Options

BBC News "Black Culture"

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a single shred of evidence to support to claim that Father Christmas is from the Middle East?

haha! Errm- I wasnt talking about Father Christmas but heck, thats 21st century Christmas for you!:D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #OMG this thread is such a FAIL. OP you sir/madam are an idiot. :cool:
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I got the impression most of the ITV weather presenters arent meteorologists... I think the phwoooaaarrr factor has a bigger part in casting over there!;)

As ITV have been mentioned, I can have a moan about a white person getting a job I didn't think they were good at?
    Donald MacIntyre on London Tonight, although he's gone now, just a poor presenter IMO.

As I don't know the presenter the OP's on about, it means nothing to me.
    Sounds rather like an agenda at work here, so I'm off.
  • Options
    Caligula75Caligula75 Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Christmas is the season when we celebrate the life of a dark skinned foreigner (Middle eastern no less!) of a different religion..... must be a bitch to some!;)

Really?? I was under the impression little baby Jesus was a white cherubic blue eyed bundle of joy ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So you'd rather go back to the days when newsreader and weather presenter spoke with an RP accent??
    If it doesn't matter what ethnicity someone is why would it matter what accent they had?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caligula75 wrote: »
    Really?? I was under the impression little baby Jesus was a white cherubic blue eyed bundle of joy ;)
    The character of Jesus is remarkably changeable. In Byzantine art he's portrayed as a Roman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is having a black weather person classed as 'black culture'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As ITV have been mentioned, I can have a moan about a white person getting a job I didn't think they were good at?
    Donald MacIntyre on London Tonight, although he's gone now, just a poor presenter IMO.

As I don't know the presenter the OP's on about, it means nothing to me.
    Sounds rather like an agenda at work here, so I'm off.

Maybe they were filling their Oirishness quota.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    Some will say the BBC are just getting "with the times" or trying to be more "politically correct" with their standardisation of Black/Ethnic Presenters, but lets face it. Race aside, they simply cannot do the job they are paid to do. Eno Eruotor of Northwest Tonight especially, who is supposedly a trained Meteorologist. Yet presents herself in a way that has nothing to do with the weather at all.

Would people prefer the BBC to be getting these presenters from the "ghettos" simply to fill the racial equality checklist, who have absolutely no idea about the job in-hand. Or a person from a more Educated upbringing (dare i say it a White person) who has actual education, and fluential English. Setting the BBC Flagship standards once more.
    Evidently some people are afraid to discuss race. But imo this is more about the media.

The only undeniably capable people are the technical guys behind the scenes, as they're the only ones who've got there on merit after acquiring qualifications. Everyone else is there because they're someone's mate or a member of some fashionable group. These groups are self-perpetuating I think, so you end up with disproportionate representation of various kinds, for example the high number of Cambridge grads at the BBC, and there are other groups. It has nothing to do with race to suggest that in the opinion of the people who matter hiring black people is probably considered cool. If I was black and working in the media I wouldn't feel offended or patronised, or no more than the average. It's a system of patronage all the way down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    How is having a black weather person classed as 'black culture'?

Good luck with that.
    On the basis of that OP I'm not expecting anything but shining a light in dark corners you'd wish had remained cloaked in darkness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    Maybe they were filling their Oirishness quota.

Well anyone who is poor at their job (I someones opinion) on TV seems to be part of quota of some sort, apparently...

Started badly, OP hasn't come back, hobby horses been ridden around the thread willy nilly.

Back to Boardwalk Empire for me.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    ....the majority of new newsreaders and weather presenters have been minorities ....
    Huh? :confused: There's that Lizo bloke that does the showbiz. I can't even think of any other black presenters they have, never mind any other "minorities". So what the heck are you on about?:confused:
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Huh? :confused: There's that Lizo bloke that does the showbiz. I can't even think of any other black presenters they have, never mind any other "minorities". So what the heck are you on about?:confused:

[URL="hthttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/04/raceintheuk.bbctp://"]hthttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/04/raceintheuk.bbctp://[/URL]

"She said the BBC was aiming for 12.5 per cent ethnic minority employees in the workforce and 7 per cent in senior management by December 2007."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-519808/BBC-spends-750-000-coaching-ethnic-minority-staff-despite-axing-1-800-jobs-save-money.html

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2010/06/03/55805/bbc-training-scheme-gives-almost-half-of-places-to-minority-candidates.html

I said most of the new newsreaders and weatherman/ women on the BBC have been minorites for at least the last 5 years.

