I can't sing the musical to close on 10th May

Comments

• Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeEMl4t0kA

Am watching this and am absolutely cringing. So embarrassed for Nigel Harman, who deserves better. Hopefully he'll get a more credible role now this tripe is closing.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of Harry and have seen him live many times but I though his film - or at least what I managed to watch - was awful. The fact this is closing so soon will hurt him, but I think he'll survive - he's made his name on live shows and small screen comedy so I suspect he'll just go back to that.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Simon Cowell's endorsement of I Can't Sing might have proved to be the death knell to Harry Hill's musical.

This may be more bad news for Mr Cowell as his forthcoming The X-Factor show could be affected by more falling TV ratings because it looks like the GBP may have had enough of Mr Cowell & Cheryl Tweedy this time.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Christ, what a disaster. Even more of a flop than the Spice Girls shite.
    If forced to attend one of these, I'd have gone to I Can't Sing because the music was at least original. I can't stand jukebox musicals.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    If forced to attend one of these, I'd have gone to I Can't Sing because the music was at least original. I can't stand jukebox musicals.

I got a free ticket to the Spice Girls one, and it was every bit as dire as I imagined.

The problem that i Cant Sing had was that X Factor is now beyond parody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand jukebox musicals.

You and me both. They are nothing but a blight on the world of theatre and seem to attract mostly ignorant cretins who have no idea how to behave at one, based on numerous complaints from REAL theatre fans I've read.
  • GODDESSGODDESS Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Yeah, he's really good at YBF. He's really surreal if he's not reigned in. There was a series called Little Crackers on Sky which was on at Christmas time. They were short (around 15 minutes) comedy/drama films written by, and sometimes starring celebrities.
    The idea was that each celebrity picked something from their past and made a little, hopefully uplifting film. Harry Hill's was the worst as it was complete nonsense and was a made up biography.

i watched them all. Harry Hill's one was awful. John Bishop's one was the best., selling stuffed toys to pay for Christmas. I thought it was lovely.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahahahahhaha

Good
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe calling the musical "I can't sing" wasn't such a great idea.

The Peter Kay spoof was beyond perfection!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've never found Harry Hill that funny. I find him rather irritating in fact.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Godson absolutely love Harry Hill. He turned 9 a few weeks ago so that probably says a lot for where his fanbase lies
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Burp is great Saturday teatime telly ridiculing stuff - but HH works as a short TV show, not a musical or a film FFS.

Knew it was doomed when I read this on Popbitch before it opened:

>> Ex Factor <<
    I Can't Sing can't sell?

After the demise of the latest
    Lloyd-Webber musical, Stephen Ward,
    great things are expected of "The
    X Factor Musical", I Can't Sing.
    But behind the scenes it's not
    all good. Preview shows have
    been cancelled due to "technical
    issues". Or something. Ticket
    sales have been pretty awful.
    And have you noticed that the
    "X Factor" branding has quietly
    been removed from the posters
    and marketing?

Author Harry Hill's recent TV and
    big screen forays have flopped and
    Nigel Harman's disastrous National
    TV Awards taster hasn't helped.
    Rumours in the camp also suggest his
    relationship with co-producer
    Simon Cowell is a wee bit rocky,
    thanks to some kind of snubbed
    record deal years back.

Even musical behemoths like A
    Chorus Line and Wizard of Oz didn't
    manage to make it work at the
    Palladium, so when this goes tits up
    (and it may not that be long to wait),
    that might be it for the theatre
    and musicals, and it will return
    to year-round variety programming.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should try and American Psycho musical when it transfers all original songs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    My Godson absolutely love Harry Hill. He turned 9 a few weeks ago so that probably says a lot for where his fanbase lies

Clearly, because everyone who's a fan of Harry has the sense of humour of a child .. [/sarcasm]
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    You should try and American Psycho musical when it transfers all original songs
    It's on my list for when I can next afford a theatre trip to london. I saw Matilda and Book of Mormon last year and I'd go so far as to say Matilda is the best musical I've ever seen. Blew me away.

I know Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You get bums on seats and give jobs to performers (including a friend of mine!), but I'd rather just listen to a greatest hits compilation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly, because everyone who's a fan of Harry has the sense of humour of a child .. [/sarcasm]

I doubt Blondie was saying that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I saw the show on Friday and thought it was fabulous. Really silly and funny, and I laughed a lot as did the rest of the audience. I thought Nigel Harman was outstanding and hilarious (very very talented versatile actor), and the judges and Liam O'Deary were very funny!! They all got a standing ovation. I am so sad and disappointed for them, but not surprised as there were so many empty seats even though it was Friday. Obviously it isn't going to appeal to everyone with Harry Hill humour, but it deserved to last longer than this. What a shame, maybe a smaller theatre would have been the answer.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    You and me both. They are nothing but a blight on the world of theatre and seem to attract mostly ignorant cretins who have no idea how to behave at one, based on numerous complaints from REAL theatre fans I've read.

How does a REAL theatre fan behave?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Blondie was saying that.

Well if i've misinterpreted it then I apologise, but saying how much a 9 year old loves Harry Hill "says a lot for where his fanbase lies" certainly implies that Blondie is saying she feels Hill's humour only appeals to children.

But then, let's call them "discussions" on sense of humour will still be going on long after we're all dead and gone because plenty of people still can't accept that sense of humour is subjective.

Obviously, for clarity, I'm not saying you specifically Queen, or Blondie either. Just so we're clear ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The west end is a big highlight for tourists. I can't imagine many tourists wanting to sit through a parody of a British TV show, they wouldn't get it.

The other problem is that X Factor is aimed at the masses, whereas theatre dosen't apply to the masses because, sadly, it is too expensive these days.

To be honest, I am very surprised that Nigel Harman agreed to do it.
  • Kei&#333; LineKei&#333; Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It got good reviews across the board, the idea Cowell could influence all the critics is unbelievable. The word of mouth was also very good (as demonstrated on this thread).

However I guess the "fans" of the show aren't the ones to spend £100 to see a musical.
    At the moment doesn't seem anyone wants to see anything new anyway.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The west end is a big highlight for tourists. I can't imagine many tourists wanting to sit through a parody of a British TV show, they wouldn't get it.

The other problem is that X Factor is aimed at the masses, whereas theatre dosen't apply to the masses because, sadly, it is too expensive these days.

Count me out of that if i want to see rubbish i can watch my local dust cart.!

This show was written by mass "favourite"Harry Hill and sent the x factor up.

Simon Cowell said if it does not last longer then the spice girls show its flopped sad but true. I am suprised though that more of the so called fans did not want to buy tickets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    It got good reviews across the board, the idea Cowell could influence all the critics is unbelievable. The word of mouth was also very good (as demonstrated on this thread).

However I guess the "fans" of the show aren't the ones to spend £100 to see a musical.At the moment doesn't seem anyone wants to see anything new anyway.

True it makes me wonder what kind of demographic x factor fans come from in that case.:confused:
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But aren't shows like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Bodyguard, The Commitments, Mamma Mia etc aimed at 'the masses' and they're all doing very well indeed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    But aren't shows like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Bodyguard, The Commitments, Mamma Mia etc aimed at 'the masses' and they're all doing very well indeed?

Not to mention the Queen musical "we will rock you";-)