Should Capaldi Stay or Go with Moffat?

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Interesting that it doesn't seem that Capaldi has anything else lined up during Doctor Who's hiatus yet:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-27/peter-capaldi-is-preparing-to-film-doctor-who-series-10-ill-be-getting-into-training

Make of it what you will but personally I think the decision as to whether Capaldi stays or goes will be very much Chibnalls and if left to Capaldi he would happily continue playing the Doctor.
    I would imagine the decision would be more in the past tense.

Every doctor and companion usually knows of there casting months before the public does, and RTD talks in the writers tale about Moffat already having agreed to take over as showrunner for series 5 during series 4, two years earlier.

That being the case I would strongly guess that Chibnall has known he was taking over for some months, and would most likely have already talked to Capaldi about whether he wants to keep him on. It's just way to early to go public with that sort of information yet either way.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see the majority who voted wanted PC to stay.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think capaldi should go at the end of series 10 along with moffatt, then chibnall can start with a new doctor,new companion and make a fresh start like RTD did when the series first started and like the moff did d when he took over
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what the story line is. If Moffat could give PC a great exit why not ?.
    By then he would have done 3 full series and 3 christmas specials.

Think a two parter would be great part one Christmas day 2017 part two New Years day 2018.
    Bring back some old baddies and maybe some old companions/doctors.
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what the story line is. If Moffat could give PC a great exit why not ?.
    By then he would have done 3 full series and 3 christmas specials.

Think a two parter would be great part one Christmas day 2017 part two New Years day 2018.
    Bring back some old baddies and maybe some old companions/doctors.

Like David Tennant?
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    I think capaldi should go at the end of series 10 along with moffatt, then chibnall can start with a new doctor,new companion and make a fresh start like RTD did when the series first started and like the moff did d when he took over

Moffat wanted DT for another yr,
  • John_GatesheadJohn_Gateshead Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    He should definitely stay. He's a great actor, but the scripts Steven Moffat has given him have been a huge disappointment to me: not a patch on the ones he wrote himself in the RTD era. Hopefully Mr Chibnall can do better.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost certain he will go, four years and three series seems to be the New Series norm, but I do want him to stay.

I'm expecting a 2010 style Series 11. New Doctor, new companion, new everything.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    He will leave. I can't shake off the feeling.

Chibnall's era will be a complete rebirth for the show.
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Moffat wanted DT for another yr,

I think it was best DT left, imagine series 5 with David instead of Matt I can't picture it, only Matt could pull it off really. Besides if he stayed on he would never leave, plus the 09' specials were a nice setup for his exit with the whole Timelord Victorious/Vale Decem/I'm Going to die/Regenerate/Final Battle thing.

So I think it'd be nice if Chinballs got a new doctor.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely going. 3 year rule.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely going. 3 year rule.

There is no three year rule.

It's more of a coincidence that Matt Smith had four years and three seasons like Tennant, as they wanted Smith to stay on for Series 8.
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    There is no three year rule.

It's more of a coincidence that Matt Smith had four years and three seasons like Tennant, as they wanted Smith to stay on for Series 8.

Exactly. This mythological 'three year rule' where people seem to imagine that either actors decide to go or that show runners decide that it is time for them to go just on the basis that 2 of the 4 new who doctors stayed a similar amount of time is a fair bit silly.

As if Capaldi would say 'well I really want to stay on, and they really want me to but, unfortunately unwritten who law says I have reached the limit I am allowed'. If he goes the decision will be nothing to do with the duration spent in the role by any past doctors.

I would also point out that the '3 year rule' people stipulate based on Tennant and Smith isn't even a thing anyway. They both have a different episode count if you go on that, and if you go on chronological years they spent being the 'current doctor' then again it's different. People just round up at a passing glance and class them as having the same amount of time when actually it isn't the case.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hartnell, Troughton, Davison, McCoy, Tennant and Smith all did three series (admittedly not all by their own choice), and only 2/11 Doctors in 52 years have done a full fourth series and beyond.

There is no actually rule obviously, but statistically I fully expect to be adding Capaldi to that list of three series Doctors next year. I think he'll come to the conclusion that leaving with Moffat is the natural jumping off point. If he doesn't - yay.
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I think Peter Capaldi should stay as long as he wants to. David Tennant might well have stayed for season 5, there's no rule set in stone that the lead actor has to change with the showrunner. I think it's down to the individuals and what they decide, but having seen everything change after season 4 I would be interested to see them go for a bit more continuity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. This mythological 'three year rule' where people seem to imagine that either actors decide to go or that show runners decide that it is time for them to go just on the basis that 2 of the 4 new who doctors stayed a similar amount of time is a fair bit silly.

As if Capaldi would say 'well I really want to stay on, and they really want me to but, unfortunately unwritten who law says I have reached the limit I am allowed'. If he goes the decision will be nothing to do with the duration spent in the role by any past doctors.

I would also point out that the '3 year rule' people stipulate based on Tennant and Smith isn't even a thing anyway. They both have a different episode count if you go on that, and if you go on chronological years they spent being the 'current doctor' then again it's different. People just round up at a passing glance and class them as having the same amount of time when actually it isn't the case.

It's supposed to be a rule set by Patrick Troughton as the generally advised amount of years somebody should play the Doctor, but Pertwee, Baker, Tennant and Smith have all played the role longer than that, and Capaldi will soon follow, while Colin Baker had every intention of trying to stay on as long as possible and Sylvester McCoy intended to stay in the role had the show not been cancelled, I believe. As far as I can tell, Peter Davison is the only one who purposefully followed that rule.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    People call it a "rule" as a verbal shorthand for what (they think) "usually happens". It's not a rule like, say, the rule that says a person can serve as US president a maximum of two terms.

