Options

Which Linux distributions have you tried?

124»

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never going to use Ubuntu as a serious OS - it was just something to play with. the fact is there is a driver BUT command line is still needed according to the Ubuntu forum. I could do it but I just can't be bothered. I think things this shows that for most people Linux is going to be no go area which is a shame as it has many things to be commended.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I think things this shows that for most people Linux is going to be no go area which is a shame as it has many things to be commended.

I think you'll find most people won't be buying the same hardware as you. I've tried ubuntu and other linux distro's on many laptops and desktops, all without problems, perhaps this too could be the experience for most people.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    So, if I'm going to consider a new partition with a Linux distro installed, is it Ubunto or Mint?

I'd be looking for the best Linux OS for automatic installation of various hardware drivers and an interface most resembling Windows.

I know, I could just download, burn and install, but I'd like feedback from forum users.

Thanks.
  • Options
    chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    So, if I'm going to consider a new partition with a Linux distro installed, is it Ubunto or Mint?

I'd be looking for the best Linux OS for automatic installation of various hardware drivers and an interface most resembling Windows.

I know, I could just download, burn and install, but I'd like feedback from forum users.

Thanks.

PClinuxOS is a good all round choice or driver support, and is good for someone coming from widows as it has a similar interface.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote for PCLinuxOS as well.

It recognised all my hardware right out of the box, on any computer I flung it at.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never going to use Ubuntu as a serious OS - it was just something to play with. the fact is there is a driver BUT command line is still needed according to the Ubuntu forum. I could do it but I just can't be bothered. I think things this shows that for most people Linux is going to be no go area which is a shame as it has many things to be commended.

There may be a way to do it in the GUI but giving instructions to issue command line prompts is a lot easier.

I do suspect though you have a machine that isn't designed to work out the box with Ubuntu and these kind people on the Ubuntu forum are offering a work around for this. Linux is great like that it often offers a way to do something that you is at best unlikely.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Thanks.

Mint! I never got on with PCOSLinux although clearly others do.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiggs wrote: »
    There may be a way to do it in the GUI but giving instructions to issue command line prompts is a lot easier.

Your average clueless PC user is not going to be fixing their computer by typing into a command line, they'd take one look at the instructions, never mind the actual terminal itself and run, screaming, away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your average clueless PC user is not going to be fixing their computer by typing into a command line, they'd take one look at the instructions, never mind the actual terminal itself and run, screaming, away.

We're talking hobbiests here not average users. Your average clueless computer user won't even attempt to install an operating system onto a computer that didn't have it already particularly without assistance of a techie.

There's plenty of GUI orientated documentation for people who have fully supported hardware, if you're trying to do something unsupported on any operating the command line is your friend even on Windows.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so theyd rather fix their computer by typing codes into the registry?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Finally got round to swapping hard discs on my laptops and my old Fujitsu Lifebook ended up with a wopping 60 gb. So I also took the opportunity to install Ubuntu 10.10 as a dual boot with XP. Yes it does seem fast and I am quite impressed. However, and I may be wrong about this, the laptop has a N dongle to connect to wifi and the only way it seems I can configre it is command line. Well I'm sorry but I do enjoy rooting phones and installing new roms on them but I not going to start messing round with command lines just to get something 'normal' to happen. I will keep Ubuntu there and use it wired as I sometimes need Linux for moding Android stuff but really this is 2011 and this should not be.

Hi finbaar, I think you should take a look at this link to maybe help you with your frustration - Linux is NOT Windows
  • Options
    rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not tried any in a while
    i used PCBSD That seemed ok
    and wouldn't mind trying Jolicloud
    and wish there was a fully working free Xandros
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Mint! I never got on with PCOSLinux although clearly others do.
    jgj wrote: »
    I vote for PCLinuxOS as well.

It recognised all my hardware right out of the box, on any computer I flung it at.
    chaos77 wrote: »
    PClinuxOS is a good all round choice or driver support, and is good for someone coming from widows as it has a similar interface.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Thank you for the feedback. I'll try and give both a go.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redtux wrote: »
    so theyd rather fix their computer by typing codes into the registry?

The registry may be a major weak point of Windows, but it is vastly easier to go fixing things in there, than it is to open a Terminal up and start typing away a variety of commands, options & parameters.

