Manic Street Preachers

2»

Comments

• misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    True fandom, there :)

I find disappearances fascinating. I know that he was legally announced dead a couple of years ago but I'd like to think that he's alive living somewhere. :)

I'm the same, I've always been fascinated by him and his disappearance (handed-down from my sister) and it's probably the local aspect that makes it even more interesting for me.

I know 1995 is a world away from what the media is like today and that probably plays its part, but I've always been very proud of the local community and any fans who make a visit to the town for the respect and support shown to the family - I, and I'd imagine most people living there, know where the family house is but in all this time I've never known them to face any bother or intrusion.

I remember the "legally dead" declaration a few years ago, his parents had been entitled to do it from about 2002 I think but held it for another 5 or 6 years, while saying it still doesn't mean they accept that he is dead. The other Manics still pay a quarter of their royalties for the songs he wrote and played on into a bank account for him too.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Even they admit that most of it was very weak and hasn't aged at all well. The Holy Bible is easily their best.

Are you saying that the band themselves consider their debut to be weak?

I think it's excellent, especially the proto-grunge-thrash of "Condemned To Rock 'n' Roll".

After that, it's all downhill for me I'm afraid. They've had a few moments, but none to match their debut.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I'm the same, I've always been fascinated by him and his disappearance (handed-down from my sister) and it's probably the local aspect that makes it even more interesting for me.

I know 1995 is a world away from what the media is like today and that probably plays its part, but I've always been very proud of the local community and any fans who make a visit to the town for the respect and support shown to the family - I, and I'd imagine most people living there, know where the family house is but in all this time I've never known them to face any bother or intrusion.

I remember the "legally dead" declaration a few years ago, his parents had been entitled to do it from about 2002 I think but held it for another 5 or 6 years, while saying it still doesn't mean they accept that he is dead. The other Manics still pay a quarter of their royalties for the songs he wrote and played on into a bank account for him too.

BIB - that's lovely to hear.

It doesn't surprise me that the family probably haven't accepted that he's dead, how could you when there is no evidence to support it? Special occasions must be difficult for his loved ones.

It's also lovely to hear that the Manics pay money into his account. I've seen a couple of interviews and it's clear to see that they really care about each other.