Another waste of police time and money, Gambaccini, no charge

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So another DJ has no charges after again, costing no doubt a huge amount of money, another witchhunt, and again names before he even tried.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a discussion for another forum. The question here is whether he'll return to Radio 2 and, if so, in which slot.

This coincides with cutbacks to the station leading to overnight changes and the axing of studio managers and other staff. So is he going return to Saturday nights?

Ana Matronic's show is billed as a 'series', so when the current run ends there's no reason they can't restore Gambaccini's regular show at 8pm on Saturdays. For it to be two hours, they'd have to get rid of Craig Charles and only have him on 6 Music. Incidentally, Charles was falsely accused of rape a few years ago, so I'm sure he has an insight into what Gambaccini's gone through.

I can't see any other option being anything but a slight against Gambaccini. If they pre-record his show and play it out at 3am, it looks like they're finding him guilty. If they stick him on late Sunday nights, it also looks like an unwarranted demotion. If they simply don't bring him back, arguing that they never got rid of him and it was Gambaccini's own decision to leave the station, I don't think that will wash with everyone.

So, would people prefer to hear Gambaccini at 8pm after Liza Tarbuck, or at 6pm with Tarbuck moved later?
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it also depends whether Gambo wants to come back. After all, he stood down by his own choice rather than being taken off air.

Logically, he should come back to his old 8pm Saturday slot with a repeat added 3am Friday mornings.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it needs to be thought carefully now as people's names are being dragged through the mud and allegations dropped. I hope he returns to Radio.

True what a waste of money and stress for Paul.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the current Saturday evening line up works perfectly.

To me it seems that the Saturday schedule has moved on in the short time he has been away and his show sounds odd in that time slot.

His face fits though, so no doubt he'll be back on at the same time. The current two shows seemed very temporary almost as though the BBC were waiting for his return to the station.

Personally I'd shunt him to Sunday daytimes with all the other dross that R2 bangs out on the Sabbath
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Paul can get on with his life.

Hopefully he will get his show back in the near future.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately it takes a year usually for these things to sort themselves so I cannot see Foxy being back at Magic and will probably miss the go live for national magic on DAB.

Surely Paul should be offered a slot as he is not being charged but the BBC may say he left on his own and the station has moved on.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,828
    Forum Member
    I am pleased that this has now been resolved, after seeing what has happened to others it must be a relief.

Question is, has Paul been missed?

Personally I'd prefer Craig Charles to get the 8-10pm slot in Radio 2 on Saturday evenings as I think the music he plays is fantastic and it deserves to be on an FM station but I would be happier if Sara Cox was brought forward to 8-10 followed by Craig at 10 Thru' to midnight.
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame that a year of his career has been on hold for nothing; that said, whilst returning to the same show makes sense, it would be good to do a bit of a refresh as the replacement shows have been excellent. Maybe a weeknight hourly slot?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I can understand some peoples fondness for Gambo and I can undetstand that it's not been an easy year for him. I cannot however agree with it being a waste of money. Investigating an allegation of sexual abuse is never a waste in my view and most people seem to understand the difference between invrstigation, being charged and a conviction.

If you had been abused and when you made a statement to the police you were told "sorry we can't investigate your complaint because it's a waste of money" how would you feel

Justice has been done in this case and the system works as far as I am concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the BBC he will not be conducting any interviews regarding this. Also Jim Davidson, Freddie Starr and 10 other men have also had there allegations dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I can understand some peoples fondness for Gambo and I can undetstand that it's not been an easy year for him. I cannot however agree with it being a waste of money. Investigating an allegation of sexual abuse is never a waste in my view and most people seem to understand the difference between invrstigation, being charged and a conviction.

If you had been abused and when you made a statement to the police you were told "sorry we can't investigate your complaint because it's a waste of money" how would you feel

Justice has been done in this case and the system works as far as I am concerned.

