government work programme puts black cloud over jubilee

Comments

• Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Needs to be checked out first. If so, this is disgraceful but if it isn't so it is yet another turgid article from The Guardian.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This government really haven't got a f*****g clue have they?

Do they really want more riots? A revolution?

They are asking for it.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the Government will do nothing - it benefits them and both Labour and the coalition back it.

It'll need people power and a massive backlash against the main parties for them to take any notice that we will not tolerate jobseekers and the disabled thanks in addition to ATOS being treated in such a inhumane and sickening manner, with less dignity and respect than a criminal who commits the most heinous of crimes.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Needs to be checked out first. If so, this is disgraceful but if it isn't so it is yet another turgid article from The Guardian.
    I trust the Guardian more then this 'turgid' government. Shambles of a coalition.

What people need to do is spread the word, and ensure the do-ers get named and shamed.
    Forum Member
    It does make you wonder how much of this has been going on this weekend and how much more is planned for the olympics.

Do these clueless politicians really want this year to be remembered for the "slave labour" jubilee and the "slave labour" olympics?

Just what the hell is going on in this country?

If Ed Milliband and Labour can't make mincemeat of them after this........
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Disgraceful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another must read, first hand account, of what happened. Even more disgraceful and inhumane treatment of jobseekers exposed in this blog post:

http://eddiegillard.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/queen-put-at-risk-by-workfare-provider/
    Forum Member
    And now

'Plan for cheap prison work 'may cost thousands of jobs'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/plan-for-cheap-prison-work-may-cost-thousands-of-jobs-7815140.html

"The Department of Justice has rebranded the old Prison Industries Unit as a new body called One3one Solutions and wants to increase prison revenues to £130m a year by 2021. One3one, which is named after the number of prisons in the UK estate, is offering interested companies the chance of "utilising a workforce of motivated prisoners" who, it claims, are looking to "build outstanding business relationships with you".

Prisoners are not paid the minimum wage, and labour urcontracts seen by the investigative website Exaro News show
    companies are typically paying prisons the equivalent of around £2 an hour for prisoners' labour".

I just do not know what to say about all this.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Some good news:
    I am pleased to report that one MP is now aware of the situation, Bristol East's Kerry McCarthy, and that she will be asking questions about this matter so hopefully this abuse will not happen again:

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP
    Unemployed bussed in from Bristol to steward jubilee pageant http://gu.com/p/384he/tw and http://bit.ly/K8yWtS. Will be asking Qs about this.

https://twitter.com/#!/KerryMP
    Forum Member
    Some good news:

Very nice, keep us updated.
    Forum Member
    What would have happened if one of the people brought along by Close Protection UK had been an Al-Qaeda suicide bomber with explosives strapped to them?

Honestly I'm not joking...
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope they get jobs out of this :)
    Forum Member
    Twitter going nuts, just type in 'unemployed' - brace yourselves - The Guardian better keep quiet about those unpaid internships too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member

This is vile!!! What the f*** is happening in this country??? :mad:

This first picture reminds me of a scene from the camps in Germany my parents told me about after and during the war.

Nazi's then and nazis now...... Aye it's my own opinion. :rolleyes:
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    What would have happened if one of the people brought along by Close Protection UK had been an Al-Qaeda suicide bomber with explosives strapped to them?

You may not be joking, but you are getting a little carried away. These people were stewards on the banks of the Thames, in places where anyone in the country was freely allowed to go and blow themselves up if they so wished.
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Twitter going nuts, just type in 'unemployed' - brace yourselves - The Guardian better keep quiet about those unpaid internships too.

This one says it all
    "The Queen's big bollocks boat bash was staffed by workfare slaves who were forced to sleep under London Bridge"
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    You may not be joking, but you are getting a little carried away. These people were stewards on the banks of the Thames, in places where anyone in the country was freely allowed to go and blow themselves up if they so wished.

Not really, they could have found an excuse to go into a crowd of people, killed and injured dozens.

As happened in 2005 if you remember.

Were any checks carried out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member

The unpaid bit is bad but i guess if it's something you want to get into, it's good experience

I'm not sure how many people wanted to be security guards though. What really makes me sick is they were made to sleep under a bridge and didn't have access to toilets for 24 hours, feels like slave labour to me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member

I know it's really shocking.

But where some people are concerned it's only the scroungers, so it wouldn't matter :mad:
    Wonder if the Royals know or care... no probably. Kept from them incase it spoils their precious day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Twitter going nuts?? that site trumps the Daily Mail for outrage :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, they could have found an excuse to go into a crowd of people, killed and injured dozens.

As happened in 2005 if you remember.

Were any checks carried out?

Just like anyone could have gone into a crowd of people and injured dozens.

If this story is true then it's about the exploitation of people, not the "could have" scenario of suicide bombers who as stewards would have no greater access to crowds of people than any member of the general public yesterday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter going nuts?? that site trumps the Daily Mail for outrage :p

These days it's so easy to be outraged, just re-tweet what someone else said, adding something like "the bastards", job done. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's really shocking.

But where some people are concerned it's only the scroungers so it wouldn't matter :mad:
    Stripping the humanity out of jobseekers and also the disabled I would argue, so that when these scandals come to light, you get people condoning such actions.

Although how anyone could condone such inhumane and sickening treatment of people and suggest this sort of treatment should be normal, I can't comprehend.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This actually makes me disgusted to be British. That in the enlightened 21st Century members of the British government and the British government before this one sees this as acceptable treatment of British citizens ney any human being, If I was forced to undertake such duties while unemployed; in such condtions, without toilet and accomodation facilities, Those British flags by the river would have made good toilet paper.
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Just like anyone could have gone into a crowd of people and injured dozens.

If this story is true then it's about the exploitation of people, not the "could have" scenario of suicide bombers who as stewards would have no greater access to crowds of people than any member of the general public yesterday.

We are told there is a terrorist threat and these people are very devious. An extreme scenario I admit, but this revelation will have seriously tarnished the jubilee - slave labour to protect one of the world's richest families.

And more of this at the olympics?