Options

DAB in Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, none of my sets will update automatically and I've had DAB for a while now too.

I've also taken some to other parts of the UK and I've had to do a retune every time. Returning to NI required a further retune and the station trimming procedure (or a factory reset in some cases).

When D1 started in NI in 2012 we were advised to do a retune (no set that I owned automatically updated).

By the way, I noticed Absolute Classic Rock isn't starting until Monday on some of the Scottish multiplexes so it may be the same for NI. That date of the 15th December may have been wrong.

I'll expect to receive both Arrow Classic Rock and Kisstory on Monday, after a retune of course :D
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Well, none of my sets will update automatically and I've had DAB for a while now too.

I've also taken some to other parts of the UK and I've had to do a retune every time. Returning to NI required a further retune and the station trimming procedure (or a factory reset in some cases).

That's because they are new multiplexes - on Monday once reports of Magic being on Digital One come on here try tuning to LBC on your DAB set, wait a couple of seconds then look through your station list, I bet Magic appears automatically on most, if not all, sets. Abs R 90s should be prefixed with a ? too indicating it's no longer available.

I've only had one set which will find new Multiplexes on it's own (that's my Highway) - in its case I would except Rock FM 2 to automatically appear on the list next time I pass North of the M58 turn off and the Lancs multiplex becomes available..... (As long as I'm not listening to DAB at the time)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because they are new multiplexes

Yes, I realise that
    I bet Magic appears automatically on most, if not all, sets.

Yep, Magic should appear automatically on most sets since it's replacing Absolute 90's on Digital One
    Abs R 90s should be prefixed with a ? too indicating it's no longer available.

It only appeared on any of the radios I own after a retune. Currently there are two Absolute 90's services, both with a slightly different ID. Absolute 90's on D1 is appears as Absolute90's. Absolute 90's on the NI mux is Absolute 90's. Note the space after "Absolute".

To receive Absolute Classic Rock and Kisstory on Monday a retune will be required.

Getting rid of the Absolute90's? should require either a retune, trim station list procedure, or a factory reset.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only appeared on any of the radios I own after a retune. Currently there are two the Absolute90's? should require either a retune, trim station list procedure, or a factory reset.
    I think if Magic keeps the same C4C0 id as Abs90s on D1 then Abs 90s will be renamed and no need to remove, but will stay if the id changes?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    My parents Intempo is particularly rubbish in this regard - it's full of all the MXR North West stations (and pretty much everything else which has ceased in the last decade) and you can't prune the stations and the factory reset doesn't work!
    If it uses the old Radioscape chips pressing select for a while at switch on should do a reset.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To receive Absolute Classic Rock and Kisstory on Monday a retune will be required.
    I really think you don't understand what we're talking about.

Here's my challenge to you. Don't retune your set on Monday. Resist the urge to retune. Just tune to another station on your local multiplex, and those new stations will appear automatically.

You haven't said what model of radio(s) you are using either.

If you really were unlucky enough to keep buying duff non-compliant DAB radios that didn't read the FIC, your radio would break everytime there was a multiplex reconfiguration. And I don't believe that you have a non compliant receiver. If you did, it would be difficult to listen to the BBC national multiplex for more than a few hours at a time. Your radio HAS to be constantly reading the DAB FIC to work. It's a fundamental part of the DAB spec. So whenever you tune in to a station on a multiplex, your receiver will always be updated to whatever is on that multiplex.

As myself and others have said, you only need to do a retune to find new multiplexes, or to update multiplexes that you never listen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my challenge to you. Don't retune your set on Monday. Resist the urge to retune. Just tune to another station on your local multiplex, and those new stations will appear automatically.

No, they wont.

Absolute 90's didn't appear on the 15th December on any the DAB radios I own without a retune. The same will happen on Monday re. Kisstory/Absolute Classic Rock.

I'll stand corrected if anything else happens.
  • Options
    theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Also gone from the Virgin media platform I see as well

No, they wont.

Absolute 90's didn't appear on the 15th December on any the DAB radios I own without a retune. The same will happen on Monday re. Kisstory/Absolute Classic Rock.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they wont.

