USB Drive for Samsung Smart TV

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have failed with this so far trying to use a flash drive in my tv to attempt recording programmes on it but i always get a message on the lines of the speed of the usb isn't fast enough to record on it from the tv.

Any recommendations to what device that will work?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    An HDD in a USB caddy.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An HDD in a USB caddy.

I did that but the trouble is the hard drive is always running.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which model is the tv?
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Which model is the tv?

UE46ES6300
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I have a Samsung 6 series Smart TV and have connected a 320GB portable hard drive. Mine comes on with the TV but remains dormant unless eg I pause live TV. When you say the drive is running can you actually hear it and feel it vibrate? When my drive is dormant I can change the TV channel and that's it but when the drive is active I get an extra info box after a few seconds to say it is live TV.

I also have a Patriot XT 16GB USB drive similar to that linked to by koantemplation but mine was rejected by the TV as too slow when I tried it just out of interest. It seems to be hit and miss as to whether these type of drives work with TVs, not that you can store much on a 32GB drive anyway and I would recommend buying a portable drive like this one which will work for sure and it's cheaper than the XT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-Portable-External-Backup-Software/dp/B004NJ1VMA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    UE46ES6300
    I have a different model, but use a 500GB portable hard drive which works fine.
    On page 61 or so of your manual it says:
    "To use the Schedule Recording, follow these steps:
    for LED 4500, 5400 Series : This function is not
    supported.(Digital channels only)
    Allows you to make a reservation to record a programme scheduled for broadcast.Set the current time first to use this function.
    1.Select Schedule Manager. The Schedule Manager screen will be displayed.
    2.Select a using your remote. A pop up screen will appear.
    3.Select the Schedule Recording.
    We recommend using a USB HDD with at least 5,400 rpm, but a USB HDD of RAID type is not supported. More than 2TB USB HDD is not supported. A USB storage device cannot record until it completes the Device Performance Test.

USB memory stick is not compatible. "

You can get a portable drive for around £40-50
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    You can get a portable drive for around £40-50

You can get a PVR for £69, okay an HD one is considerably more.

Why do people want to record direct off the TV? They obviously have a good reason for it but it's not obvious to me what that is, what have I missed?
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I use a 4gb Kingston usb stick on my es6300.

Gives me a few hours recording time. Handy when recording a channel on freesat as my pvr is freeview only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    You can get a PVR for £69, okay an HD one is considerably more.

Why do people want to record direct off the TV? They obviously have a good reason for it but it's not obvious to me what that is, what have I missed?
    In my case already had a sd pvr, so no point replacing it.
    I can record an HD programme and also timeslip it.