Options

1st August - Still no fireware Update!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
Forum Member
Here we go again, another month and still no sign of a firmware update. This is boadering on the ridiculous! I have a Humax 9200 which was upgraded several times to a much better and stable machine. This support was one of the main reasons I went for the HDR. However the functionanality of the HDR has gone backwards in some areas and hope the promised upgrade will sort them... but when o when will this be? Come on Humax, customer who sung your praises is loosing faith!

Woolfynorm:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Options
    goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why another thread on Humax slowness when others exist?:eek::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    goggled wrote: »
    Why another thread on Humax slowness when others exist?:eek::confused:

I guess it's showing how frustrating it is for some owners. We know the machine can be so much better, yet other than a few posts from Bob Cat on here, it seems it's been forgotten about by Humax. I haven't been recommending these machines for months now, and would move to a Freeview PVR if it wasn't for Freeview HD being around the corner. As said before, why haven't Humax released some bug-fix firmware releases already? I am still having to put up with a black screen when I start it up just because it is getting ready to, or is already, recording. User-friendliness in the UI is a joke.
    It's no wonder people are getting frustrated.
  • Options
    goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ wasteduthe

True maybe, but why do folk want to raise additional threads on something which is already well aired? It just isn't needed when the existing one is still active.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    True maybe, but why do folk want to raise additional threads on something which is already well aired? It just isn't needed when the existing one is still active.

I agree with what you are saying Goggled. I am just saying that I understand why it happens- because people are getting frustrated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    @ wasteduthe

Personally, I think it's a big enough issue to warrant multiple threads. In fact, the more the better.

People in the market for a Freesat PVR will be reading forums to get feedback on the equipment they are about to spend hard earned cash on. If all the posts were in a single thread, they could easily be missed by someone browsing the forum.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    Personally, I think it's a big enough issue to warrant multiple threads. In fact, the more the better.

People in the market for a Freesat PVR will be reading forums to get feedback on the equipment they are about to spend hard earned cash on. If all the posts were in a single thread, they could easily be missed by someone browsing the forum.

More threads isn't going to make them release the update any quicker.

As for people being put off by reading these threads, why would they be put off? The Humax is a perfectly good HDR as it stands, its just it could be better.

I've had 2 machines (due to a power supply failure on my 1st) and was one of the early adopters. In all the time since release, nearly a year, I've missed 3 recordings from memory and my box is in action several times a day with recordings and is on for probably 5 or 6 hours a day with watching tv. 3 missed recordings is 3 too many but still I can't complain overly as generally its a very good box and most people buying it will be satisfied. What it lacks at the moment is full functionality - ie non Freesat usability and epg, and there are some interface improvements that could be carried out to make it easier and more logical to use. Any bugs are minor and more of an inconvenience than a problem.

Incidentally on the being put off point as well, what other box are they going to adopt?

The Panasonic - should be undeniable quality but at £300 more expensive?

The Goodmans or Sagem, quality unknown at this point but I understand they usually produce boxes at the cheaper end of the market.

So at the moment I'm not sure the Humax has a direct mid market competitor to which people could turn anyway.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see any reason to rush out a "fireware" update. My box is fine.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sagem, I have heard one or two bad things (rightly or wrongly) about their Freeview boxes and the look of the Sagem doesn't exactly inspire me either.

The Sagem and Goodmans boxes look like they were designed by a child with some poorly constructed Lego.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    Don't see any reason to rush out a "fireware" update. My box is fine.
    At last a sensible post. My box has been fine. Why all the hysteria:confused: Most other STB manufacturers are no quicker with updates.

Patience is a virtue.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I 2nd that, my box is fine. What seems to be wrong?
  • Options
    CPNCPN Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a wind up right? :rolleyes:

You obviously don't "stress" or use your box enough if you have never had =any= problems at all... :(
  • Options
    jonnykidjonnykid Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I'm going to add another fine to the list. Nice to see a little balance. One lockup this weekend in 6months of use (4-6 hours a day). Lots of Freesat recording, dual recording etc. I don't stray off the path into non freesat though..

Still, looking forward to the firmware update, that stuff always excites me. Mental note, must get out more! :)

Lockup was caused after listening to BBC radio in radio mode all day whilst painting.
  • Options
    jonnykidjonnykid Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    On a shear speculation note, didn't bobcat say in his/her most recent update that release notes were with someone for approval/writing. Does this not mean that we are at least towards the back end of the process..?

PS, will try to stress my box tonight. A combination of verbal humiliation and vigorous exercise should do the trick. Maybe I'll leave it on for 10 days straight to see if tiredness gets it riled.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    CPNCPN Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonnykid wrote: »
    PS, will try to stress my box tonight. A combination of verbal humiliation and vigorous exercise should do the trick. Maybe I'll leave it on for 10 days straight to see if tiredness gets it riled.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    LOL! :D

...but you said it in your other message... no non-freesat use... thereby hangs the question... (use mine all the time to watch Channel 4 HD with a Diablo CAM and legit Sky Card...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so someone at Humax "promised" there would be an update by August, yeah? REALLY? Really..? No, they didn't did they.

Unless you've got a service level agreement with Humax for the regular release of firmware updates, you can complain here all you want, it doesn't matter a jot.

Be grateful that any of these companies offer free updates for their products after release.

Just because something can be udpated doesn't mean it will be. And frankly with all the whingers on this forum why would Humax bother? Bunch of ungrateful moaners :rolleyes:

My unit works fine, I've had a couple of issues but nothing major and at the end of the day it's just telly isn't it; not life or death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    partridge wrote: »

Just because something can be udpated doesn't mean it will be. And frankly with all the whingers on this forum why would Humax bother? Bunch of ungrateful moaners :rolleyes:

My unit works fine, I've had a couple of issues but nothing major and at the end of the day it's just telly isn't it; not life or death.

