Options

Tesco Express openings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know how many tesco expresses have opened in let's say the last 3 years because i have noticed so many of them popping up everywhere and it's really bugging me :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    between 2009/10 there was 183 opened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HOLY.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:!
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does that include the Tescos that just changed their names we had a Tesco near us that until a year or two back was called just Tesco. Then suddenly it was called Tesco Express.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should walk around Liverpool city centre its full of them some within 2 minutes of each other and there is even a metro and superstore that is literally with in a minute and a half of each other, its ridiculous.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many tesco expresses have opened in let's say the last 3 years ...

The man in charge of TESCO will know (it will be a man).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that include the Tescos that just changed their names we had a Tesco near us that until a year or two back was called just Tesco. Then suddenly it was called Tesco Express.

It includes name changes.
    phill363 wrote: »
    you should walk around Liverpool city centre its full of them some within 2 minutes of each other and there is even a metro and superstore that is literally with in a minute and a half of each other, its ridiculous.

54% of the UK population is within 15 minutes of a Tesco Extra
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm within a

5 min walk of a Tesco Express
    5 min drive to another Tesco express
    5 min drive to a Tesco Superstore

All opened in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In hertfordshire there are:

4 in St Albans (1 of them is a metro) with the giant one rejected
    2 in Potters Bar (either end of Mutton Lane)
    If the proposals go ahead there will be 2 superstores in the Welwyn Hatfield area :eek: oh yes and a few in the Watford area i'm not sure about all the others.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I'm within a

5 min walk of a Tesco Express
    5 min drive to another Tesco express
    5 min drive to a Tesco Superstore

All opened in the last couple of years.

Yes ive had 2 Tesco Expresse's open up recently practically right on top of each other.

Bloody ridicullas.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to Tesco I have 24 hour access to bacon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ive had 2 Tesco Expresse's open up recently practically right on top of each other.

Bloody ridicullas.

One of them's opened like just up the street from a morrisons in Fleetville road in St Albans and Walworth Road (A215) in South London. :mad:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to London a few years ago, and it seemed like every time I exited a tube station, there was a Tesco Express close by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I went to London a few years ago, and it seemed like every time I exited a tube station, there was a Tesco Express close by.

Was it central london because if so large corporations usually dominate the market there?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    godzilla55 wrote: »
    Was it central london because if so large corporations usually dominate the market there?
    yes it was I was a tourist for the day.

To be fair I can understand why you would put a shop next to a tube station, but a few less Tescos and Costas would have been nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to their store locator I have 30 nearby. These are the closest 7.
    STOURBRIDGE HALESOWEN EXPRESS

0.50 miles from search
    HASBURY EXPRESS

0.92 miles from search
    DUDLEY ROAD HALESOWEN EXPRESS

1.16 miles from search
    CRADLEY HEATH EXTRA

1.36 miles from search
    ROWLEY REGIS EXPRESS

2.30 miles from search
    STOURBRIDGE ESSO EXPRESS

3.77 miles from search
    QUINTON SUPERSTORE

3.78 miles from search
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    One opened down the street from me a couple of weeks ago. I love the self service checkouts in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it was I was a tourist for the day.

To be fair I can understand why you would put a shop next to a tube station, but a few less Tescos and Costas would have been nice.

There's a few novelty shops/restaurants lurking here and there you just gotta find them first it's quite tricky :p
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The terminology The corner 'shop' will eventually die out and will become The corner 'Tesco'
  • Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 4 within a short distance from us. A listed building that no one could get planning permission for, suddenly turned into a Tesco Express. A petrol station that was about to be demolished and flats built, is now a Tesco Express. A local furniture business that had been around for over 100 years and couldn't get bank support through the financial crash is now a Tesco Express.

Basically the 4 small localities that had a decent mix of independent shops are now run by Tesco. There is no need for 4 within walking distance of each other and it seems they re only there to force the competition to close down. I wouldn't be surprised once that happens, a couple of the Tescos close too.

What once looked like a future dominated by the 'evil' Microsoft, now looks like it wiil be Tesco and Apple run.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whilst not noticing Tesco, I think I read that their is a M&S food store near every central London Tube Station (those within the circle line), maybe Tesco going for the same strategy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    In Liverpool there does seem to be a new one popping up every week. I can't see the appeal of them personally apart from their location. There's never any staff on the tills and when you do find someone who works there they usually greet you with absolute contempt at interrupting their constant stock taking. Seems like they've given up customer care for convenience and I for one refuse to shop there.
  • Options
    tony71yugotony71yugo Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Tesco's i as well always thought they were a class above say a safeway or Frankie dee's but now there appeal has become less enamoured , They are definately not a cheap shopping experience i much prefer poundland or b@m for my bathroom durables , in my view they are a bit too rough and ready and should be banished from the face of the earth.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Tesco will rebrand a local One Stop? The shop is in a local village with 4,500 people, but local planning has seen the village expansion go ahead with 1,000 new homes being built to one end of the village.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The synergy of footfall makes them ideal locations. Would you prefer they were hidden down some difficult to find back street some distance from the station?
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Tesco will rebrand a local One Stop? The shop is in a local village with 4,500 people, but local planning has seen the village expansion go ahead with 1,000 new homes being built to one end of the village.
    I doubt it, one of the reasons they are called 'One Stop' is so the parent company 'Tesco' can build more shops in closer proximity to one another, no doubt to circumnavigate some obscure planning regulations.