This is the third time I'm going to ask you for the make/model of what DAB sets you have. Will you answer this time?

Absolute 90s would have only appeared without a retune if you first tuned to another service on the same multiplex once Absolute 90s appeared. I have come to the conclusion you are either a wind up merchant or don't understand what we are talking about. I don't get why you haven't told us what your 6 DAB radios are yet? Why not warn people about these non compliant DAB radios?
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    Bangers wrote: »
    This is the third time I'm going to ask you for the make/model of what DAB sets you have. Will you answer this time?
    I wonder if Hertz will answer the third time round. The said member didn't answer the last few times which might suggest he won't answer this time, either. I'm thinking perhaps the same will just happen. There is no reason why they would, otherwise. I assume that will be the case. Maybe they will, maybe they won't? There's also the chance an answer to a completely different question will be made. It should be interesting.

For the record, I own/have owned in excess of 10 DAB radios and they ALL pick up the new services when the mux is tuned to.
  • Options
    AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member

I was always under the impression that with most DAB sets you would need to retune in order to receive new stations on a multiplex you are already receiving. I think I'll be impartial in this, I'm going to test this theory on Monday! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always under the impression that with most DAB sets you would need to retune in order to receive new stations on a multiplex you are already receiving. I think I'll be impartial in this, I'm going to test this theory on Monday! :p

Exactly.

We'll wait and see what happens on Monday. If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope - not one I've ever used has worked like that, and as has already been stated any DAB radio which didn't work this way would have regular problems listening to BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5 due to their frequent configuration changes and would have occassional problems listening to the other BBC National DAB services.

From personal experience I can confirm the following all work as described:-

Cambridge Audio DAB300S
    JVC DB-711 (doesn't even an auto tune option)
    Perstel Blue Note (I think that was it's name - bought before the local transmitter was turned on so reception varied between ropey and non-existant and the telescopic aerial was impracticable)
    Philips AZ6000
    Philips DA1000 (I remember digging this out a couple of years ago after being in storage for a long while and it had last been tuned to "The Storm", when I turned it on it came up with "The Storm; Station Off Air" :cry: but the channel listings had been populated with the likes of Xfm, Heart, and Gem 106, All of which had renamed/come on air since the demise of The Storm - Chill, Disney, Galaxy et al were also all prefixed with a ?. The listings also included D1 stations like Life, Core, PrimeTime which had long since vanished, of course tuning to Virgin Radio saw it renamed Absolute, the new stuff added to the lists and Life, Core, and PrimeTime prefixed with a ? too)
    Pure Chronus iDock
    Pure Highway 260DBI
    Pure Pocket DAB 1500
    Roberts RD-49
    Sony CMTBX77DBI
    Sony XDR-S1 (doesn't even have a real auto tune anyway - the "auto tune" just decides which frequency blocks to go to on Ch+ and Ch-)
    Intempo PG-01

I've only ever needed to do an auto-tune when a new multiplex (or transmitter) launches or if I'm in a new location - heck when leaving my Cambridge Audio DAB300S tuner tuned to the Sheffield multiplex one day I came home to find BBC Radio Solent and other channels from the South Hampshire multiplex had appeared in the channel list (due to atmospherics bringing that multiplex as far north as Nottingham and drowning out the Sheffield one). Similarly I found the MXR North West multiplex at the same time, and when the Nottingham multiplex launched a few months later simply selecting "Century NW" from the station list populated my radio with all the tests on the Nottingham multiplex (which was also on block 12C).

If you're a regular BBC National multiplex listener I bet you've got some or all of the following in your station list even if your auto-tunes have always co-incidenced with no opt-outs being on air,
    BBC R2Eu, BBC R5SX, BBC R4LW, DService, Parlmnrt.

