BBC Confirms Top Gear USA Has Been Cancelled

Comments

• Brian The DogBrian The Dog Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    "We are fully committed to the hugely successful Top Gear brand - known all over the world "

"Icebergs? I see no icebergs!" - Captain RMS Titanic.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Loved the two (?) series that they showed over here on BBC Three.

The three presenters really work well together (much like C/H/M do) and its probably now a better watch than the Chris Evans version of Top Gear.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sad loss - couldn't get into american "humour", or their "woo hoo" atmosphere.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had absolutely no idea that the programme even existed.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    No sad loss - couldn't get into american "humour", or their "woo hoo" atmosphere.

Neither can we.

Good riddance.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ll be sad to see it end, if the BBC can’t find a new US broadcaster that is.
    I’ve said it countless times on these forums, but I was the success it was because it wasn’t simply an American version of the British version (no Clarkson, Hammond and May knock offs – they were their own characters). It would have also done well on Dave as an alternative to the endless reruns of the original version, but by guess is that the BBC didn’t make it available to UK broadcasters so as not to take attention (good or bad) away from the original.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame they stopped showing it in the UK. It was actually a pretty good watch and I would have liked to have seen more of it.
  • Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

I didn't.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't this be in the US TV forum?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame they stopped showing it in the UK. It was actually a pretty good watch and I would have liked to have seen more of it.

And it got better as the years went on too. I think BBC Three only aired the first couple of series. After that it dropped the studio bits and reviews, with each episode just being just one long challenge or road trip (like the Christmas specials of the original version) – which would probably appeal more to the Clarkson, Hammond and May fans than the current UK version.

Most people didn’t, and I think the BBC wanted to keep it that way. Apart from a brief run on BBC Three it’s not be on any UK channel, despite having 6 series and 70+ episodes produced. As I’ve said, I suspect the BBC didn’t make it available to the UK market so as not to take any focus off the original version. It would have been a perfect fit for Dave.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw bits on BBC 3 I assumed it had been cancelled a while ago. You live and learn.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Neither can we.

Good riddance.

Good riddance to a show that wasn't even broadcast over here so you would intentionally have to search out ways to view it?
    :confused:
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this be in the US TV forum?

Exactly.
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest episode with them in Cuba was very good. Very much reminded me of a CHM episode.