Imagine if America 'Re-imagined' Dr Who....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
Forum Member
Like many British shows before?

24 episode series, a flashy Tardis that looks like a corner newspaper stand or a phone box, an arrogant American doctor, a sonic ray gun instead of a screwdriver.....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    *shudders* no thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

24 episode series, a flashy Tardis that looks like a corner newspaper stand or a phone box, an arrogant American doctor, a sonic ray gun instead of a screwdriver.....

Or an Autralia Doctor - where the Doctor's a Flamin' Gallah, the Tardis is a Digeridoo, the Sonic is a Boomerange and the Companion is a Dingo?

How Bonza would THAT be?!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Let's not go there, eh?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    How about a Welsh Doctor Who? You know, where it's filmed in Wales, half the guest cast are Welsh, you could have all sorts of Welsh buildings standing in for space stations or whatever, have them coming back to Cardiff all the time to refuel and.. oh, wait.

Never mind. How about a spin-off series? It could be set in Wales, half the main cast would be Welsh...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Doctor Who set in a Brothel - and call it 'Doctor ****'.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a French Doctor for Doctor Who
    The tardis would be full of cheeses, the doctor would smell of garlic and he would have a general indifference to everything around him.

And if things didn't go his way, then he would strike.
    *any more racial slurs that we can get away with*
    **totally Joking**
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each week would feature the Doctor working alongside the FBI to catch alien murderers.
    It would also be cancelled after the first series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I suspect 'imagination' would have very little to do with it ;). America makes many great (and terrible!) shows of their own. Personally think it's 'British-ness' is Doctor Who's appeal in the States so they'll be wise enough not to try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    I suspect 'imagination' would have very little to do with it ;). America makes many great (and terrible!) shows of their own. Personally think it's 'British-ness' is Doctor Who's appeal in the States so they'll be wise enough not to try.

But why are 80% of them crime dramas? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why are 80% of those CSI?
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

To be fair he is a bit vain already.

And Joss Whedon could pull off something watchable.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    How about a posh doctor? It could be called Doctor Whom.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

Why is 80% of British TV reality competition shows? It's all because the general public are morons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Why is 80% of British TV reality competition shows? It's all because the general public are morons.

Good point.
  • hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member

We've more or less seen it, in the 'movie'. Loads of changes were made that the writer didn't even want, nevermind the rest of the nonsensical things in it.

And there would be Lots of snogging. Sorry, making out. :p
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    To be fair he is a bit vain already.

And Joss Whedon could pull off something watchable.

Kevin Smith would be better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a posh doctor? It could be called Doctor Whom.

LOL! :D
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sort of re-made Doctor Who for the US audience in 1996, with Paul McGann and the US setting.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Woah! Don't even go there! :mad: It would kill the British version of the show, plus Steven Moffatt and the UK fans would be angry.

My parents don't approve of the idea of an American re-make. In fact they hate the idea that DW could be Americanised at all.

I second that. STRONGLY! I'm a huge fan of both the 'Classic' and 'new' versions of DW, and I don't want DW to be tampered with by Americans and ruined. You know what the US people are like. They get the idea for a re-make of a British show, and they ruin it.

Like The Office: An American Workplace for instance. I tried a few years ago to watch series 1 or season 1 as they say in the US, but after three episodes, I gave up. Utter rubbish!

The Ricky Gervais version is so much better. In fact, a million times better. It's funnier and has a better cast, with Martin Freeman, Lucy Davis and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America cannot reproduce British shows end of discussion: Faulty Towers, Monty Python, The Office (which has already been listed) and many others I can't even think of off the top of my head! And the you tube video just completely shows exactly why that is brilliantly! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member

Where do you get that figure from?.

Whilst waiting on clarification, some other info.

There are marked signs of improvement here in Drama production post recession and viewing figures for Drama continue to improve. We've always maintained a higher percentile of viewers watching drama than the USA. The US audience for Drama collapsed in 2010.

A higher percentage of Americans watch some form of reality tv than the UK audience. Who, as indicated above, have a broader palate.

In short. Our audience may be dumb... but your programme makers are dumber...

Bring on an American Doctor - I want Chuck Norris.

Scrap the TARDIS - give him a helicopter gunship instead.

Ditch series companions in favour of a new bird every week.

Some chick playing a highly intelligent, independent woman like a Doctor/nuclear physicist/journalistic or something - clad in scanty clothing - and blessed with good looks. With a personal vendetta against that episodes villain. It probably killed her old man or something...
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I think it was called: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey.

And most excellent it was too.

Party on, Dudes.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America cannot reproduce British shows end of discussion: Faulty Towers, Monty Python, The Office (which has already been listed) and many others I can't even think of off the top of my head! And the you tube video just completely shows exactly why that is brilliantly! :D

Add Being Human to that list. Although, to be fair, it has changed from a straight copy and gone its own way and is doing OK. I don't watch it as I cannot stand Sam Witwer.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all have it wrong!

The Daleks would be Gangstas or Rappers

The Cybermen would be into S&M

And the Tardis would of been on Pimp my ride!:eek:

:cool::p:rolleyes: