Labour considering loans for the unemployed!

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I should imagine it would be a bit like the student loans.

Looks like it.

If it is and it works on the same principle as student loans and you only pay it back when you find employment, then given the lack of jobs we have how many unemployed people will actually ever be able to pay it back ?
  • helioslumoshelioslumos Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it.

If it is and it works on the same principle as student loans and you only pay it back when you find employment, then given the lack of jobs we have how many unemployed people will actually ever be able to pay it back ?

Does it apply to those who are already unemployed? That's a genuine question - which I haven't been able to find an answer for. It would make sense to apply it to those who are already in a steady job, but it would be border-line criminal to apply it to those who haven't worked in years.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it apply to those who are already unemployed? That's a genuine question - which I haven't been able to find an answer for. It would make sense to apply it to those who are already in a steady job, but it would be border-line criminal to apply it to those who haven't worked in years.

It's contributions based isn't it, so I should imagine it would be linked on condition of a period of employment over the last year or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it apply to those who are already unemployed? That's a genuine question - which I haven't been able to find an answer for. It would make sense to apply it to those who are already in a steady job, but it would be border-line criminal to apply it to those who haven't worked in year.

I have no idea but I agree it should only apply to those in steady employment who lose their jobs and not the long term unemployed.
  • helioslumoshelioslumos Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It's contributions based isn't it, so I should imagine it would be linked on condition of a period of employment over the last year or so.

Yeah I figured something like this but couldn't find it in writing. It's a clever way to redefine the language of benefits, if nothing else
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to my thirty years of National Insurance contributions? They are loaning me back my money now with interest? :mad:
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Whatever happened to my thirty years of National Insurance contributions? They are loaning me back my money now with interest? :mad:

Sounds like it
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The way I read it is you'd still get your £71pw as now, and this loan is optional should you want it, and only the loan is repayable not the £71pw so nothing really changes as per NI to benefit entitlement but it'd help people out of work for a short-time. Personally I'd prefer it were the German method - when my cousin was made redundant she got 70% of her wages in benefits an it wasn't repayable nor limited to 6 months.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No they're not, you'd be able to take a loan out on top of your basic benefit.

If you want to get outraged, it's perhaps best directed at the Tory party who want people to work 40 hours a week for nothing, then call the very people working for nothing, lazy non working scum and sanction them.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    The way I read it is you'd still get your £71pw as now, and this loan is optional should you want it, and only the loan is repayable not the £71pw so nothing really changes as per NI to benefit entitlement but it'd help people out of work for a short-time. Personally I'd prefer it were the German method - when my cousin was made redundant she got 70% of her wages in benefits an it wasn't repayable nor limited to 6 months.

I hope you are correct Shaun. I don't know enough about the German scheme, but sounds a good idea. :)
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I surprised? It's the Labour way. When you've no money, borrow some.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea but it will never work. All that will happen is that we will end up with people with huge debts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Interesting idea but it will never work. All that will happen is that we will end up with people with huge debts.

Only the majority of them will have families (maybe university students with their own debts) to support :(
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour considering loans for the unemployed!

No shit? - Labour pledging to spend more borrowed public money they don't have?

I'd never have guessed.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It went into the pot and paid for things like Pensions, the NHS and education.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a good idea, it will probably operate like student loans where you only pay back when you have a job with sufficient salary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a good idea, it will probably operate like student loans where you only pay back when you have a job with sufficient salary.

But what happens if people don't get a job or they don't get a job with a sufficient salary to repay the loan and they run out of money again.... do they get another loan ?
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what happens if people don't get a job or they don't get a job with a sufficient salary to repay the loan and they run out of money again.... do they get another loan ?

With student loans, you don't have to pay them back at all if you don't earn enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With student loans, you don't have to pay them back at all if you don't earn enough.

I know, my youngest is a university student.

I'm not sure that it is a good idea though to give the unemployed loans at least until there are more jobs with high wages created.

BTW who will be paying for these loans?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    No shit? - Labour pledging to spend more borrowed public money they don't have?

I'd never have guessed.

What are the Tories doing again, oh yes borrowing money to give first time buyers a £20,000 loan towards their first massively overpriced new build house.

There's borrowing money to piss up a wall and there's borrowing money in a way that might help people. These loans could help an unemployed person move from an area with few jobs to one where there are plenty of jobs available, so in the long run that could be a good thing. Yes?:rolleyes:
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    These loans could help an unemployed person move from an area with few jobs to one where there are plenty of jobs available, so in the long run that could be a good thing. Yes?:rolleyes:
    im not sure such an area exists, and if it did house prices would be so high, that few could afford it.
  • Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    What are the Tories doing again, oh yes borrowing money to give first time buyers a £20,000 loan towards their first massively overpriced new build house.

There's borrowing money to piss up a wall and there's borrowing money in a way that might help people. These loans could help an unemployed person move from an area with few jobs to one where there are plenty of jobs available, so in the long run that could be a good thing. Yes?:rolleyes:

Where s this magical place, where I live one stacking job at tescos gets literally 100s of applicants.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    SallyArmy wrote: »
    Another idea from the Cruddas review.

The proposal is that those who become unemployed and have paid sufficient contributions, will be entitled to a loan of 70% of their salary for six months, up to a maximum of £200 a week.

The aim is to restore the link between the receipt of benefits and contributions, and avoid the financial cliff edge that can affect someone with a sudden loss of income.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/20/labour-plans-student-style-salary-loans-unemployed

On the back of a commitment to full employment from guaranteed job creation schemes, is this 'clear red water' in the pre election policy battle ground?

Bit of a daft idea really - take someone who has lost their income and give them another bill to pay - once their income returns - by which time they will need to catch up on any other bills that have fallen behind in that time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a daft idea really - take someone who has lost their income and give them another bill to pay - once their income returns - by which time they will need to catch up on any other bills that have fallen behind in that time.

So no different to allowing students to build up £40,000+ worth of debt based on assumptions about their future earnings potential which may or may not ever be paid back depending on how accurate that forecast is.

Or indeed loaning £20,000 to new homebuyers, who otherwise wouldn't meet lending criteria of the banks.

If this had been a Tory idea I suspect you'd be defending it to the hilt.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Where s this magical place, where I live one stacking job at tescos gets literally 100s of applicants.

Well if your up for it Aberdeen has 1% unemployment and every other advert on local radio stations is recruiting for work offshore, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off average £60,000 earnings.

You don't even have to live in the area, just be able to get to and from the heliport, Aberdeen is well served by mainline trains from King's Cross and Euston, and has regular daily flights from all the UKs major cities, including about 20 a day from LHR, Gatwick, Luton and LCY, Manchester...

This is why I think the loans might be a good idea, as it could help people keen to take opportunities elsewhere cover the often very expensive process of moving city. I've done it and it all adds up quickly.