The "retune" announcements are just to keep it simple - it also prompts people to perform an auto-tune in case a new transmitter has come on air and fully update their station lists (e.g. Bauer will be keen to get Magic 999 listeners to perform an Auto-Tune so they get Magic FM in their list in addition to Rock FM 1, Rock FM 2, Rock FM 3, Heat, Kisstory, and Abs R 90s which will have appeared automatically. They also mean if you happen to be listening to Magic 999 in car on MW when you get home your station list will show all the new stations even if you happened to be listening to BBC Radio 2 when you turned the radio on. Additonally it's a subtle prompt you'll need to amend your presets such that your Abs R 90s preset is now pointing to Lancs instead of Digital 1.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Absolute 90s would have only appeared without a retune if you first tuned to another service on the same multiplex once Absolute 90s appeared. I have come to the conclusion you are either a wind up merchant or don't understand what we are talking about. I don't get why you haven't told us what your 6 DAB radios are yet? Why not warn people about these non compliant DAB radios?
    You really don 't need to get so would up or so rude in a discussion that's just about tuning radios.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why you haven't told us what your 6 DAB radios are yet?

Pure Evoke Flow.

Pure One Elite.

Pure Move

Pure Move 400D

Roberts Gemini RD49

Roberts Play.

I also have an old Roberts Sports DAB around somewhere.

Three are DAB+ compatible. The pure Evoke Flow, The Pure move 400D, and the Roberts Play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Well, here's the thing, the DAB sets from Pure and Roberts sets do indeed comply with the DAB spec and add new stations automatically (once you are tuned to the multiplex the new station(s) is on).
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always under the impression that with most DAB sets you would need to retune in order to receive new stations on a multiplex you are already receiving.

I suspect many people think a retune is required, because of the 'Freeview' experience.
    And actually, many modern Freeview receivers, also often don't require a retune to add new stations either !
  • Options
    dttulsterdttulster Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    My Roberts Classic DAB2 has already added Absolute Classic Rock and Kisstory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dttulster wrote: »
    My Roberts Classic DAB2 has already added Absolute Classic Rock and Kisstory.

As did my "Roberts Gemini RD49" as it's done every time previously - turned it on, was already tuned to Xfm, just went through the listings and KISSTORY had appeared as I expected / normally experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Well, here's the thing, the DAB sets from Pure and Roberts sets do indeed comply with the DAB spec and add new stations automatically (once you are tuned to the multiplex the new station(s) is on).

Kisstory and Absolute Classic Rock have indeed been added to the NI mux. All the radios that I own (listed above) have required a retuned, as expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    As did my "Roberts Gemini RD49" as it's done every time previously - turned it on, was already tuned to Xfm, just went through the listings and KISSTORY had appeared as I expected / normally experience.

Mine didn't, and I checked before I did the retune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what station on the multiplex were you tuned to before you did the retune then?

I have the Pure Move and that doesn't need a retune. I own other radios from Pure and Roberts and they don't need retuning to add a new station that's appeared on a multiplex I'm tuned to.

Others here agree with me too.

That's why I can only conclude that if you really aren't winding us up, that you don't understand which stations are on which multiplex or what we are talking about.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what station on the multiplex were you tuned to before you did the retune then?

Didn't matter whether it was the BBC mux, D1, or the NI mux.
    I have the Pure Move and that doesn't need a retune. I own other radios from Pure and Roberts and they don't need retuning to add a new station that's appeared on a multiplex I'm tuned to.

Me too and they all needed a retune, even my Pure Evoke Flow.
    That's why I can only conclude that if you really aren't winding us up, that you don't understand which stations are on which multiplex or what we are talking about.

Maybe you're winding me up. :D
    We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Indeed.

No DAB radio that I own picked up the new stations automatically today, no matter what multiplex I was originally tuned to. It's always been the case.

Could it be something to do with the settings menu ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute 90's on D1 will revert to Magic automatically (probably at midnight) but that's a different matter altogether.
  • Options
    Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No DAB radio that I own picked up the new stations automatically today, no matter what multiplex I was originally tuned to. It's always been the case.

Not so. My Pure Evoke 3 and Roberts EcoLogic 4 added Kisstory to the station list automatically when I tuned to Signal 2 on the Stoke multiplex this morning. An auto tune was not required, never has been.

Hertz must have one helluva problem finding Daily Service, Parliament and Radio 5 Live Sports Extra.