Watch Dogs 2 Announced

Comments

• Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reviews are in and they're mixed.
    I think the problem with Ubisoft is that they don't realise we live in a post Witcher 3 world. That checklist, fake video gamey playground world feels dated now.
    They're eternally stuck in 2009.
  • sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with Ubisoft is that they don't realise we live in a post Witcher 3 world. That checklist, fake video gamey playground world feels dated now.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? Why are you mentioning The Witcher 3?

Reviews are mixed because the online part of the game is somewhat broken and currently offline so many feel they can't give a full review because of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparky07 wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean by this? Why are you mentioning The Witcher 3?

Reviews are mixed because the online part of the game is somewhat broken and currently offline so many feel they can't give a full review because of this.

You need to read all the details in between and not just the glaring online issue. Frequent complaints are poor story and characters, clunky combat, weird driving.

Regarding Witcher 3 , I feel my post was rather self explanatory.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed? They are all pretty positive from what I have read.
  • Wayne321Wayne321 Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to find the enthusiasm to buy this game but I just cant at the minute. The world seems empty and bland and the story doesn't seem interesting. San Francisco as a city looks great though. I'm feeling kind of torn on whether to buy it, especially as i'm playing Dishonored 2 and Final Fantasy XV is out in 2 weeks.
  • WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably get this game when it's cheaper, I've just bought Skyrim, I still need to complete Mafia 3, I'm getting into Battlefield 1, hardly touched Forza Horizon 3 and Bioshock Collection since getting them on release and I have The Last Guardian on pre order, so don't feel I need to buy another game.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree but you've got to be kidding with The Witcher comparison, surely? The game is massively 'checklist' heavy, particularly for an RPG - compare it to the likes of Skyrim or Fallout and it has far more in common with a Ubisoft title than either of them in terms of structure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got this yet? Is there much to do? Is it fun? Worth the price? Argh, I cant decide if I should get it. P.S. I do think im addicted to the feeling of buying a new game (expensive habit)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne321 wrote: »
    Anyone got this yet? Is there much to do? Is it fun? Worth the price? Argh, I cant decide if I should get it. P.S. I do think im addicted to the feeling of buying a new game (expensive habit)
    I'm kinda the same, I love coming home to find a new game waiting for me but I don't necessarily play them for long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I'm kinda the same, I love coming home to find a new game waiting for me but I don't necessarily play them for long.

I'm EXACTLY the same! I hardly ever finish games, a fact which I get teased about by my friends quite a lot. I honestly think im addicted to the feeling of playing something new - but lose interest pretty quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne321 wrote: »
    I'm EXACTLY the same! I hardly ever finish games, a fact which I get teased about by my friends quite a lot. I honestly think im addicted to the feeling of playing something new - but lose interest pretty quickly.
    I finish a game if I really enjoy it, like Uncharted 4. But I think that's the only game I've completed this year :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I agree but you've got to be kidding with The Witcher comparison, surely? The game is massively 'checklist' heavy, particularly for an RPG - compare it to the likes of Skyrim or Fallout and it has far more in common with a Ubisoft title than either of them in terms of structure.

Yes, but the way that checklist builds up is very different. Games like Witcher 3, GTA V , Red Dead Redemption, Fallout and Skyrim have something fundamental in common: your missions are a result of discovery and exploration. Your journal /quest list /mission objectives fill up as you explore the world and meet new people. Your map is virtually empty at the start because your character would not know these events are there. A world that doesn't know you're the player and continues to function with or without your involvement feels more real.

You can meet your contract person or you can meet the person they're after randomly whilst on horseback one day before ever knowing there was a contract to find them and the game doesn't care whether or not the latter doesn't get you a reward because it has no obligation to bend its world to your needs. There will be missions that some players will never do because they don't even know they're there - the fact that you can purchase a game with 100s of hours of content and yet there's still so much of its world you're not aware of is amazing.

Ubisoft games of late feel like a world created especially for the player, like a playground. Their maps are cluttered with repetitive objectives and collectibles from the moment you open it telling you where ALL the points of interest so there's no discovery. You are the centre of attention at all the times, every event is breathlessly waiting for your arrival so it can start. It works for a game like Infamous: Second Son because there's no fat as you're constantly perfecting your skills. Whereas Ubisoft games have you grinding, doing the same chores over and over again to get to the things you want to do. From observing various Watchdog 2 videos they seem to have continued with this lazy formula and I think people are finally getting tired of it.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might get it a few months down the line when it's cheaper and actually works properly, other games have higher priority at the moment though.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting this for my Christmas. It was only £36.99 (Pre-order price at Smyths). I did think Watch Dogs Had potential so I am hoping Ubisoft build on this, plus I miss assassin's creed.

Right now, still mopping up stuff in Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting this, enjoyed the first one so more of the same should be a good start.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Initial impressions are: it's only okay and not a must-buy at this point. That could go up when I play more of the story, but so far I've mostly been goofing around in the world.

Visuals are definitely better than Watchdogs 1 although I noticed a few models and graphics have literally been ripped straight out of the first game.

The controls unfortunately are much more annoying and will take some getting used to. They've over complicated it for no good reason IMO.

Not overly impressed then so far and for online to not be functional at launch is poor form.

Hope it gets better.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gets easier to control. Except when you are sitting on a forklift or scissor lift, i keep driving off instead of jumping off! It has some great missions, the world feels quite alive and messing about is fun. I quite enjoy causing absolute chaos at a junction by hacking the traffic lights and then the cars etc. The ambulance drivers are maniacs and cause more chaos than they help! It's a reasonable fun game. Some of the climbing puzzles are annoying.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a green pixel line that comes and goes down right of their screen on the ps4 version I do and find it very distracting.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Does anyone have a green pixel line that comes and goes down right of their screen on the ps4 version I do and find it very distracting.

Don't want to scare you but that could mean there is something wrong with your PS4, normally in my experience it points to the GPU dying. I would test few different games make sure its just isolated issues and maybe try another gadget on TV to rule out your TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Initial impressions are: it's only okay and not a must-buy at this point. That could go up when I play more of the story, but so far I've mostly been goofing around in the world.

Visuals are definitely better than Watchdogs 1 although I noticed a few models and graphics have literally been ripped straight out of the first game.

The controls unfortunately are much more annoying and will take some getting used to. They've over complicated it for no good reason IMO.

Not overly impressed then so far and for online to not be functional at launch is poor form.

Hope it gets better.

Completely agree. Not too far into the game yet but it's average at best. I wish I would have waited for the price to drop. It is really boring so far and i'm finding it hard to stay interested.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Don't want to scare you but that could mean there is something wrong with your PS4, normally in my experience it points to the GPU dying. I would test few different games make sure its just isolated issues and maybe try another gadget on TV to rule out your TV.

It's thankfully just this game.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm liking this game more than any other AAA release this year. I didn't get into the first game in the series, but this one I am enjoying a lot more. I wasn't going to buy it, but I watched a live stream of of the first Hour(Streamed by One_shot_gurl ) and that was enough to persuade me to buy. Haven't regretted it yet.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comments coming from the consoles are putting me off a little, I'm hoping for a bit more this time around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread oops
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After initial enthusiasm for this game I've decided against it, reviews seem quite good but it's not what I'm hearing from the gamers. Seems to follow Mafia 3 with repetitive missions but better visuals (the visuals been the reason for the better review scores no doubt:()

Yet another game out the window, the industry is getting worse