Why a female Doctor can never work/make sense!

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Even if the Doctor has some weird multi-sex gender, the fact that the Doctor has been male for over 900 years of his life would make a female regeneration nonsensical. If he's been male for 900 years why would he then switch to female? Surely it would have happened already?

This is meant as a rhetorical question and doesn't need any replies. :D

Unless you want to, of course, but you have to fill in the following form:

Digtal Spy Doctor Who forum Ref Number WHO123TARDIS.

and submit it before 7pm tonight.

Comments

• Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you said it was rhetorical but we are on a discussion board so :p

Maybe he's like the Dalai Lama and believes if the next regeneration needs to be a woman, then a woman the next regeneration shall be.

It could work if the Doctor was trying to stay under the radar, everyone would be looking for a male when 'Doctor' related incidents start happening again so being a woman would avoid detection for a while.

I don't think they really will make it a woman but given the right actress and the right reasons/storylines it could work and could result in a delayed 'big bad' because they aren't looking for a female. If that makes sense...
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if River giving up her regeneration energy to save him could have an effect ....
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could work if the Sonic Screwdriver was replaced with a Spatula or an iron. Boom-Tish.

*Gets coat* :o
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this comes across as sexist, I'll apologise in advance, but one reason I think a female Doctor will not work, is if the actress concerned is of child bearing age, & bearing in mind the production schedule can be ardous for a male actor, if she gets pregnant off screen, the production logistics will be a nightmare even more.

The closest WHO has come in the past to this, was the late Caroline John in 1970, who became pregnant during her stint & didn't return the following year(Barry Letts did actually axe her, but she wouldn't have come back anyway!).

If I'm wrong, can someone give me an example of a series with a similar production schedule & workload as Who, where the lead actress became pregnant?

You might say The X Files & Gillian Anderson, but there was David Duchovy to pick up the slack.

You could say Moonlighting & Cybill Shepherd, but that show had it's own problems anyway, without adding a pregnant actress into the mix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    You can combine the doctor being a woman with the doctor being a relatively older actor again and you don't have the above problem (probably). I'd like to see someone of Eccleston's age or older again.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    If this comes across as sexist, I'll apologise in advance, but one reason I think a female Doctor will not work, is if the actress concerned is of child bearing age, & bearing in mind the production schedule can be ardous for a male actor, if she gets pregnant off screen, the production logistics will be a nightmare even more.

The closest WHO has come in the past to this, was the late Caroline John in 1970, who became pregnant during her stint & didn't return the following year(Barry Letts did actually axe her, but she wouldn't have come back anyway!).

If I'm wrong, can someone give me an example of a series with a similar production schedule & workload as Who, where the lead actress became pregnant?

You might say The X Files & Gillian Anderson, but there was David Duchovy to pick up the slack.

You could say Moonlighting & Cybill Shepherd, but that show had it's own problems anyway, without adding a pregnant actress into the mix.

The actress of Jordan in Scrubs became pregnant so they used that as a storyline. Doctor who could to the same thing :o
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    We're talking about a show with a 900 year old alien, who fights off weird creatures and time travels, the show isn't realistic, I'm sure a female doctor will be more realistic than the aliens etc
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    In theory, a female Doctor should be possible.

In practice, a female Doctor's stories would probably nearly all end up being clumsy, badly-written attempts to preach about gender issues. (And especially clumsy since the writing team are mostly men.)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    In theory, a female Doctor should be possible.

In practice, a female Doctor's stories would probably nearly all end up being clumsy, badly-written attempts to preach about gender issues. (And especially clumsy since the writing team are mostly men.)

Or they would write the Doctor in exactly the same way the part has always been written. Nothing that could not have been portrayed by a woman.

Hell, Ive even heard in some parts they even play cricket and a few are partial to the odd jelly baby...woman eh!!

The role would not be written as A woman but as The Doctor. A female Doctor wouldn't be running around in a nice flowery summer dress but in a sharp suit or something similar.

Does Madam Vestra (?) bang on about doing the dishes and periods all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had they retained the character's asexuality they could've got away with a female regeneration. But given the introduction of romantic involvement and the habit of bringing those past partners back now and then, how do they work that one out after a gender change. Not impossible, but more than a little complicated for a tea-time show!

The Doctor in the past (since being shown to have any interest at all) has always played completely straight. He's not Captain Jack and never responded particularly well when Jack's flirts were aimed at him.

So if the Doctor becomes a woman does she lose all interest in Rose, in River beyond the purely platonic or does she remain only interested in women (again remembering the male Doctor has never show any interest in men). If the latter there would inevitably be strong criticism of bias especially given the presence of Vastra and Jenny.

I just think that's a huge, unnecessary, confusing can of worms to open. And kind of interesting that Classic Who could've have therefore got away with a gender change more easily than the New!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am against a female doctor because I feel that casting a female would suddenly mean making the Doctor a particular gender and up to now it hasn't been so. I realise the doctor is alien so technically it is possible for him to regenerate into a female, but is it plausible? Is it necessary? I would love to see a strong minded female timelord rivalling the Doctor. (Not a camp Rani creation) but a Romana type character. They could have the same purpose in each episode, to rid the universe of the weeks big bad, but they do it in different ways. That would add a really good dimension to the show and would make the female timelord a solid role in its own right. But not for the Doctor to be female, no.

Let's ask this to the feminists amongst us: If for the past 50 years the Doctor had been female and society had established the role as a female role, would it be right to change that totally successful format to cast a man just to make it balanced?
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a female doctor that'll be the end of doctor who for me.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I am against a female doctor because I feel that casting a female would suddenly mean making the Doctor a particular gender and up to now it hasn't been so. I realise the doctor is alien so technically it is possible for him to regenerate into a female, but is it plausible? Is it necessary? I would love to see a strong minded female timelord rivalling the Doctor. (Not a camp Rani creation) but a Romana type character. They could have the same purpose in each episode, to rid the universe of the weeks big bad, but they do it in different ways. That would add a really good dimension to the show and would make the female timelord a solid role in its own right. But not for the Doctor to be female, no.

Let's ask this to the feminists amongst us: If for the past 50 years the Doctor had been female and society had established the role as a female role, would it be right to change that totally successful format to cast a man just to make it balanced?

Personally if it made sense to the story I wouldn't mind. Like I said he could be in hiding better if he (she) was a different gender to the previous regenerations. That said I would prefer a strong female timelord as the Doctor is typically male and is a good role model for young boys.

I just wouldn't have such an issue as everyone else seems to have if the Doctor regenerated into a female; as long as it was done well.
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Or they would write the Doctor in exactly the same way the part has always been written. Nothing that could not have been portrayed by a woman.

They could, but I don't believe they would. Call me a cynical pessimist if you like, but I just plain don't share your faith in the writing team.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    It needs to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could, but I don't believe they would. Call me a cynical pessimist if you like, but I just plain don't share your faith in the writing team.

And, they would have to write a plotline regarding WHY he's changed into a woman without making it feel too weird. Because let's face it, it really would be weird wouldn't it. This isn't about a woman's inabilities to play the role. Of course there are fabulous female actors perfectly capable. But the thought that a female Doctor would just carry on the way a male Doctor has for the past fifty years is totally unrealistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestos wrote: »
    It needs to happen.

No it doesn't. There is no reason whatsoever for it to happen. I don't know why you insist on keep telling everyone that it "needs to happen".
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    It needs to happen.
    No it really doesn't. And I sincerely hope it hasn't.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It needs to happen.
    Why? Just to please the PC brigade.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

One BIG flaw - what if it's an older woman? One beyond child-bearing age or one who has completed a family?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hell, Ive even heard in some parts they even play cricket and a few are partial to the odd jelly baby...woman eh!!

The role would not be written as A woman but as The Doctor. A female Doctor wouldn't be running around in a nice flowery summer dress but in a sharp suit or something similar.

Very good points, especially that last one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Even if the Doctor has some weird multi-sex gender, the fact that the Doctor has been male for over 900 years of his life would make a female regeneration nonsensical. If he's been male for 900 years why would he then switch to female? Surely it would have happened already?

This is meant as a rhetorical question and doesn't need any replies. :D

Unless you want to, of course, but you have to fill in the following form:

Digtal Spy Doctor Who forum Ref Number WHO123TARDIS.

and submit it before 7pm tonight.

Well, that was an in-depth analysis. :rolleyes:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stealing male iconography... A very weird idea of equality, seems more like revenge.

Granted there is inequality in fiction, but pulling down men in order to create illusory equality for women is counter-productive and immature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Stealing male iconography... A very weird idea of equality, seems more like revenge.

Granted there is inequality in fiction, but pulling down men in order to create illusory equality for women is counter-productive and immature.

Brilliantly put. But sadly the sort of counter productive stunt the current Doctor Who showrunner would do in order to add shock value to the show and create headlines. Not sure if EVERY person who watches now would watch again though.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

Excellently put