Options

Derek Griffiths

Comments

• Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a woman called Maggie Henderson who did some programmes with him as well?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Wasn't there a woman called Maggie Henderson who did some programmes with him as well?

She did the voices for the Alberto Frog and His Amazing Animal Band section of Bod
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    She did the voices for the Alberto Frog and His Amazing Animal Band section of Bod

Ah. Then I am Bod-obsessed I think...I dont' think Maggie H was ever heard of again!

And Alberto Frog! Guess the milkshake flavour...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    Ah. Then I am Bod-obsessed I think...I dont' think Maggie H was ever heard of again!

And Alberto Frog! Guess the milkshake flavour...

This thread is lovely. So many happy memories. I hadn't thought about Bod for a while. It was such a cool programme.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Bod, was like a yellow triangle :D
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Always seemed like a lovely guy, was a big part of so many childhoods.

For years, I mistakenly thought he sang the theme to "The Littlest Hobo" :o
  • Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was also moonwalking years before Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many many years ago he played a defendant in Crown Court who was charged with fraud and obtaining money under false pretences
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work might be thin on the ground, but I would always have thought he'd have more integrity than to voice an ad for a parasitical legaglized loan shark outfit.
  • Options
    tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I think he was the first black man on kid's TV in the UK.

He was very warm and welcoming...unlike Andi Peters.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    He was in The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff last year too.
  • Options
    Nia70Nia70 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this thread so much.. fills me with warm childhood memories :)
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Bod soundtrack he plays and sings on ( http://www.trunkrecords.com/turntable/bod.shtml ). His voice always sends me back a few decades!
    Watch with Mother, then Pebble Mill at 1!
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total blast from the past this thread is.

Loved him growing up.

He has one of those voices which just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling :)
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I remember him well from children's tv in the seventies when I was growing up.

He was also in the film 'Up Pompeii' with frankie howerd. He had a cameo role playing the slave who pedals the steam generating machine in the saunas at the roman baths.
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him on the stage at Stratford on Avon in Twelfth Night (RSC) about 1994.

I immediately recognised him from my childhood in the 70s in Playaway and it was a bit strange to see him in Shakespeare but he was very good, playing one of the comedy characters.
  • Options
    Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching him playing Potter's assistant in a repeat of Please Sir!, a few years ago.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else recall 70s kids' show Ragtime? He was one of the main presenters.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him in that recent BBC3 comedy about the lads who set up an assisted suicide group. It's first time I've seen him on TV in years!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else recall 70s kids' show Ragtime? He was one of the main presenters.

was he? I remember Fred with the beard and a woman
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was one of those presenters that was everywhere - kids TV and schools programmes - and could seemingly do a bit of everything. We were so lucky back then in having presenters who had so much experience and talent. I saw the girl who plays Maria in Corrie do an episode of "Bookaboo" recently and she could barely manage to read a story.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    was he? I remember Fred with the beard and a woman

Well, perhaps not a main presenter. I remember him being on it, though. I remember he lifted up his jumper, and there was some sort of moving image on his chest and belly, courtesy of trick photography.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Wasnt he the singer on the Prius car advert? :D
  • Options
    gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were always kids tv presenters you knew deep down were a bit "iffy" but there are a few decent ones that are totally trustworthy and honest and Derek Griffiths is one of them.

Thank god not all our childhood tv friends are like the odious one now facing the courts.

Derek also played a cockney spiv in an episode of Til Death Us Do Part. His acting and fast pace even by the then very good acting standards, was superb..