Options

Free Malwarebytes

DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A couple of weeks ago the Malwarebytes, installed on my pc for a couple of years without problems, failed to remove the "Objects" that it had detected.

After three unsucessful attempts to get it to work, I gave up and uninstalled it. I then Googled Free Malwarebytes and clicked the DOWNLOAD button. The new version looked rather different to my previous version, and the name Malwarebytes also included the worfd Trial, but I felt sure I had installed the Free version.

Today, however, when I was about to do a scan, the Malwarebytes page informed me that this trial version was due to expire in two days time (so I had, stupidly, downloaded a trial version)....but, where did I go wrong, why didn't the so called free version turn out to be free? Which one of the various Google sites offering the free version for downloading, actually is the free version?
Hoping someone can help.

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    ...where did I go wrong...

One of the last notification boxes during the installation of the newer version of Malwarebytes includes a tickbox that is automatically ticked to turn your installation into a trial version of Malwarebytes Pro - you went wrong by not un-ticking it.

No magic Googling required, you just download from https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and make sure you read every box thrown at you during installation.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of weeks ago the Malwarebytes, installed on my pc for a couple of years without problems, failed to remove the "Objects" that it had detected.

After three unsucessful attempts to get it to work, I gave up and uninstalled it. I then Googled Free Malwarebytes and clicked the DOWNLOAD button. The new version looked rather different to my previous version, and the name Malwarebytes also included the worfd Trial, but I felt sure I had installed the Free version.

Today, however, when I was about to do a scan, the Malwarebytes page informed me that this trial version was due to expire in two days time (so I had, stupidly, downloaded a trial version)....but, where did I go wrong, why didn't the so called free version turn out to be free? Which one of the various Google sites offering the free version for downloading, actually is the free version?
    Hoping someone can help.
    The trial and the free version are one and the same animal. The only difference between them is on the very last screen of the program installation routine is a tick box saying something along the lines of "Enable trial of Premium" .

It is ticked by default and if you are not paying attention you get the trial instead of the free. Mind you I don't think it really matters as I suspect it just reverts to free anyway when the trial expires.

And always go to www.malwarebytes.org to download it. Then you are certain to get the real thing. Though be careful about this sneaky trial tick box.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Hoping someone can help.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Click the "Free Version Download" but when installing, make sure that you UNTICK the box that invites you to install the Premium version Free Trial.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Click the "Free Version Download" but when installing, make sure that you UNTICK the box that invites you to install the Premium version Free Trial.

Or you could download it from https://ninite.com/ - it's listed under Security - and all it will install is the free version with no 'Enable Premium version trial' box to untick.
    Ninite does it all for you just as it says it will do "Ninite installs apps for you in the background. No clicking next. We say NO to toolbars or other junk"
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will just run as the free version after trial expires won't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    It will just run as the free version after trial expires won't it?

Yes AFAIK although there may be nag-screens during the trial period and after it ends
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Or you could download it from https://ninite.com/ - it's listed under Security - and all it will install is the free version with no 'Enable Premium version trial' box to untick.
    Ninite does it all for you just as it says it will do "Ninite installs apps for you in the background. No clicking next. We say NO to toolbars or other junk"

TBH, I'm sure the ninite site is fine but with security software I would really advise against obtaining it from anywhere except the official site.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with installing the trial version, is that you get a big orange banner across the top of the screen saying that your trial has expired. A friend had this on her machine.

If you uninstall it & reinstall it again, you are not presented with the screen that allows you to untick the trial, so you are back to square 1 with the big orange banner again.

Was there a thread on here about how to overcome this memory effect?
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of Googling, I found the following.

To cleanly reinstall, it looks like you need to download & run their own uninstaller first:-

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/25291497-How-do-I-uninstall-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-

I didn't notice this myself, but this link says that you can end the trial from within the program:-

http://techdows.com/2014/03/revert-to-malwarebytes-free-from-trial.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    The problem with installing the trial version, is that you get a big orange banner across the top of the screen saying that your trial has expired. A friend had this on her machine.

If you uninstall it & reinstall it again, you are not presented with the screen that allows you to untick the trial, so you are back to square 1 with the big orange banner again.

I did a bit of research into this with the previous version. May or may not apply to the current version. The uninstaller leaves behind a number of files in various places, some of them in hidden folders.

As I recall there is a file left behind in either Users or Documents and Settings folder (depending on version of Windows) in a sub folder of the hidden user Local Settings\App Data folder that seems to be related to whether or not you get the "Enable free trial" tick box or not.

Basically if you trawl the computer for any Malwarebytes folder left behind and delete them all you should get rid of the offending file. There may also be some orphaned Registry entries which play a part in this as well that may need getting rid of. Usual caveats about mucking about in the registry without a guide dog apply :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a bit of Googling, I found the following.