In fact, I can't think of a single reason why the average user would need to even look at the registry, most GUI tools can fix any registry-related issues.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MHunter wrote: »
    Hi finbaar, I think you should take a look at this link to maybe help you with your frustration - Linux is NOT Windows

I had fun reading that article, thanks. The thing is that although I could make the wifi dongle work - there is plenty of stuff in forums - by using command line prompts I just can't be bothered. I wont get a pay back for my time invested as if I do need to use Linux I will just plug in a cable to the old laptop. Linux for me will be useful tool when (if) I need to hack my Humax PVR or play about with Android ROMs on my Orange SF. Yes Linux is not Windows and it is not for me but I can see why many would like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I had fun reading that article, thanks. The thing is that although I could make the wifi dongle work - there is plenty of stuff in forums - by using command line prompts I just can't be bothered. I wont get a pay back for my time invested as if I do need to use Linux I will just plug in a cable to the old laptop. Linux for me will be useful tool when (if) I need to hack my Humax PVR or play about with Android ROMs on my Orange SF. Yes Linux is not Windows and it is not for me but I can see why many would like it.

Glad you found it entertaining. However, I think you're missing out on the real fun by giving up on fixing Linux for your wireless dongle - getting pay back in the form of satisfaction when it works, and learning something new will give you payback aplenty, in my experience...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Been using Ubuntu for years now, but I am getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to hop to another distro. Ubuntu's Gnome is driving me crackers of late. It's so buggy and messy, and I tire of wiping its butt all the time. Can anyone recommend a really strong KDE distro that has a 64 bit version? Doesn't have to be one of the big names. Thanks.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Been using Ubuntu for years now, but I am getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to hop to another distro. Ubuntu's Gnome is driving me crackers of late. It's so buggy and messy, and I tire of wiping its butt all the time. Can anyone recommend a really strong KDE distro that has a 64 bit version? Doesn't have to be one of the big names. Thanks.

Thats because there to busy messing about with Gnome shell
    http://gnome3.org/
    To worry about Gnome as it is :D

Im also doing a bit of distro hoping, (been using Gnome for years) but don't like the look of new Gnome shell. Read that its going to be the default in the next release of Ubuntu!
    Have found that Mint are experimenting with a Debian release
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1604
    Been using it for a few weeks, seems ok. the Mint team only do
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1495
    But think thats based on Kubuntu?
    But the Mint blog say they are to release a Debian based KDE version soon
    Scroll down to the 'Summary' section...http://blog.linuxmint.com/
  • Options
    trampolinotrampolino Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I have xubuntu on an old laptop. It runs just fine, way better than windows XP on the same machine.
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been through a few in my time.
    I think my first encounter was with a SUSE Live CD that was on a cover of a pc mag. I ran like a dog on the PC I had at the time but it was nice to play with something different.

The first distro I ever installed on my PC was Mandrake 8.2 and I had that for a while, but it was outdated even when I got it as I picked it up from CD's that were sitting around at work.

I think I briefly replaced mandrake with an early version of PCLinuxOS.

After that I started installing distros from live CD's
    Knoppix
    Morphix
    Mepis

I stuck with Mepis for quite a while before moving to Kubuntu and I've been on that for a good few years now.

Back in the day Mandrake and other RPM based distros really were hell to install stuff on. I know that has improved now but I really have a soft spot for debian based distros since then.

Linux has improved hugely in the 10 years or so I've been using it. These days everything is simple to install, update rarely break anything and everything just works.

I'm surprised every time I upgrade ubuntu to the latest version that the update runs and everything works. Used to be the case where you would need a day or so of debugging and fixing stuff that broke during upgrades. It just doesn't happen now. Obviously that's a good thing, but it does take some of the fun out of it :D
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »

OpenSuse would be a good choice.

Failing that, either Slackware or Gentoo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Thats because there to busy messing about with Gnome shell
    http://gnome3.org/
    To worry about Gnome as it is :D

I suspect you're absolutely right. Either way, I'm not happy. Gnome has become a complete mess with Ubuntu of late for me. :mad:

I had no idea though, that the Mint team were planning a KDE version of their take on Debian. That really is interesting and I will deffo be keeping an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Sabayon? That has a 64 bit version and it sho' is mighty purty.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    OpenSuse would be a good choice.

Failing that, either Slackware or Gentoo!

Slackware or Gentoo, wouldnt that be a bit of a jump\change\shock for someone thats used to using Ubuntu! :D
    ironjade wrote: »
    How about Sabayon? That has a 64 bit version and it sho' is mighty purty.

Ahh good old Sabayon, do they still play the mad rock songs whilst the OS is installing? :D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Slackware or Gentoo, wouldnt that be a bit of a jump\change\shock for someone thats used to using Ubuntu! :D

Ahh good old Sabayon, do they still play the mad rock songs whilst the OS is installing? :D:)

It's been a while but they did last time. Who else but a Linux developer would think to provide entertainment whilst you're waiting? With Mint you get an instructional slide show too.:cool: