Widespread Fraud at A4E

2»

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, it is quite disgusting.

Here is a group of people who are unemployed and most are seeking a new job and you have a company like A4e taking the piss out of them and the taxpayer by sticking their noses into the trough.

I hate to think what is going to happen to the children in social service care when they get privatised or what's going to happen with the police when they get handed to the security firms.

Are there going to be any safeguards to stop standards disintegrating or crooks cooking the books and sticking their noses into the public purse?

Or is it gonna be a massive free-for-all???

Some children's homes are now private, and I remember reading about fraud being committed in some in which children were ready to go back home, but they were being kept back to keep the money coming in for them. Also, there are concerns about support for children in them. Public services and private firms really shouldn't be mixed, IMO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8515848.stm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget about care of the elderly either. Southern Cross and the missing money, abuse of patients and even the wild spending of the health watchdog who is meant to oversee these things,

Care home quango spends a fortune on junkets (and Krispy Kreme doughnuts)

A health watchdog at the centre of a care home abuse scandal has spent millions of pounds on plush refurbishments, staff junkets, Raymond Blanc meals and, staggeringly, more than £300 on Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Last year alone, it spent more than £82,000 using taxpayer-funded credit cards.

The bills included £327 on Krispy Kreme doughnuts, £32 at Nando’s fast food restaurants, £144.92 at Soho Coffee, £400 at Waitrose, £13 at Burger King, £260 at one of top chef Raymond Blanc’s chain of brasseries and £137 at the Fig & Olive restaurant in London.

The figures also show that the CQC spent £47,000 on staff awaydays, up to £800,000 a year on ‘hospitality’, more than £1 million refurbishing its offices and nearly £4 million a year on ‘communications’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063777/Care-home-quango-spends-fortune-junkets-Krispy-Kreme-doughnuts.html

Public spending is high because of this sort of thing, not because of the unemployed, sick and disabled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    locally there's only one provider
    it's been like that for years apart from last year when A4E and TNG competed and both failed

For Work Programme there must be 2 or 3.

For your area, check out:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wp-prime-supplier-contact-details.pdf
  • HeresyIsFreedomHeresyIsFreedom Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just A4e and its not just fraud.

There's incompetence and borderline entrapment of clients going on as well and all the W2W providers and indeed the JC are involved.

I'm about to cook for the family, but when I get back I'll give you an example.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    For Work Programme there must be 2 or 3.

For your area, check out:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wp-prime-supplier-contact-details.pdf

there is but it's only one I thought
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine just got a job, good on him, and he as been asked by 2 different help groups for letters and pay slips to say he is working.

Ok he had some help but did get the job off his own back in the end, but good on them if it helped

Now they both want about £2000 each? I don't know but it's time like these you understand that the public sector might not be such a rip off. They work to help people, not make a buck or two.
  • TonyfaceTonyface Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron's friends are a bit dodgy aren't they!

Phone-tapping, fraud, drugs....

I'm sure there is gonna be more . :D

I saw a women who was a dead ringer for Theresa May loitering around in Soho once.....:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really did think the advocates of privatisation and critics of public spending might have at least something to say about this topic. They usually ask for proof when anyone suggests privatisation of public services will lead to a more expensive, inferior service, with some selected people becoming rich at the expense of the tax payer. Why no comment when it's provided?

Maybe this thread should be bookmarked for use in future discussions about how privatisation is always the answer to high public spending or inefficiency...
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    I really did think the advocates of privatisation and critics of public spending might have at least something to say about this topic. They usually ask for proof when anyone suggests privatisation of public services will lead to a more expensive, inferior service, with some selected people becoming rich at the expense of the tax payer. Why no comment when it's provided?

Maybe this thread should be bookmarked for use in future discussions about how privatisation is always the answer to high public spending or inefficiency...

We are talking about fraud by individuals here, im not sure that is a good basis for your arguement about private vs public sector efficiency.
  • fotytscyrfotytscyr Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DennyCrane wrote: »
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Yet another of Cameron's millionnaire friends caught as a crook.

Funny isn't it how they seem to keep out of jail.[/]

Friends with the labour party too. Especially David blunkett Who is an advisor for A4e raking in £30000 a year.

And let's not forget it was labour who gave A4e those juicy contracts.

You are right. The whole lot of them are crooks. Labour, bloody Tories and the Lib, Dems and PC, party of Wales would be too, if only they could get there there noses in the trought:yawn:
    Why do you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    We are talking about fraud by individuals here, im not sure that is a good basis for your arguement about private vs public sector efficiency.

Maybe you need to re-read the thread. It is about private companies robbing the tax payer courtesy of government, all governments.

This divide along party lines is a distraction from the real problem, those who do it are part of the problem, not the balanced judges they pretend to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped for Majlis to comment on after discussion in this thread. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1644480&page=4

The concern is not only fraud at A4E but the amount of money taken from the public purse by private companies for a poorer service and, of course. being a company they are now not accountable for their actions. There is no way of voting them out or changing procedures, the politicians hide behind the 'contracts' which can't be scrutinised by the public.

