Options

Children drinking dirty water

hunkyhunky Posts: 138
Forum Member
The Wateraid ad on the minority channels like E4 and More4 showing third world kids drinking filthy bacteria laden brown water and then getting diarrhoea has really upset me :cry: They have no choice, die of thirst or drink the foul water with human and animal waste in it. I feel like donating £2 a month as they ask but will it really help or just be swallowed up in admin fees? :confused:

We don't know we're born in this country.

Comments

• Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should stop having so many kids then shouldn't they. It's so over populated in the 3rd world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unneccessary when we have devices that make clean water out of fresh air eh?
  • Options
    hunkyhunky Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Sarah.1987 wrote: »
    They should stop having so many kids then shouldn't they. It's so over populated in the 3rd world.

Even if they just had one though he/she would still be drinking dirty water so I don't get your argument really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.1987 wrote: »

It's not them taking up all the resources. They live off sod all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No it won't help. Over the years they've had far more than £2 a month and there have been no significant changes. It's a lost cause that you shouldn't really allow yourself to get guilt-tripped into.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    they need to stop spend on guns and put some of the billions in aid into infrastructural projects and birth control

most of africas problems are to do with civil wars and conflict
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadiochao wrote: »
    No it won't help. Over the years they've had far more than £2 a month and there have been no significant changes. It's a lost cause that you shouldn't really allow yourself to get guilt-tripped into.

Most of the money given for Band Aid was spent on weapons did you know that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255160/Ethiopian-Band-Aid-money-used-rebels-fight-government-buying-food.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunky wrote: »
    The Wateraid ad on the minority channels like E4 and More4 showing third world kids drinking filthy bacteria laden brown water and then getting diarrhoea has really upset me :cry: They have no choice, die of thirst or drink the foul water with human and animal waste in it. I feel like donating £2 a month as they ask but will it really help or just be swallowed up in admin fees? :confused:

some of the posts here seem very negative and anti donation to me, I think if I were able to make a difference to the lives of a few people in these countries I would donate to a small charity who were going into africa or india to actually put a well in in a village, where they have no other access to clean water I believe there is one called something like wells for teh world, I'll look it up and get back to you.

found it dead easy (there are others) Franklin Wells for the World Foundation

another one www.worldconcern.org/water/
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Time to cut the purse strings and let them fend for themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Time to cut the purse strings and let them fend for themselves.

that sounds like the con-lib policy to me it won't work here and it doesn't stand a chance there.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the comedian who joked, I've just had my water bill for 100s of £s, I'm moving to Africa it only costs £2 a month there.:D
  • Options
    tamara1969tamara1969 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    What I dont understand is the water is apparently full of animal and human 'waste'.

Now, I appreciate you cannot teach the livestock not too pee or poop in the water that is used for drinking but why the bloody hell are the humans??? Surely to god they have the common sense to do it elsewhere and limit the polution in the water!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't they take the money and build wells, ie get the water from underground instead of using polluted ground water.

That's what we do here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such well-informed replies...
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they do good work but those sort of adverts are so faked that it would put me off donating.

It's like the "this puppy is traumatized because it saw it's mother being shot" one. No it isn't, it's got no concept of the meaning of life and death to the level necessary. But you can always put some sentimental voice over on a picture of a sad-eyed puppy.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they do good work but those sort of adverts are so faked that it would put me off donating.

It's like the "this puppy is traumatized because it saw it's mother being shot" one. No it isn't, it's got no concept of the meaning of life and death to the level necessary. But you can always put some sentimental voice over on a picture of a sad-eyed puppy.

Although I agree with you about the puppies this isnt about puppies

I look after my youngest grandchild who is a year old and she is a water guzzler. I cant imagine how I or her mum would feel knowing not only can she not have as much water as she likes, but when she does get it its filthy and just might kill her :(
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    tamara1969 wrote: »
    What I dont understand is the water is apparently full of animal and human 'waste'.

Now, I appreciate you cannot teach the livestock not too pee or poop in the water that is used for drinking but why the bloody hell are the humans??? Surely to god they have the common sense to do it elsewhere and limit the polution in the water!

Human waste makes for a better story!
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I agree with you about the puppies this isnt about puppies

I look after my youngest grandchild who is a year old and she is a water guzzler. I cant imagine how I or her mum would feel knowing not only can she not have as much water as she likes, but when she does get it its filthy and just might kill her :(

No but it is about the possibility of being manipulated by a clever advertising agency charged with producing an advert to maximize income for the client.

I am sure that there are many millions of people drinking water that is far below the purity of our own but I don't like the idea of an infant being sat in a brown puddle with a cow standing in it in order to elicit the response of the OP.
  • Options
    bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I don't see what they're whinging about. You can collect water in the morning via the dinural temperature range which creates dew on surfaces such as plastic.

But they'd rather drink from a dirty puddle than using a simple method any idiot can do, ironically Africa has the highest concentration of moisture on the planet so it's not like they have any excuse.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know theres a fair amount of ignorance in this thread already, but I don't understand why they all live so far away from water sources. They have had quite a while now to sort out basic things like this.
    I also don't get why it takes westerners to dig a well, surely all you need is a spade.
  • Options
    bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Because they love being waited on, the government complains about benefit spongers doing naff all but lying in and playing XBOX all day. Just look to Africa for a free ride, free food, free housing, free money, free industry.

They aint stupid.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hunky wrote: »

That's precisely how you're supposed to feel. They pry on people that are easily swayed and all it takes for you to part with your cash is a slight tug to your heart strings.

Sad, slow mo heartbreaking images and footage, mixed in with slow music and a narrator with a soothing, yet persuasive voice, is all it takes...... for some.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many years have we been pouring money into third world countries and how much has changed? Until they sort out the corrupt governments and educate the people it just seems a waste of time. I really do pity the poor people who have to live in these countries but I'm sceptical about how much money and aid ever reaches them.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    That's precisely how you're supposed to feel. They pry on people that are easily swayed and all it takes for you to part with your cash is a slight tug to your heart strings.

Sad, slow mo heartbreaking images and footage, mixed in with slow music and a narrator with a soothing, yet persuasive voice, is all it takes...... for some.

Well the OP asked if it was a good idea to give or does the money get swallowed up in other things. So are you all saying there are no dying children or are you saying no one can help them?

Ive been bombarded with these images all my life and I am in my mid 50s and they still hurt me to see them,

Strange though isnt it how when the shootings of the children in American had just happened people were saying "what about those millions dying in Africa, no one cares about them"
    Soon as someone does a thread they are treated to the same contempt :confused:
  • Options
    Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone in those hot parts of the world should have access to a solar still or even just clear plastics bottles so they make their own clean water.

I'm pretty sure a new solar still design just won a major international award, and costs less than £100, yet it doesn't appear to have gone into mass production which is very disappointing.

It's very annoying that such basic science/technology could transform so many lives but doesn't seem to be widely available.

There is no reason anyone in Africa should be drinking dirty and diseased water in the 21st century.