The Weatherman on BBC East Midlands used to play Lenny on Eastenders and the weathergirl on Midlands Today was brought in by the Multi-Cultural Programmes Unit so despite the "black culture" nonsense may still have a point.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Some will say the BBC are just getting "with the times" or trying to be more "politically correct" with their standardisation of Black/Ethnic Presenters, but lets face it. Race aside, they simply cannot do the job they are paid to do. Eno Eruotor of Northwest Tonight especially, who is supposedly a trained Meteorologist. Yet presents herself in a way that has nothing to do with the weather at all.

Would people prefer the BBC to be getting these presenters from the "ghettos" simply to fill the racial equality checklist, who have absolutely no idea about the job in-hand. Or a person from a more Educated upbringing (dare i say it a White person) who has actual education, and fluential English. Setting the BBC Flagship standards once more.

*facepalm* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted. (Misread post)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    lol - in before the edit :) To be fair I did spell actual incorrectly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted. (Misread post)

Linky, as the OP isn't coming back can we move on from that now.
    Edit: in after the edit :)

I think we can ignore the Black Culture thing too.
    Oh Eno Eruotor referenced in the OP in action and again.
    Someone on Youtube with a 'thing' for satin.
    There's something 'off' about her presentation, but I can understand her, I think there's a midlands twang in there somewhere though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Linky, as the OP isn't coming back can we move on from that now.
    Edit: in after the edit :)

I know I misread the post (only reading the line I bolded) and assumed he meant that it existed with the definition the OP attached to it, I then read the full post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a disgusting and uninformed post :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caligula75 wrote: »
    If he's a trained Meteorologist isn't he educated?

I find your use of the word 'ghettos' - implying that anyone who is not white must live in a ghetto - quite offensive.

But hey - Tis the season to be jolly so you have yourself a Merry Christmas and try to put aside your racial prejudices until at least the New Year.

i dont find it offensive at all.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael777 wrote: »
    What a disgusting and uninformed post :rolleyes:

nothing wrong with the post.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    [URL="hthttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/04/raceintheuk.bbctp://"]hthttp://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/04/raceintheuk.bbctp://[/URL]

"She said the BBC was aiming for 12.5 per cent ethnic minority employees in the workforce and 7 per cent in senior management by December 2007."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-519808/BBC-spends-750-000-coaching-ethnic-minority-staff-despite-axing-1-800-jobs-save-money.html

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2010/06/03/55805/bbc-training-scheme-gives-almost-half-of-places-to-minority-candidates.html

I said most of the new newsreaders and weatherman/ women on the BBC have been minorites for at least the last 5 years.

The Weatherman on BBC East Midlands used to play Lenny on Eastenders and the weathergirl on Midlands Today was brought in by the Multi-Cultural Programmes Unit so despite the "black culture" nonsense may still have a point.

Des Coleman used to play Lenny on Eastenders and he is a television presenter (East Midlands Today, Inside Out East Midlands) as well as weatherman.

I don't see anything amiss about a former actor becoming a television presenter. Ulrika Johnsson was a weathergirl at TV-AM and she wasn't a meteorologist.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red_outlaw wrote: »
    'Positive discrimination' is such a hypocritical agenda. Discrimination can never be 'positive'. Candidates should always be assessed purely on their ability and not on the colour of their skin.

What are you talking about?
    Of course it can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i dont find it offensive at all.
    nothing wrong with the post.

Up to your usual level of intelligent discussion I see or as someone else put it on another thread linky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    calathea wrote: »
    Couldn't give toss what colour the person that tells me what's been going on in the world or how much snow is coming down tommorrow, and cannot understand why anyone does..

The amount of snow we've had, only a black person would stand out. We might think no-one was on the TV at all otherwise.