To cleanly reinstall, it looks like you need to download & run their own uninstaller first:-

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/25291497-How-do-I-uninstall-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-

I didn't notice this myself, but this link says that you can end the trial from within the program:-

http://techdows.com/2014/03/revert-to-malwarebytes-free-from-trial.html
    I suspect the Malwarebytes tool does all the orphaned folder/registry entry clean up I was referring to above. It's also likely that a utility like Revo Uninstaller might do the same job if you had it already installed.

Don't think the previous version had the option to end the trial like the second link.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To help solve the problem of Users not paying attention to tick boxes when installing programs there is a useful small freeware program called "Unchecky" that once installed runs in the background and automatically unticks those boxes.

It's available here: http://unchecky.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    TBH, I'm sure the ninite site is fine but with security software I would really advise against obtaining it from anywhere except the official site.

To each his own but I've used it many times - and recommended to those that I know won't read installation options and wonder why they get toolbars etc.- with no problems at all.
    This site reckons it's safe and clean http://malwaretips.com/threads/ninite-com-is-a-safe-site.21814/.

It's certainly a great time saver especially after re-installs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading is close to godliness.

Malwarebytes doesn't trick anyone, the trial version can be ended without penalty. The new version is rubbish (2.0) the old one is better (1.75).

When it ends and we are forced to accept the new version, then I hope it is more mature than it is currently or we will be using another tool as the 'go-to'.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Agreed. Whilst you obviously don't have to read every word of the Terms and Conditions, you certainly can't just keep hitting the 'Next' key during an install.

The options are there; deselect them.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not rocket science. I know because i installed it myself last week.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download the free version of CCleaner and use the Tools section to uninstall the software. Then use its registry cleaner to see if any traces have been left behind. CCleaner only automates processes you already have on your computer, but it does make things a lot easier. It is also a damn good tool for keeping your PC free of clutter.

As with all free software, be aware of tickboxes for things like unwanted toolbars during setup.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know why there is a malawares and a malwares? No a in 2nd? Both have good reviews so why the two with such similar names?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    To help solve the problem of Users not paying attention to tick boxes when installing programs there is a useful small freeware program called "Unchecky" that once installed runs in the background and automatically unticks those boxes.

TH just downloaded much to the disgust of my virus scanner :o:D
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »

But then that's just another piece of software to trust to do something you really ought to be doing for yourself. And how does it know what to untick? I've seen cases where ticking a box was the right thing to do...
    shhftw wrote: »

Malwarebytes doesn't trick anyone, the trial version can be ended without penalty. The new version is rubbish (2.0) the old one is better (1.75).

When it ends and we are forced to accept the new version, then I hope it is more mature than it is currently or we will be using another tool as the 'go-to'.
    What do you think is wrong with the new version?

I'm not a regular user of any of these things, but I did try the new version when I was asked to sort out someone else's PC recently, and it all seemed fine to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Anyone know why there is a malawares and a malwares? No a in 2nd? Both have good reviews so why the two with such similar names?

Is this in anyway related to your thread about Trovi?

I don't know of any applications called either Malawares or Malwares. There is Malwarebytes, the subject of this thread. But also as far as I am aware nothing called Malawarebytes, except as a typo for Malwarebytes.

Though I wouldn't put it past some unscrupulous so and so to use the name Malawarebytes as a trojan to infect computers by designing a Malwarebytes look alike to fool the unwary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Is this in anyway related to your thread about Trovi?

I don't know of any applications called either Malawares or Malwares. There is Malwarebytes, the subject of this thread. But also as far as I am aware nothing called Malawarebytes, except as a typo for Malwarebytes.

Though I wouldn't put it past some unscrupulous so and so to use the name Malawarebytes as a trojan to infect computers by designing a Malwarebytes look alike to fool the unwary.

sorry I was being lazy and yes there is two one malawarebytes and the other malwarebytes. Perhaps you are right and one is a fake but both have what looks like genuine reviews. So today I shall download malwarebytes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    sorry I was being lazy and yes there is two one malawarebytes and the other malwarebytes. Perhaps you are right and one is a fake but both have what looks like genuine reviews. So today I shall download malwarebytes :D

Every reference I've found so far to Malawarebytes has been a typo for Malwarebytes. I am totally unable to find any software actually called Malawarebytes.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every reference I've found so far to Malawarebytes has been a typo for Malwarebytes. I am totally unable to find any software actually called Malawarebytes.

Exactly. On Cnet downloads a search for 'malawarebytes' gives you a link to FileAssassin.

Otherwise, a Google search just assumes you can't spell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes neither can I today? Unless am going nuts! I swear that is what I downloaded yesterday (and even read the reviews for both) which now explains why I was reinfected with trovi