Tony Pulis set to leave Stoke City

1235»

Comments

• djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stoke are probably doomed with this appointment, as like with Steve McClaren his bad reputation means that teams struggle to trust him
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Stoke are probably doomed with this appointment, as like with Steve McClaren his bad reputation means that teams struggle to trust him

Hughes will spend as much as he can before the season starts, they will struggle in the bottom 5 or 6 until XMas then he will resign leaving Stoke in a similar situation as QPR. Hughes stubborn belief in his methods will always be his downfall.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,294
    Forum Member
    If nothing else he'll be out to repair his reputation which might be a good thing for Stoke...otherwise both the club and Hughes himself will be in trouble.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Stoke are finished. Will be relegated within three years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stoke are finished. Will be relegated within three years.

They may have been anyway with Pulis at the helm.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    This is excellent news for QPR fans as Harry Redknapp now has someone who will actually want to buy the players he needs to get rid of.

I doubt it. Why would Hughes want to sign the players that performed so abysmally for him and cost him his job?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    There's a picture currently doing rounds on the usual suspects
    About a guys one man protest against Hughes
    But then again when you have been responsible for relegating
    3 premier league clubs or as good as you can understand their feelings
    Poor stoke

Which 3 clubs were they?
  • law10law10 Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why they have got rid of Pulis for Hughes. No point swapping one long-ball merchant who's crap in the transfer market for another.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hughes will fit in at Stoke.
    • He shouldn't be allowed to spend much money - that's fine, as Stoke haven't got that much
    • He likes a physical, workman-like style - again, fine, the players are already there to accommodate that
    • He can't cope with prima donnas. No problem, not too many of those at the Britannia

Hughes' tactics are a little more refined than Pulis's, as well as not being as blatantly cynical, so may placate the Stoke fans who were fed up with the stick Stoke took under Pulis's reign.

However, it's a gamble. Like Charlton under Curbishley, itching for a change can sometimes de-stabilise things and lead to disaster.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I'll say one thing to Stoke Fans....

Charlton Athletic

My thoughts exactly.

Even though I don't like Pulis' style of football, it is effective and has kept Stoke in the premier league for many a year. Lesser managers on their resources would have seen them relegated.

This seems like change for change sake.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a feeling they might actually do quite well.
    Pulis was brilliant for them but things were getting stale and a change was good for both parties.

Hughes knows there will be nowhere left for him to go as a top level manager if he screws this opportunity up so I expect him to hit the ground running and have a decent season.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Hughes will fit in at Stoke.
    • He shouldn't be allowed to spend much money - that's fine, as Stoke haven't got that much
    • He likes a physical, workman-like style - again, fine, the players are already there to accommodate that
    • He can't cope with prima donnas. No problem, not too many of those at the Britannia

Hughes' tactics are a little more refined than Pulis's, as well as not being as blatantly cynical, so may placate the Stoke fans who were fed up with the stick Stoke took under Pulis's reign.

However, it's a gamble. Like Charlton under Curbishley, itching for a change can sometimes de-stabilise things and lead to disaster.

Stoke are one of the highest spending teams in the league over the last 5 years.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Stoke are one of the highest spending teams in the league over the last 5 years.

Meh statistics.

They just have **** all worth selling!! :D
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Meh statistics.

They just have **** all worth selling!! :D

I wish they'd appointed Martinez. Would have loved to see his first training session with Shawcross and Walters.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd appointed Martinez. Would have loved to see his first training session with Shawcross and Walters.

Its the irony of the "we are going down a different road" concept. Good luck with that boys!
    Forum Member
    Ironically though Wigan could have done with a Shawcross type defender!
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

14th in wages. Wage bill is a far more accurate reflection of spending.
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hughes will do OK

Wonder how many of the current squad will leave. Are there any players there that other Premier League clubs would want ?

All I can think of are Begovic and Crouch

He also has to sort out any ramifications of the 'practical joke' involving Jones
    Forum Member
    14th in wages. Wage bill is a far more accurate reflection of spending.

I know it is. I was answering a point saying they didn't have much money to spend.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given Stoke are now safe and heading for their highest PL position I wonder how many people want to come back and eat a bit of humble pie?
    Forum Member
    Given Stoke are now safe and heading for their highest PL position I wonder how many people want to come back and eat a bit of humble pie?

I'm pretty amazed how well he's doing to be fair, mostly because I wasn't convinced about him as a manager.
    Forum Member
    He's certainly got Crouch and Peter Odemwingie playing well together and kept up the strong home form.

Fair play to Hughes.