If anything, it would more properly be called a "norm" but as already pointed out it's not even "what usually happens".

There are reasons why the casting tends to change at roughly that interval, but it's not a hard-and-fast "rule".
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think changing everything might be in the show's best interests overall to be honest. Chibnall should go for a total rebirth, let everything be brand new and generate more excitement for the show. I can also see the BBC wanting that approach as well.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Hasn't Peter already stated that if he is asked he will stay on and hasn't Chibnall stated that he wants Peter to stay on ?
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Hasn't Peter already stated that if he is asked he will stay on and hasn't Chibnall stated that he wants Peter to stay on ?
    Which all sounds very well meaning, but if they were both indeed certain on their views then that would mean he was staying for certain and there would be confirmation of such.

I take all such comments with a pinch of salt until someone officially confirms his staying/leaving one way or the other.

What I will say is that with Chibnall's first series presumably due in spring of 2018 and therefore needing to be filmed in the later half on next year, then if Capaldi was leaving, not only would it likely be known by all parties involved, but I'd guess they'd be at least auditioning for doctor 13 now, if they haven't already picked one. (think of every recent Doctor/companion saying all the many months they had to keep the secret after being cast)

That being the case, I'm not saying I could even guess either way for sure whether he will stay or leave, but only that if he was leaving, then it would make sense why they wouldn't have announced anything yet, as they would want to leave it as late as possible to the start of series 10 to use the information as an advertising boost to get people to watch at the time. If he were staying however then it would be pretty run of the mill 'business as usual' type news and therefore there would be no reason not to just say it now.

That is why, the lack of confirmation, to me at least, suggests he's more likely to be leaving than staying.

I at least feel pretty certain based on the past that Capaldi and Chibnall both know either way by now.
  • theundertaker25theundertaker25 Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    He should stay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-doesnt-think-hell-be-writing-capaldis-regeneration-80876.htm

Moffat possibly hinting Capaldi will stay on as the Doctor after he leaves as showrunner. Of course, if Capaldi does leave with this series, it could be that Chibnall is writing the regeneration like Moffat did when RTD left, although I'm hoping for the former. :P
    Forum Member
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-doesnt-think-hell-be-writing-capaldis-regeneration-80876.htm

Moffat possibly hinting Capaldi will stay on as the Doctor after he leaves as showrunner. Of course, if Capaldi does leave with this series, it could be that Chibnall is writing the regeneration like Moffat did when RTD left, although I'm hoping for the former. :P

Suggestive that Capaldi will stay when taken on it's own for sure, but at the same time, if I were Moffat, knowing that I was writing Capaldi's regeneration but that it was not to be revealed yet, that's what I think i'd be saying to the press also.

He would have had to have written all his series 10 episodes by now, so would know and be able to say for certain if Capaldi was still the doctor by the end of series 10 if he wanted (which of course rightly so he wouldn't want to), and I'm certain the inner circle of the highest up people working on the show will know by now whether Capaldi is indeed staying or leaving.

As such I can only draw two possible conclusions from his comments if they were true - either he knows Capaldi isn't leaving, or he knows that he is leaving but that Chibnall is writing the regeneration story for Christmas 2017 .

I'd agree that if Capaldi was leaving at some point in 2017, it would seem strange that Moffat would not be writing his exit, but I'd also say that Moffat happily lies and misdirects the press often when protecting secrets of the show (which is good) so I don't really take any stock in these might/maybe/think/don't think type stories anyway.

Also, Moffat didn't write Tennants regeneration. He only wrote the part of Smith immediately after the regeneration. If Moffat and Chibnall did the same, that would still be Moffat writing Capaldi's regeneration.
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If Peter stays this hardly fills me with hope for the show a personal point of view. I've been struggling with it ever since Peter came into the role. Now I know this is only anecdotal, but people I used to discuss the show with now don't talk about it as much, if at all, since Capaldi came into the role.

The only time lately we've talked about the show was us moaning about it at present. We're kinding of wishing and hoping for a new Doctor with a new head honcho. It just needs to be a clean slate in my opinion.

As it's been said though, Moffat does like to mislead, so he's probably written it already, hasn't he?! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggestive that Capaldi will stay when taken on it's own for sure, but at the same time, if I were Moffat, knowing that I was writing Capaldi's regeneration but that it was not to be revealed yet, that's what I think i'd be saying to the press also.

He would have had to have written all his series 10 episodes by now, so would know and be able to say for certain if Capaldi was still the doctor by the end of series 10 if he wanted (which of course rightly so he wouldn't want to), and I'm certain the inner circle of the highest up people working on the show will know by now whether Capaldi is indeed staying or leaving.

As such I can only draw two possible conclusions from his comments if they were true - either he knows Capaldi isn't leaving, or he knows that he is leaving but that Chibnall is writing the regeneration story for Christmas 2017 .

I'd agree that if Capaldi was leaving at some point in 2017, it would seem strange that Moffat would not be writing his exit, but I'd also say that Moffat happily lies and misdirects the press often when protecting secrets of the show (which is good) so I don't really take any stock in these might/maybe/think/don't think type stories anyway.

Also, Moffat didn't write Tennants regeneration. He only wrote the part of Smith immediately after the regeneration. If Moffat and Chibnall did the same, that would still be Moffat writing Capaldi's regeneration.

Hasn't it already been confirmed that Moffat is writing the 2017 Christmas special?

I worded the regeneration part badly: I know the "I don't want to go" scene was RTD's part.