LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I missed Clive's coverage as I've not been in long. Other bad news today included those three small children found dead and the suicide of their mother.

[QUOTE=MartinRosen;65400338]I was on the tube and heard a girl talking on the phone about a bomb in America. When I got off and back into the car, I heard Clive curtailed the legal hour to have some up-to-minute reports.[/QUOTE]

So, where did the pair of you go? :D
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ten laptop warriors,on this thread wont swing it chinnie !

It's not the winning it's the taking part. :p
  • tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    Vote for Nick Abbot for the Sony Golden Headphones Award:

Details here:

http://www.sonygoldenheadphones.com/vote/#.UWut1Mr3j4s :)

Steve Allen got in on the act this morning as people seem to be voting for him. He was his usual modest self saying he had no chance but if people wanted to vote for him then go ahead.

Wonder if Brian will want to be part of it given his total lack of nominations for Sony awards in recent years
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, where did the pair of you go? :D

I was with my wife. However, we did wonder who that little guy hanging around us was !
  • tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    9am - 1pm "Full coverage of the ceremonial funeral of Margaret Thatcher, with Nick Ferrari, Iain Dale and David Mellor."

No JOB or Livingstone!

That nice Mr Dale is getting in on everything these days, he certainly is not backwards in coming forward. He is everywhere. Must need the dosh.

Wonder if JOB is getting paid for losing his slot on Wednesday.

The schedule says the delightful JHB is the follow up to the funeral, can't wait!:rolleyes:
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve was surprised at being 'put up for an award' but having people vote in an open contest isn't the same as actually being nominated. I doubt if anybody from a local station will win, up against national presenters, but it would be interesting to see a list of the final figures.

The proper Sony awards I was pleased to see over looked him again. Perhaps if he said it was his last year they would give him a "life time got away with it" award.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic from J O'B this morning. Nobody is having to challenge his politics or ideologies but he still sounds aggressive when somebody offers an alternative view. I think it's become a mannerism, but he should try and cultivate a more reasonable response to people who aren't actually arguing with him.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic from J O'B this morning. Nobody is having to challenge his politics or ideologies but he still sounds aggressive when somebody offers an alternative view. .

Indeed . One would have hoped the 2 weeks on a Sri Lankan beach would have had a temporary chilling effect.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I forgot to post this yesterday, but JOB signed off with a little tribute to Chris Lowrie, who apparently celebrated 25 years with LBC yesterday.
    Forum Member
    Just switched on this morning. Caller making an excellent point as I type this - that whether you liked Mrs T or not, one thing is not in doubt: she was and remains a divisive figure. With that in mind, having this overblown & expensive funeral for her is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I forgot to post this yesterday, but JOB signed off with a little tribute to Chris Lowrie, who apparently celebrated 25 years with LBC yesterday.

I remember him taking time off a few years ago to donate one of his kidneys to his sister. Checked out my facts and found that his sister died from cancer last year, So sad but he'd given her an extra seven years of life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just switched on this morning. Caller making an excellent point as I type this - that whether you liked Mrs T or not, one thing is not in doubt: she was and remains a divisive figure. With that in mind, having this overblown & expensive funeral for her is wrong.

The arrangements have been in place for several years, with the approval of the two previous PMs.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic from J O'B this morning. Nobody is having to challenge his politics or ideologies but he still sounds aggressive when somebody offers an alternative view. I think it's become a mannerism, but he should try and cultivate a more reasonable response to people who aren't actually arguing with him.

Yes, I agree. It's a little childish, and I'd have thought that someone of his experience could deal with opposing views without resorting to "ya boo sucks" tactics. Ferrari is much better at the sarcastic put-down, which is both more effective and extremely funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm OK with the funeral bit, she was a long-serving Prime Minister (I'm not a Tory supporter), but like JO'B, I'm not at all happy about silencing Big Ben. It seems to me that Big Ben is the voice of the people - while you can hear the chimes, all's right with the world. The people should decide when Big Ben is silent, not a bunch of jumped-up public schoolboys who only represent themselves.

Sorry for rant, but it's a really symbolic thing for me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed . One would have hoped the 2 weeks on a Sri Lankan beach would have had a temporary chilling effect.

