Sky+HD box not working!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
Forum Member
Yesterday my sky+HD box stopped working. It won't switch on. I'm awaiting a repair by sky protection. I'm worried that I'm going to lose all my sky+ recordings. Anybody know if they could be saved?

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Yesterday my sky+HD box stopped working. It won't switch on. I'm awaiting a repair by sky protection. I'm worried that I'm going to lose all my sky+ recordings. Anybody know if they could be saved?
    Assuming it's a recent box, not an old Thomson, the easiest way to keep your recordings is to just transplant the old hard drive to the new box, assuming that it's not the drive that was faulty in the first place of course!
    They shouldn't take the old box away, but I don't know what the policy is with Sky Protect insurance replacements.
    That assumes that the drive in the new box isn't bigger than the drive in the old box, in which case it would be silly to put a smaller drive into the new box.
    :)
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the box has to be replaced then you have already lost all your recordings i'm afraid.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Assuming it's a recent box, not an old Thomson, the easiest way to keep your recordings is to just transplant the old drive to the new box, assuming that it's not the drive that was faulty in the first place of course!
    That assumes that the drive in the new box isn't bigger than the drive in the old box, in which case it would be silly to put a smaller drive into the new box.

it's not something that the engineer is likely to do though, and i'd expect the faulty box to be taken away by the engineer.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    it's not something that the engineer is likely to do though, and i'd expect the faulty box to be taken away by the engineer.
    I edited my post after I thought about that.
    They don't usually take old faulty boxes away, but the policy may be different if it's a Sky Protect insurance job.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I edited my post after I thought about that.
    They don't usually take old faulty boxes away, but the policy may be different if it's a Sky Protect insurance job.

They ALWAYS take old boxes away if they are replaced by a service call, even Sky do that, not sure why you think they don't?
    Forum Member
    They ALWAYS take old boxes away if they are replaced by a service call, even Sky do that, not sure why you think they don't?
    Ah, I'm probably thinking of upgrade replacements, not service replacements. If you buy a replacement box, the old one is still yours of course.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I'm probably thinking of upgrade replacements, not service replacements. If you buy a replacement box, the old one is still yours of course.

Indeed, upgrades you keep the box, service calls, you don't (otherwise you could just cripple your box - remove HDD power say - call Sky and get a free callout, or pay £65, get yourself a replacement box, and if you kept the old one, just reconnect HDD power and sell it - especially if you had a 1TB box)