There are some examples in here of a worse service, companies claiming for fictitious services and yet no minister seems to be accountable. There are many more companies who are 'preferred contractors' for all manner of things formerly carried out by public sector workers. Is it any wonder public spending is high when so many private hands are dipping in the public purse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Great Apprentice Scandal http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01fm01r/Panorama_The_Great_Apprentice_Scandal/

Panorama to focus on Zenos, Morrisons and subcontracting

Panorama will broadcast ’The Great Apprentice Scandal’ on BBC One at 8.30 tonight, and will focus on 16-18 IT apprenticeships delivered by Zenos (although not mentioned in their press release), Morrisons apprenticeships delivered by Elmfield Training and a number of apprenticeship subcontractors.

Elmfield Training, the private company that accredits Morrisons’ apprentices has a government contract worth £37 million. Elmfield made a profit of £12 million in 2010 and the company’s CEO, Ged Syddall, awarded himself a dividend of nearly £3 million. Yet when the company was inspected by OFSTED recently, its training for Morrisons was rated as ‘satisfactory’, the second lowest rating possible.

The retail apprenticeship, which last year took an average of just six months to complete, has also been criticised by providers of more traditional apprenticeships.

Charlie Mullins – founder of Pimlico Plumbers – employs 18 apprentices out of a staff of 200. Their training takes a minimum of 3 years. Mr Mullins says of short retail apprenticeships:

“I think all they’re really doing is undervaluing the word apprentice, and they’ve really just seen a loophole in the system that they can claim money on it.”

http://feweek.co.uk/2012/04/02/panorama-to-focus-on-zenos-morrisons-and-subcontracting/

More companies to be added to the corporate welfare list.

No wonder so many youngsters feels used, angry and disenfranchised these days. They really are being thwarted at every turn, being used only as cash cows by government and greedy private business. Whether it be education, supposed training or even being told to work for their jsa, they aren't being given a chance to make something of themselves from the get go. Remember, these people are the future for the UK...
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    More companies names to be added to the corporate welfare list.

No wonder so many youngsters feels used, angry and disenfranchised these days. They really are being thwarted at every turn, being used only as cash cows by government and greedy private business. Whether it be education, supposed training or even being told to work for their jsa, they aren't being given a chance to make something of themselves from the get go. Remember, these people are the future for the UK...

Yep , 'apprenticeships' are really just a way to funnel tax money to private companies, most of which have connections to either the past or current government, often both.

£3 million that guy paid himself, but remember, its the people getting £26k in benefits that are the leeches, never mind the majority of that is more often than nor due to excesssive housing benefit, itself a by product of an over inflated housing market that the government are still using tax payers money to prop up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Privatisation has done nothing of any note in the places where its been applied except the costs have spiralled , the subsidies required have risen & the CEO's have all been the recipients of telephone number salarys & pension pots.

Corperate welfare is the biggest drain on the taxpayer. Britsih Rail in its last ful year of being state owned required £431m in subsidy to cover Network South East & Regional Railways, with Intercity, railfreight & the parcels division being stand alone business's so why does it take nearly £4bn now to subsidise a rail network thats seen the fares go through the roof, all its rolling stcik built abroad , with large state handouts going to the Dutch & German state railways along with the bus companies that run the trains.

What do A4E do that the Job Centre staff cant?

:)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well im about to starrt Work Program, and I will still have to sign on at the Job Centre, so there it no real saving there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do A4E do that the Job Centre staff cant?

:)

Absolutely nothing.

JCP should be directly involved with job searches and training etc, though probably some services would still be contracted out.
    The main difference would be that the so called prime providers would be cut out of the loop. JCP/DWP would retain control- something which the government has no intention of keeping.

Some civil servants are extremely well paid, but none get £8m or even £3m a year.
    Ministers would rather use the "black box" approach which allows providers to do whatever they want (and pass responsibility for failure away from themselves).

They believe it is cheaper- something for which there is no evidence.
    They believe it is a better system- ditto.

The only stipulation for providers to work programme is that they have a turnover of £10m a year. This is supposedly to show solvency (no mention of ability, positive track record, lack of fraudulent activity etc). But when contracts are for hundreds of millions, what's £10million? Emma's salary for next year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the more sickening sights on TV of recent years was that Fairy Jobmother woman and her cohorts schmoozing up to Harrison at one of her infamous "parties" - in what was basically a multi-part commercial for her company broadcast for free on Channel Four - why they ever fell for all that guff is beyond me.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    RayRidley wrote: »
    One of the more sickening sights on TV of recent years was that Fairy Jobmother woman and her cohorts schmoozing up to Harrison at one of her infamous "parties" - in what was basically a multi-part commercial for her company broadcast for free on Channel Four - why they ever fell for all that guff is beyond me.

*shudder* - I abhored that ridiculous, crappy play on words - how far could they stretch it. A godawful programme and I remember they pulled a couple from the series (and from Youtube too).