Nice for some. Shame we can't all afford it.
    Forum Member
    The arrangements have been in place for several years, with the approval of the two previous PMs.

Yes. Still wrong, though.
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. It's a little childish, and I'd have thought that someone of his experience could deal with opposing views without resorting to "ya boo sucks" tactics. Ferrari is much better at the sarcastic put-down, which is both more effective and extremely funny.

Now that's where I disagree with you. I don't find Ferrari very funny (most of the time), because of his rotten choice about when to use the sarcasm.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that in mind, having this overblown & expensive funeral for her is wrong.

10 Million in the grand scheme of things doesnt sound too bad ,especially bearing in mind some/all costs can be recouped with TV broadcast rights , funeral tourism etc ;Just hope the weather holds :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that's where I disagree with you. I don't find Ferrari very funny (most of the time), because of his rotten choice about when to use the sarcasm.

Oh, I'm not a Ferrari fan, I've said so many times, but I've always admired his technique, and just occasionally he does get it right. What puzzles me about JO'B is that this aggressiveness is quite recent, only over the past 2-3 months. Before that, he was a lot more laid back and accepting. Is it a new trick he's adopted, or something else? I remain to be enlightened!
    Forum Member
    10 Million in the grand scheme of things doesnt sound too bad ,especially bearing in mind some/all costs can be recouped with TV broadcast rights , funeral tourism etc ;Just hope the weather holds :)

It sound appalling to my ears. But then I work with people who are having their basic needs taken from underneath them. What they couldn't do with £10 million, just for a vanity project.
    Forum Member
    Oh, I'm not a Ferrari fan, I've said so many times, but I've always admired his technique, and just occasionally he does get it right. What puzzles me about JO'B is that this aggressiveness is quite recent, only over the past 2-3 months. Before that, he was a lot more laid back and accepting. Is it a new trick he's adopted, or something else? I remain to be enlightened!

Hi again

I can't disagree with the 'just occasionally' comment on NF. Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. ;)
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(
    I'm OK with the funeral bit, she was a long-serving Prime Minister (I'm not a Tory supporter), but like JO'B, I'm not at all happy about silencing Big Ben. It seems to me that Big Ben is the voice of the people - while you can hear the chimes, all's right with the world. The people should decide when Big Ben is silent, not a bunch of jumped-up public schoolboys who only represent themselves.

Sorry for rant, but it's a really symbolic thing for me!

No need for that, I totally agree with you. How right you are about Big Ben being the voice of the people, it's first chime on the stroke of midnight on 1 January fills me with every kind of emotion, signifies things past and things to come. Silencing it tomorrow is very wrong in my book.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    :(

No need for that, I totally agree with you. How right you are about Big Ben being the voice of the people, it's first chime on the stroke of midnight on 1 January fills me with every kind of emotion, signifies things past and things to come. Silencing it tomorrow is very wrong in my book.:(

This sounds a bit stupid, but I have a clock with a Westminster chime, which I normally switch off because in a small house, it can be annoying. I'm seriously wondering if I should switch it on tomorrow during the funeral, just to make my own protest!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member

Why is it wrong? There are those who agreed with her and even admired her, the same with any former Prime Minister, there were probably those who hated Churchill but he was still paraded around the streets for his full blown state funeral.

Thatcher was the first female prime minister and even if for that reason alone, she deserves recognition. Her family are contributing to the cost of the funeral so not all of it is coming out of the public's purse. I'm more worried about the amount that's going to be paid out for the extra policing that's going to be needed to deal with the brainless eejits who'll turn up just to cause trouble. They should have opened their mouths before she died and confronted their favoured political party to reverse the damage that she'd done. They didn't though, did they? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, JO'B's really going for the customers this morning. Like to see his response if someone got Social Services after him. Pharmacist was out of order, IMO. Since she clearly knew the woman's details, she should have contacted her doctor and asked about the child first. If JO'B can't see that viewpoint, he's just being stupidly obstructive.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is wrong because we are up to our ears in debt.
    If they are saying £10 million, you can be sure that the true cost will be £20 million.
    A private funeral with a memorial service later would have been fine, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.