It's a waste of money if it ends up allegations are dropped if those idiots are wasting police time making false statements. I still think names shouldn't be spread about until the evidence is either true or false.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,828
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    It's a waste of money if it ends up allegations are dropped if those idiots are wasting police time making false statements. I still think names shouldn't be spread about until the evidence is either true or false.

Agreed, names should not be bandied about until a charge is made.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a waste of money if it ends up allegations are dropped if those idiots are wasting police time making false statements.

Is there any evidence that the statements were false?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the same will happen with Neil Fox, it is the damage it does to their reputation. I hope the people who made the claims, if they can't in the balance of probability show that they are true, that they end up having to pay damages in the civil court. I'd love to see an innocent celebrity take out a civil action, that would certainly make people think twice.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I suspect the same will happen with Neil Fox, it is the damage it does to their reputation. I hope the people who made the claims, if they can't in the balance of probability show that they are true, that they end up having to pay damages in the civil court. I'd love to see an innocent celebrity take out a civil action, that would certainly make people think twice.

Yes I would love to live in a society where people are so frightened to make an abuse allegation or any of a sexual nature they just don't bother and abusers are free to do it again.

Allegatuons of this nature have a very low conviction rate anyway and are notoriously difcicult to prove.

Gambo is an innocent man and everyone now knows it but in my view nothing wrong has happened to him. The police had to quite rightly follow up an allegation and they have concluded that there is not enough evidence to secure a con iction and there is no case to answer. I would much prefer a society where someone has a tough year and is found innocent than one where abusers are free.
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Of course not but this is digital spy remember.

Gambo is an.innocent man and has not been charged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

No, but with so many similar patterns happening it does make people wonder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

I've already thought about that. Then they have to cause themselves more hardship. Is it really worth it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has it taken a year for two false allegations too be investigated and then no further action taken?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would love to live in a society where people are so frightened to make an abuse allegation or any of a sexual nature they just don't bother and abusers are free to do it again.

Allegatuons of this nature have a very low conviction rate anyway and are notoriously difcicult to prove.

Gambo is an innocent man and everyone now knows it but in my view nothing wrong has happened to him. The police had to quite rightly follow up an allegation and they have concluded that there is not enough evidence to secure a con iction and there is no case to answer. I would much prefer a society where someone has a tough year and is found innocent than one where abusers are free.

If it's a fake and false allegation then a year off somebodies life, the PR damage, the career and reputation damage can ruin their life, just look at John Leslie.

I would definitely encourage them to take civil action against the accusers if they know in their heart that they are innocent. It would serve the false accusers right if they have to sell their house, car and everything or go bankrupt because they decided to not only cost the tax payer a fortune, but so severely affect the life of somebody. They owe damages for what they have done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does it really take 12 months?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    I think the current Saturday evening line up works perfectly.

To me it seems that the Saturday schedule has moved on in the short time he has been away and his show sounds odd in that time slot.

His face fits though, so no doubt he'll be back on at the same time. The current two shows seemed very temporary almost as though the BBC were waiting for his return to the station.

Personally I'd shunt him to Sunday daytimes with all the other dross that R2 bangs out on the Sabbath
    I disagree strongly. Gambo at least plays some new music which would not fit in on a Sunday line up. I used to love the mix of classics and new tracks from the American charts. Sadly shows like this have become a rarity since Shennan has been controller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Gambo did say he will be getting back to work soon on the BBC news site. Bob Shennan can't wait around for the police to get off there backsides and changed things. I hope he returns to Radio 2.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    According to the BBC he will not be conducting any interviews regarding this. Also Jim Davidson, Freddie Starr and 10 other men have also had there allegations dropped.

7 actually.
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I disagree strongly. Gambo at least plays some new music which would not fit in on a Sunday line up. I used to love the mix of classics and new tracks from the American charts. Sadly shows like this have become a rarity since Shennan has been controller.

I agree strongly (with Peter the Great). There hasn't been a mix show like Paul's since October 28. If he isn't back soon, in the same slot, I'll be very disappointed.