Man From Auntie I went to see him live. He did the famous "double seat" routine and it was like the Rolling Stones going into Brown Sugar, the audience went mental. He really was hugely popular at that time.

Some of his books were alright but they started to get a bitter, resentful tone when he realised he was out of favour. There's a bit in Inconceiveable when he goes on a rant about the popularity of authors like Irvine Welsh, it just made him look like a loudmouth malcontent, unable to celebrate anyone else's talent or success.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of his books were alright but they started to get a bitter, resentful tone when he realised he was out of favour. There's a bit in Inconceiveable when he goes on a rant about the popularity of authors like Irvine Welsh, it just made him look like a loudmouth malcontent, unable to celebrate anyone else's talent or success.

Was that Ben Elton as narrator having the rant-or was he putting the words into a character's mouth?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can hardly bear to wait until realwales gives us the benefit of his rabid right-wing opinions :D