I am ungrateful, that's right, shock horror :eek::eek:- the machine cost near on £300 - and are some people here saying we shouldn't expect the right to firmware upgrades ironing out bugs in a timely fashion?

Few people are saying the box doesn't work reasonably well most of the time but there are signs all all over the Humax of the box being rushed out. I will be really fed up if an upgrade doesn't come quite soon.

Some people are obviously ecstatically happy with the recorder - good for them - but those of us with higher standards expect something better put together. Which btw a decent firmware upgrade will round off. Please get a move on Humax. :rolleyes:

.. also I thought bob_cat said the firmware would be available by the end of the summer but he couldn't promise anything - I read that as meaning by September 21st..

Patrick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPN wrote: »
    This is a wind up right? :rolleyes:

You obviously don't "stress" or use your box enough if you have never had =any= problems at all... :(
    I use my box a lot and as I have said before have never had a lock up in 6 months of use.

An upgrade will be here when or if its ready.

Humax are no worse than any other STB manufacturer;). Is that so hard to understand. Bt Vision anyone??:p
    Partridge ::And frankly with all the whingers on this forum why would Humax bother? Bunch of ungrateful moaners :rolleyes:
    Exactly:yawn:
  • Options
    Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member

Wait until you get your first power cut while you are away on holiday! Obviously, Korea never suffers from power cuts; how else do you explain the number of STB's released with that fault?

Geoff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    Wait until you get your first power cut while you are away on holiday! Obviously, Korea never suffers from power cuts; how else do you explain the number of STB's released with that fault?

Geoff
    Afraid your post makes no sense. Is it a bug that you have power cuts. Hardly Humax's fault.:confused:

Actually I looked up the old thread where power cuts were discussed. Nobody seems to have complained since. Seems most users aren't affected

I have had several power cuts and my box has never missed a recording.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    Afraid your post makes no sense. Is it a bug that you have power cuts. Hardly Humax's fault.:confused:

Actually I looked up the old thread where power cuts were discussed. Nobody seems to have complained since. Seems most users aren't affected

I have had several power cuts and my box has never missed a recording.
    jonesyboy,

You will know from my posts that I'm not a Humax basher, but this is a known bug.

The HDR, if in Standby at the point of a power cut, does not recover the clock time on restoration of power; it requires manually bringing out of standby to recover the time, so no recordings will be made as it has no clock to refer to.

If the box is ON at the time of the power cut, it will recover OK.

Other Humax stb's recover OK from Standby.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Les, the box should recover from a power cut by resetting. However, its is a minor bug. It doesn't stop the Humax being used on a day to day basis (unless you have a very poor power supply!).

A fix will be welcome but to be so essential that we absolutely can't wait a few extra weeks, I think not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Les, the box should recover from a power cut by resetting. However, its is a minor bug. It doesn't stop the Humax being used on a day to day basis (unless you have a very poor power supply!).

A fix will be welcome but to be so essential that we absolutely can't wait a few extra weeks, I think not.
    Yes, by saying it was a known bug, I was merely saying that the Humax engineers know about it, I was not commenting on its relative severity or priority.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    jonesyboy,

You will know from my posts that I'm not a Humax basher, but this is a known bug.

The HDR, if in Standby at the point of a power cut, does not recover the clock time on restoration of power; it requires manually bringing out of standby to recover the time, so no recordings will be made as it has no clock to refer to.

If the box is ON at the time of the power cut, it will recover OK.

Other Humax stb's recover OK from Standby.

Rgds.

Les.
    Les

Thanks for explaining that. I have ver 2003, is that affected in the same way.? I am reasonably sure my box was in Stand by the last time we had a power cut and it recovered by itself and recorded OK. The other time I know of it was ON.

If it happens again I will check.

What we do get are momentary blips in power. Some of our STB's are affected and lose the time, some are not.

I cannot recall recent complaints on power cuts, hence my comments.

I also am not a Humax basher. To be honest I get rather fed up with all the persistant bashing, when in essence the PVR is excellent. I honestly think most issues are more to do with the UI, which is "Different" but usable.

Pete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Yes, by saying it was a known bug, I was merely saying that the Humax engineers know about it, I was not commenting on its relative severity or priority.

Rgds.

Les.

Wasn't aimed at you Les. :) I was just commentating to those above who were saying about the Humax being unusable that this bug hardly rendered it as such. Its definitely in the minor category albeit one that should be addressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    Les

Thanks for explaining that. I have ver 2003, is that affected in the same way.? I am reasonably sure my box was in Stand by the last time we had a power cut and it recovered by itself and recorded OK. The other time I know of it was ON.

If it happens again I will check.

What we do get are momentary blips in power. Some of our STB's are affected and lose the time, some are not.

I cannot recall recent complaints on power cuts, hence my comments.

I also am not a Humax basher. To be honest I get rather fed up with all the persistant bashing, when in essence the PVR is excellent. I honestly think most issues are more to do with the UI, which is "Different" but usable.

Pete
    Pete,

I don't have firmware v 1.00.03, I'm on 02. I know Graham Thompson, and others tested this, and I'm pretty sure they are on 02 as well. Barry, over at Hummy.org also confirmed it, but I can't remember if that was before he got his second box which is on 03, or not. Bob has confirmed that 03 only contains an update process tweak, needed to be able to receive the next feature release OTA, so I would be surprised if this was "fixed" in 03, although you could test or monitor this.

Graham's test, I think, concluded that the HDR could survive about 25secs (the residual power left in the PSU capacitors), before succumbing to this.

Rgds.

Les.