Skincare advice?

iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
Forum Member
Naturally I have awfully dry skin and bad spots, so I went in to boots and asked them what I could use to sort this out, and they gave me Clearisil face wash and Dual Action moisturizer. They both worked very well and within 2 days my spots were gone and my skin was great! People were commenting on how good it was and how shocked the were as I used to have awful skin.

However, after about a month or so of using these two products every day, it seemed to stop working for some reason. I started to get spots again and my skin started to dry out again, so I started looking online for different products. I looked for what some celebrities with great skin such as Joey Essex and Cheryl Cole used, and from my research the tow products I needed to get were Clarins moisturizer and Sudocrem for spots. I also used E45 cream in the mornings as that was supposed to be good aswell.

These products all turned out great at first but similar to the ones I used before, they stopped working after a while apart from the Clarins moisturizer as my skin is still exceptionally smooth. However my spots have come back AGAIN and quite badly. I'm not really sure why as Sudocrem is supposed to be AMAZING for getting rid of spots but it's really not working at the moment, however it did at first? My friend told me that it is the Clarins moisturizer that is giving me spots, is this true?

I'm just not sure why my skin is so inconsistent, help please?

EDIT: I also started using small amounts of BB cream on my face recently to cover the bad areas on my skin [I know it's weird as I'm male but I felt it was needed], could this be a reason for the increase in spots?

Comments

• bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to read about your plight, not sure of your age and whether that has anything to do with it; or if bad skin runs in your family. My ex- had acne and used to get lotions, potions and pills from the doctors - none of it worked.

A simple change of diet, cutting out oily unhealthy things, worked on his acidity levels, a bottle of gaviscon was a must. However by eating bio youghurts, stir-fries and plenty of water to flush out your system could help reduce the bad stuff causing spots.

I didn't have this problem, but when I got a spot the mark would never go..I put it down to using E45, cocoabutter etc, basically the oil was clogging my pores. What I discovered, looking for a 'reduce marks' cream, was a skin-whitening cream called NU76. It is natural but expensive, and works! My skin is mark free and lovely and smooth, with no more blotches of dry skin.

As mentioned, it does cost a bit, but I wouldn't use anything else now.
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at this blog. I think she is an absolute guru and she has lots of advice for acne/spot prone skin. Check out the cheat sheets.

http://www.carolinehirons.com/
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,799
    Forum Member
    I would stop using any products meant for spots - they're really harsh and make them worse in the long run. You need gentle products that won't aggravate your skin. I agree with the poster who recommended Caroline Hirons' cheat sheets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A third vote for Caroline Hirons advice. My skin has improved no end since following her suggestions. Put the Clearasil down now!
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline Hirons advice is excellent.. she tells it like it is.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I think that less is more. I agree with the majority of posters on this thread. I think a good diet, drinking gallons of water, no carbonated juices and a good skincare product is the first step. I used to have a whole range of products that I used on a daily basis, e.g. Boots #7 cleanser and toner; Simple moisturiser and Nivea Q-10 plus anti wrinkle cream. Now I am a follower of Monsia Skincare. I find that the shea butter that is used in the cleanser, toner, day cream (which has SPF15) and the intense night cream all work together and not against one another and suits my skin.
  • nathanpaynenathanpayne Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    My girl friend started using this: http://www.ratedacnetreatments.com/reviews/exposed-skin-care-review/

She started in October and her face is a lot clearer now, she used to have a alot of small pimples and spots but these days there is nothing.

She tried everything in boots and nothing seemed to work for her... You have no idea how good it is not to hear her moan every morning about a new spot haha!
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered non stop bad acne for about 4/5 years starting when I was around 11/12.. I used every sort of cream and tablets that the doctor and chemist reccommended until I finally was prescribed roaccutane-tablets for severe acne last year from my dermatologist. It is very effective but has a lot of side effects including extremely dry skin and lips and it was even rumoured to cause low moods and depression (which the dermatologist believed to be untrue and it turned out the complete opposite for me as it lifted my mood getting rid of my acne) After around 4 months on them, my skin was spotless and I got loads of compliments from friends on it. I was also surprised to find out that many people in my year had went on the treatment or have gone on to take the tablets after me.I'm 17 now and do occasionally get the odd spot now and again and have some marks from the acne (that I hope will fade over time but they aren't visable to the human eye) but it definitely made a huge improvement on my skin and regained my confidence. Although you aren't allowed drink alcohol on them which may be tricky on some social occasions and your acne has to be deemed severe enough by your gp and dermatologist to be permitted to start taking them.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,799
    Forum Member
    Salcura do anti acne products that came out best in a Channel 4 test. I've used their range for dermatitis and it's very good. Natural and gentle, but effective.

There used to be a topical anti-biotic called Dalacin (sp?) that worked for a few people I knew. It was prescription only - haven't a clue if it's still available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Get the same products but different brands. It helps to mix things up and stops your skin getting used to the one product. If it's severe, I'd recommend going to your GP. I had blotchy break outs as a teenager and they gave me this cream you'd put on at night and it'd go flaky, you'd wash it off the next morning and in a week or two you'd have good skin.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    My girl friend started using this: http://www.ratedacnetreatments.com/reviews/exposed-skin-care-review/

She started in October and her face is a lot clearer now, she used to have a alot of small pimples and spots but these days there is nothing.

She tried everything in boots and nothing seemed to work for her... You have no idea how good it is not to hear her moan every morning about a new spot haha!
    Do you know how long the results will last? As the kit is £60 and I don't really want to be buying it regularly aha
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Drink lots of water. It will help to hydrate you, including your skin and will flush out toxins. It's been many years since I had spots and products have changed so I can't recommend any topical products I'm afraid. I would go to your GP if it's really bad and getting you down.
  • nathanpaynenathanpayne Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Do you know how long the results will last? As the kit is £60 and I don't really want to be buying it regularly aha

Not sure how long they are meant to last to be honest. I think in most cases you just need to get in front of the spots, prevent them with a good acne treatment cream or medication. Once you stop acne breakouts with them, then I guess its down to cleaning the skin and using "normal" ways of cleaning your skin.

I have personally had bad acne (on my chest and back) when I was younger and went to my GP, I was then referred to a clinic at hospital. In the end I was put on roaccutane for about 9 months. It worked but it took months to see any results and it dried my skin out so badly when I talked my lips would bleed, I had nose bleeds, dry hands, etc. That is what the drug is meant to do, but it was really horrific.

To this day (about 10 years later) my lips still get very dry and bleed, I even get nose bleeds and dry hands - but the acne came back. Granted not as bad, but what I went through wasn't worth it in my eyes.

I was never bothered too much with acne on my face. I have considered getting exposed skin care and using it on my back but not sure if it will work or not.