Dennis Potter

2»

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I think it's still a kids show really, and still quite a cheesy one. Says it all that it is now considered almost a flagship drama for the BBC. How times change. I notice that there is very little drama about people, and what makes us tick, these days. Thoughtful, and profound drama seems to be considered too high-brow now, and mass appeal is all important, of course feed the masses shallow junk, they'll always accept that. It also serves to keep us a bit more docile.

I'd say Doctor Who IS the flagship BBC drama nowadays. The BBC trails it more than anything else. But then it is the best concept they've ever come up with, it can be any time, any place, the perfect storytelling device. That's why Potter would have been interested in writing for it.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'd say Doctor Who IS the flagship BBC drama nowadays. The BBC trails it more than anything else. But then it is the best concept they've ever come up with, it can be any time, any place, the perfect storytelling device. That's why Potter would have been interested in writing for it.

Yes, I suppose so. It's just a shame that there is very little in the way of interesting original drama these days. I'm sorry, but i don't call The Musketeers, Ripper st, Call the Midwife etc good drama, I know people like them, but for me those are the kind of people pleasing dramas they churn out without much thought.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I suppose so. It's just a shame that there is very little in the way of interesting original drama these days. I'm sorry, but i don't call The Musketeers, Ripper st, Call the Midwife etc good drama, I know people like them, but for me those are the kind of people pleasing dramas they churn out without much thought.

I think television has got the same problem films and the music industry have got. It's very difficult now to tell a new story that no one has heard before, just like it's very difficult to compose a new tune that no one has heard before. Hence the charts have been full of cover versions or heavy samples of old songs in recent years, Hollywood is full of remakes or sequels, and TV is full of reboots of old series.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I think television has got the same problem films and the music industry have got. It's very difficult now to tell a new story that no one has heard before, just like it's very difficult to compose a new tune that no one has heard before. Hence the charts have been full of cover versions or heavy samples of old songs in recent years, Hollywood is full of remakes or sequels, and TV is full of reboots of old series.

Sad times:(