BBC Shop UK Closing Down

sarge99sarge99 Posts: 473
Forum Member
extract from email received today
We are writing to inform you of important changes to our website.

BBCShop.com UK will cease trading from midnight on 29th March 2016.
Last order dates will vary depending on where you wish your order to be delivered.

Rest of World - 5pm 14th March 2016
Europe - 5pm 21st March 2016
UK - midnight 29th March 2016

You will still be able to cancel or return damaged items as long as we receive the item in our warehouse by 29th April 2016, see our Cancellation and Refund policy for more information.

Comments

• Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY! They already took BBC Three from us!
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know they had a shop.

Though maybe that's why it's being taken down. :P
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More small steps being made to dismantle the BBC.... such a shame, hope people are happy when all their TV is watered down Murdoch like commercial rubbish... just hope more Netflix like companies are made that will make some good stuff away from the broadcasters, we'll have to pay more for it but that's the price we pay....
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    More small steps being made to dismantle the BBC.... such a shame, hope people are happy when all their TV is watered down Murdoch like commercial rubbish... just hope more Netflix like companies are made that will make some good stuff away from the broadcasters, we'll have to pay more for it but that's the price we pay....

It is the BBC shop that is closing and nothing to do with the commissioning of programming.

You can still buy BBC DVDs, Blu Rays and merchandise from the usual Internet outlets.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the BBC shop that is closing and nothing to do with the commissioning of programming.

You can still buy BBC DVDs, Blu Rays and merchandise from the usual Internet outlets.

But its still chipping away at things the BBC does, significant or otherwise, its all about slowly reducing what the BBC does so they become less influential and more weaker to the point where the bias who are against the BBC can call for a full dismantle...
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oh BBC Shop and not BBC Store. I was worried then.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But its still chipping away at things the BBC does, significant or otherwise, its all about slowly reducing what the BBC does so they become less influential and more weaker to the point where the bias who are against the BBC can call for a full dismantle...

This has got nothing to do with charter renewal or the government.

The BBC Shop is a completely commercial operation run by BBC Worldwide, whose entire remit is to return money to the BBC to supplement the licence fee. If something they do fails to make money, or fails to return enough in proportion to the investment made, then it's future existence is entirely at the discretion of BBC Worldwide. If they decide to close it down then you can assume that there's a sound financial reason for doing so.
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    The BBC shop has had a lot of offers recently, 25% off plus free postage is a good deal.

Presumably those sorts of offers mean that it'snot making any money!
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Business will likely transfer to BBC Store.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I've had the impression the new store is downloads only. No physical media. Is that right?
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Business will likely transfer to BBC Store.

My guess as well.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame! :(

Bought series 1 and series 2 of the Nicholas Lyndhurst/Celia Imrie comedy After You've Gone off eBay three weeks ago. On that particular listing it said 'BBC Shop'.

So basically, I bought the DVDs, and eBay goes through BBC Shop and then posts the DVDs to me within 48 hours of ordering. Unless I buy them on a Saturday or Sunday, in which case they will be posted on the next available week day.

I guess soon, there will no longer be a BBC Shop at eBay either.

:(
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I've had the impression the new store is downloads only. No physical media. Is that right?

That's what I've read recently, too. Don't know how true it is, though.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, more likely, BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm who operate BBC Shop, and who are tasked with selling BBC programming and maximising profits) has decided that such a venture is no longer profitable (considering the size & buying power of other online retailers such as Amazon and Base), and that it makes commercial sense to exit that market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    That's what I've read recently, too. Don't know how true it is, though.
    It is streaming and download only.
  • sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It is streaming and download only.

Great news - NOT. Don't know how my 0.6Mbs internet will cope! Better start downloading Series 10 now.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »

Yes and so far viewable on phones and tablets. I've not been able to watch it on television. When I tried it on my television browser,all I get was a black screen and the audio track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbeck201 wrote: »
    Great news - NOT. Don't know how my 0.6Mbs internet will cope! Better start downloading Series 10 now.

Why? It's bound to be released on DVD and Blu-ray, and available from online stores such as Amazon, and probably from Tescos and Sainsburys too.

No-one has said that future BBC programmes won't be released on those formats, just that the BBC won't be selling those formats via their own online website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and so far viewable on phones and tablets. I've not been able to watch it on television. When I tried it on my television browser,all I get was a black screen and the audio track.
    Chromecast support (within iPlayer) is supposedly coming.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,272
    Forum Member
    Some really good bargains on the site right now, if people are interested.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Why? It's bound to be released on DVD and Blu-ray, and available from online stores such as Amazon, and probably from Tescos and Sainsburys too.

No-one has said that future BBC programmes won't be released on those formats, just that the BBC won't be selling those formats via their own online website.

I hope you're right. I enjoy having the physical media which gives me the content in the highest quality form available, flexibilty and a sense of permanent ownership.

I still buy CDs, and then rip them losslessly myself into my NAS for personal use. I hated it when a couple of so-called "bonus" tracks on the recent DW soundtracks were only available by purchasing them from iTunes. They're the only downloads I've ever purchased (and I don't do piracy). You can't buy them in a lossless format.

As for video, I have a couple of the streaming services, and I use catch up services like iPlayer on my Sky box, but the PQ is variable at best, sometimes interrupted, even when you have a decent broadband connection.

For me, Blu Ray (4K already here for some titles) is best.

The only reason for the move to downloads and streaming is that it's cheaper and less vulnerable to piracy than making and distributing physical media.
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member

Ooh, yes thanks. Oh dear, I sense another Classic DVD purchase coming up :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Series 8 blu Ray less than 16 Euro is pretty darn good.

Have to see if it's worth while buying some things once shipping is taken into account.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got some nice bits and bibs from the BBC Shop. A shame it's going, as I visit the website from time to time and get some stuff via there from Ebay too.
  • sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious. I would buy them on Blu-Ray as long as they continue to make make them.

Just a bit fed up of the continual move to downloads/streaming when some of us see no prospect of improved download speeds.